Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Last 16, Tie 1/8

1-2 vs. Swindon Town 2003/04 Division Two Play Offs

Thursday, 20 May, 2004 Att: 6,876

Record:

Group A Winner 86.02%

Albion were seconds away from going out, but ‘you’re not there yet Swindon fans’. Adam Virgo’s late late late header forced penalties.

Sam Parkin had levelled the tie on the night before Rory Fallon gave Swindon the lead.

Tommy Mooney was denied by Ben Roberts and Andy Gurney crashed his spot kick against the post to send us to the Millennium Stadium to face Bristol City in the Division Two Play Off Final

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPeN0u_LbBA

1-0 vs. Leeds United, 2004/05 , The Championship

Saturday 23rd October 2004 Att: 6,716

Record:

Group B Runner Up – 20.97%

Three years prior to this fixture Leeds had been semi-finalists in the Champions League. On this day – by now you can guess the weather – they slumped to a 1-0 defeat at the hands of The Albion, ending the game with nine men.
The programme said:

‘Now this may sound like gloating, but of course, we wouldn't dream of such a thing. All the same, when a small club, it's team packed with youngsters and free transfer signings to extend that only one member of the team cost a fee (and that was Charlie Oatway, not a bad 10 grands worth) beats one of English football's megaclubs, it has to be celebrated

Miserable for them, but wonderful for us. Albion wanted the points more and played better, giving us one of the best ever Withdean afternoons.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/3748968.stm

From the Grauniad:

How low can the fortunes of Leeds sink? After this wretched afternoon at a rain-swept Withdean, the answer may be that there is still some way to go.

They were beaten by a side who went above them in the table as a result, then had two players sent off in the final few minutes, after having three others booked, and were told in no uncertain terms by manager Kevin Blackwell that their performance was unacceptable.

If Leeds are to stand any chance of making an impact on this Championship season, they will have to start matching the effort of supposedly inferior teams and keep their frustrations in check. Blackwell will also have to find someone to improve a scoring record inferior to everyone bar rock-bottom Rotherham.

Michael Ricketts and Brian Deane are still to register a league goal. Brett Ormerod ended his six-match loan spell from Southampton with another blank and here, for once, Danny Pugh was unable to come to his side's rescue.

When Darren Currie's angled free-kick was glanced in by Adam Virgo for his fifth goal as a makeshift striker. The ball deflected off Clarke Carlisle on its way in, but afterwards Virgo insisted that it was goal.

Leeds then began to lose the plot. They had plenty of possession, but no cutting edge. Deane and Carlisle headed chances wide and Simon Walton blazed over from Deane's knock-down. Matthew Kilgallon, booked already, tackled substitute Gary Hart from behind and paid the price.

Then, in injury time, with Brighton making every effort to run down the clock, skipper Paul Butler saw yellow for dissent, followed by a straight red for further remarks.

Blackwell insisted Kilgallon got the ball and pledged to contest Butler's dismissal if referee Richard Beeby puts forward foul language as the reason in his report. But the manager was still furious with his team.

'When you know the referee is as bad as this fellow, you keep your mouth shut,' he said. 'What I will say to Paul is between me and him.

'Fair play to Brighton. They set out their stall and chased us all over the park. We were not good enough and we got what we deserved - nothing.

'With so many youngsters in the side, it's difficult to rip into them too much. But I'm angry and I hope the players are angry too.'

Blackwell, who has been pursuing Preston's David Healy, added: 'I don't have the strikers with the wisdom, knowledge and guile. Please God, I will be able to get the players in that I need.'

Brighton manager Mark McGhee, whose side deserved the points for greater all-round commitment, said: 'It was an important win because we were in danger of slipping into the bottom three.

'The attraction of playing Leeds is still there and the players were determined to get the three points. But we know there is still a lot of work to do to stay in this division.'

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was at both those games, which is nice. Many of the other highlights we have been voting on are a mystery to me. My bad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here