• 2-1 vs.Chelsea 2005-06 FA Youth Cup

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Group H

The final group, last 16 will start tomorrow morning! A special group with five entries.

1-0 vs. Chesterfield 2000/01 Division Three

Monday 1st May 2000, Att: 6,847

After all the talk about controversy and corruption in football, what better place to start today than North East Derbyshire. Crooked spire, crooked club.
We are, still to this day, resented by the Spirities due to our rivalry twenty years ago. The reverse fixture in October had resulted in Charlie being sent off and a last minute Jamie Ingledow winner.

Despite a wonky start. Albion had been on course for promotion throughout 2000/01 season, occupying either second or third from September until the end of April.

As far as the top spot, that was for Chesterfield, the Derbyshire club opening up a gigantic lead over the rest of the field to seemingly bag the title by February. Except Chesterfield had been naughty boys with all sorts of financial irregularities lining their closet.

When these cam to light some sort of punishment became inevitable. By the time Chesterfield were docked nine points for their misdemeanours Albion had long kicked for the finish line. Against a backdrop of ‘it’s not fair – we’re the rightful champions” moans originating from Saltergate, the two sides met at Withdean during the final week of the season. Albion’s players were hell bent on righting wrongs following Charlies red card in the corresponding fixture (safe to say the Chesterfield players played a significant role in his sending off).

For 79 minutes visiting goalkeeper Mike Pollitt kept us out until finally being beaten by a Danny Cullip thumping, deciding header. Ultimately the nine point deduction was immaterial – we would have won the league anyway.

In the game when the title was secured, the South Stand decided to make their feelings known about the financial irregularities going on at Saltergate by throwing brown envelopes in the air, with the masterpiece being a giant one that was around 20 square feet and was passed over supporters heads.

Somewhere there are lots of photos from that day. What a night. Our first league title in three decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeIp6uZR5S0

sm13.jpg

6-2 vs. Torquay United 2000/01 Division Three

Saturday 2nd September 2000 Att: 5,804

Our third highest victory at Withdean came in our second season. The second game from the 2000/01 Division Three season in this group. A bit of a different story to the Neville Southall masterclass we were witnessing a year previous.

On the back of the terrible Kidderminster game, Zamora began to justify his £100,000 price tag as he grabbed a hat-trick against a Torquay United side who were single handily torn apart by both him and Nathan Jones who grabbed two goals himself from the left flank.

11v11.com

After a terrible August when Albion lost three out of four league games, Brighton got their promotion ambitions back on track with a sound drubbing of their south coast rivals.

Only five days after being booed off the Withdean pitch for a dire display against Kidderminster, Torquay suffered a severe backlash. In the contest of the Seagulls and the Gulls, it was Brighton who got off to a flyer when young goal ace Bobby Zamora set out on his way to his second hat-trick for his new club.

The 19 year-old striker made it 11 in 12 League starts with two bullet headers then a confident left foot strike from 12 yards. Another new Seagull got in on the act to announce his arrival. Left wing back Nathan Jones struck twice. His first goals for the Sussex club came via a cross shot from a tight angle, then a powerful header from the penalty spot distance.

It was Gary Hart who made up the half dozen when he stabbed home Kerry Mayo's long throw. Brighton took it easy after going three up in half an hour. It allowed Torquay to sneak in for their double. Kevin Parker saw his left foot shot go past Mark Cartwright. Frenchman Jules Mendy then wriggled past two challenges before netting with his right foot. Both were first Gull goals but were of little consolation.

To make matters worse, they had big Jimmy Aggrey sent-off for violent conduct. He had also been booked in each of his three previous 2000-01 Div Three appearances.

From the BBC

Bobby Zamora scored a hat-trick as Brighton ended a run of three successive defeats with a thumping 6-2 victory over Torquay.

Nathan Jones also scored twice to boost the Seagulls, who were booed-off when beaten by Kidderminster in their previous game.

Zamora gave Brighton a great start by heading in Paul Watson's free-kick after only nine minutes.

Gary Hart notched his first of the season 11 minutes later from Kerry Mayo's long throw.

Another Mayo throw set up Jones to make it 3-1 after 29 minutes.

But three minutes later Torquay pulled one back as Plymouth-born striker Kevin Parker fired in from the edge of the area.

Then, seven minutes before half-time, substitute Jules Mendy made it 3-2 with a neat finish from a through ball by Mick O'Brien.

But Jones struck again by heading in Brighton's fourth and his second from a Paul Watson cross in first-half injury-time.

Zamora headed in Brighton's fifth from a cross by Mayo after 65 minutes, and he completed his hat-trick five minutes from time by slotting in a centre from Jones.

Brighton: Cartwright, Watson, Mayo, Cullip, Hart, Oatway, Brooker, Carpenter, Jones, Wicks, Zamora. Subs: Rogers, Thomas, Ramsay, Melton, Davis.

Torquay: Jones, Herrera, Holmes, Watson, Aggrey, Williams, Hill, Douglin, O'Brien, Ford, Parker. Subs: Tully, Northmore, Mendy, Ashington, Benfield.

Referee: P Walton

Freeman makes history, 4-2 vs. Exeter City, 1999/2000

Monday 3rd January 2000, Att: 5,746

A true moment of footballing history, local lad Darren Freeman scored the first goal of the new Millennium.

