Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Club statement re ESL - SPOT ON.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The Club's statement

Ahead of today’s Premier League meeting involving the 14 clubs who haven’t signed up to be part of a European Super League, Brighton & Hove Albion has issued the following statement on behalf of Tony Bloom (chairman), Paul Barber (chief executive and deputy chairman), Dan Ashworth (technical director), and Graham Potter (head coach):

Brighton & Hove Albion are totally opposed to plans for a breakaway European Super League as it would destroy the dreams of clubs at every level of the domestic game.

These plans are the latest in an alarming and growing list of clandestine attempts from a small group of clubs whose actions would be wiping out close to 150 years of football’s tradition, competition, and sporting progress through merit.

The ups and downs of football – promotion, relegation, winning titles and cups, challenging for, or missing out, on a European place – are all part and parcel of the drama, jeopardy, joy and heartbreak that makes our game the most watched and most loved in the world.

These key attributes create significant value from which we feed a financial support structure which helps to sustain football at every level in our country and well beyond. By contrast, a European Super League would concentrate value for the benefit of a small number of clubs.

The efforts to create a closed-shop for all but the largest clubs demonstrate a clear lack of respect for the contributions of all clubs within the domestic leagues in this country and across Europe.

Plans for a European Super League also totally disregard fans, the lifeblood of our sport at professional levels, and fly in the face of the views and wishes of the overwhelming majority of football supporters of all clubs.

These clubs, like Brighton & Hove Albion, invest heavily to support their own dreams, and those of their fans, to play at the highest level they can, and to help create a sense of pride in their own clubs across the country.

Off the pitch, we remain custodians of our clubs on behalf of past, present and future generations of fans and the communities we all represent. This is a responsibility we believe we must all take very seriously.

It has been hugely encouraging to see universal opposition and widespread condemnation from across the game from various football authorities, fans, players, commentators, pundits and media, and all-party opposition in government.

We will continue to work with those groups, including the UK government and MPs of all political parties, football’s governing bodies and all of our colleagues across football to oppose and defeat these plans.

Ultimately, we are committed to a thriving domestic league and pyramid with the ultimate reward of European competition for achievements and success on the field. We remain open to a transparent, calm and rationale dialogue with all clubs to achieve this.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
A personal thank you to you all:

Tony Bloom (chairman)

Paul Barber (chief executive and deputy chairman)

Dan Ashworth (technical director)

Graham Potter (head coach)

It feels so lucky to have you at our club

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very well worded piece.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Excellent. And none of this 'chuck them out' rubbish.

The owners of the 'big 6' need to know that the name of their clubs is bigger than their investment.

We need those teams back in the fold. We need their owners to **** off.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Its ok.

Not so keen on this line -

"We remain open to a transparent, calm and rationale dialogue with all clubs to achieve this"

Of course it has to be that way but would like to see harder words and actions against the 6.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Sorry I posted the other thread as I missed this one.

A personal thank you to everyone involved at our club

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Its ok.

"We remain open to a transparent, calm and rationale dialogue with all clubs to achieve this"

Of course it has to be that way but would like to see harder words and actions against the 6.

Don't think that's in our Tony's nature to be so combative.

He probably realises if those 6 clubs are to be talked down from the ledge a calm, open, level headed approach needs to be applied.

Barber is the same, our head people are always considered in what they say.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Its ok.

If they join the Super League the action is clear enough as legislated already. But I'm totally opposed to banning players, who have no part in this, from international competition

Don't think that's in our Tony's nature to be so combative.

He probably realises if those 6 clubs are to be talked down from the ledge a calm, open, level headed approach needs to be applied.

Barber is the same, our head people are always considered in what they say.

Quite.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Good as an interim holding statement before the meeting of the remaining 14 today - calm and open to discussion. I'm hoping the statement from the collective 14 will be far more hard hitting and threatening.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If they join the Super League the action is clear enough as legislated already. But I'm totally opposed to banning players, who have no part in this, from international competition

The problem being is that those players are key to the six clubs - they are expensive assets. That's why they either need to stand up and be counted ( maybe slapping in transfer requests ) or be banned. If the players see their career fading away overnight they are more likely to speak up.

Altered State

Feb 19, 2008
Olney, Bucks
Exactly what needed to be said. Well done the Seagulls.

Re the 'refuse to play the six' stuff - the problem would be with existing contracts wouldn't it? TV contracts, of course, and PL rules about failing to fulfil fixtures. For the rest of this season, better to take the high ground.

Frankly if the six do go off to their own bubble then let's ensure they have no way back.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Its ok.

I'm not interested in seeing these clubs receive harsh words. It's not the clubs as such, it's the greedy foreign tossers running them. Once this ESL has been defeated, it's time to insist on new rules that ban people like these from owning clubs. It is probably time to look at the German model and implement something similar.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Good as an interim holding statement before the meeting of the remaining 14 today - calm and open to discussion. I'm hoping the statement from the collective 14 will be far more hard hitting and threatening.

I will be delighted if that turns out to be the case. I would observe that Everton have no such qualms; their statement is far punchier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here