Freeman scored the first English professional goal of the Millennium as Exeter City were defeated 4-2 at Withdean on Monday 3rd January 2000.

Pinamonte struck twice on that day, the performance that convinced Adams that the Italian stallion was the man to lead Brighton’s attack on a more permanent basis.

From The Argus: https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/6797676.freeman-enters-the-record-books/

DARREN Freeman has written himself into the record books and made it a Happy New Year for Albion fans.

Freeman fired the first goal of the Millennium in yesterday's 4-2 victory against Exeter at Withdean.

He celebrated his second minute volley by raising his shirt to reveal a message to Seagulls supporters.

"I told my girlfriend Lorraine I was going to score the first goal,"

Freeman explained. "I grabbed an old T-shirt and wrote Happy New Year on it with a big black marker.

"I went into the toilets to put the T-shirt on. I didn't want any of the lads to see it, because they would have abused me!

"I was delighted when the ball went in, so I just lifted my shirt up and wished all the crowd a Happy New Year.

"To get any goal is satisfying, yet alone the first one of the Millennium. That makes it a bit more special."

Freeman receives an award from Football League sponsors Nationwide for his historic strike.

Assistant manager Alan Cork declared: "Brighton's golden boy has done it again! I expect he will be in the Guinness Book of Records now."

On-loan Italian Lorenzo Pinamonte broke his duck by scoring twice and captain Paul Rogers added his sixth of the season.

Cork said: "I have been calling Lorenzo barn door, because he hasn't threatened to score in training. I have been trying to explain to him what it means.

"He flicks balls on and he has got an excellent touch for such a big lad. Hopefully there are better things to come from him."

The result, hot on the heels of a four-point haul over Christmas against top two Rotherham and Barnet, was the perfect tonic for flu-hit manager Micky Adams and moved Albion up two places to 13th ahead of Saturday's trip to Rochdale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mGlQFkLvkE&t=8m38s

3-3 vs. Hartlepool United, 2008/09 FA Cup First Round

8th November 2008 Att: 2,545

The lowest attendance in the competition saw a proper classic Withdean moment.

Hartlepool were the FA Cup visitors and a cross in from the left was met with a diving header from Hawkins at full stretch that powered into the bottom corner of John Sullivan’s goal.

This was one of the best own goals you will ever see and what made it even better is that it helped Hartlepool secure a 3-3 draw, condemning 92 Albion fans to a Tuesday night, 600 mile round trip for the replay. As we have already noted, Hawkins then went and gave away a penalty at Victoria Park to ensure Brighton’s elimination.

Three penalties conceded, at least one goal which could be directly attributed to him and a cracking own goal in 24 appearances represented a solid start to Hawkins’ Albion career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXgTXD_Z5h4

2-1 vs. Chelsea Youth Team 2005/06 FA Cup

Monday 16th January 2006: Att: ??????????????????????

I know it’s a fifth e try to the group, but who minds! A night like no other at Withdean, and probably one of the most unsafe and chaotic! The scenes to get into the ground before the game and after it kicked off were something else. I remember being crushed in the family stand before buckets being passed round for people who hadn’t paid in the mad rush to get in.

The game us picked up by We Are Brighton:

http://wearebrighton.com/albionfeatures/what-happened-to-the-brighton-youth-team-class-of-2006/

Dick Knight used to have a dream. It was a pretty far-fetched one, but he still had it – when the Amex Stadium opened, he wanted a Brighton and Hove Albion team consisting of 11 home grown players to be taking to the pitch at the new Community Stadium.

That dream was fuelled by the Brighton Youth Team of 2006. They were viewed as something of a golden generation as under the management of Dean Wilkins, they knocked big spending Chelsea and another Premier League outfit Blackburn Rovers out of the FA Youth Cup.

Wilkins’ side suffered a heartbreaking elimination to Newcastle United in the quarter finals. That’s still a record run in the competition, despite the many millions of pounds thrown at young players and the Albion’s elevation to category one academy status.

The Withdean victory over a Chelsea side managed by Brendan Rodgers and containing the likes of Ryan Bertrand, Scott Sinclair, Sam Hutchinson and a certain Liam Bridcutt has become the stuff of Brighton legend in the intervening 14 years.

Over 4000 supporters turned up at Withdean when the club were only expecting 1500 odd to fill the North Stand. Eventually, the South Stand had to be opened and the fixture was played out in front of a better atmosphere than many first team games in that relegation season took place in.

The Albion ran out 2-1 winners through goals from Joe Gatting and Dan Leach. Sinclair scored for Chelsea, but there could be no complaints about the final score come the full time whistle. Wilkins, ever the perfectionist, told The Argus afterwards that he felt his side could play even better.

Six of Wilkins’ starting XI that night went onto play first team football for the Albion – making them one of the most successful youth teams in the club’s history – but none of them appeared in a Brighton shirt at the Amex as Knight had hoped.

BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION:

GK 1 John Sullivan
RB 2 Paul Hinshelwood
CB 5 Sonny Cobbs
CB 6 Scott Chamberlain
LB 3 Tommy Elphick
RM 7 Tommy Fraser
CM 4 Wes Fogden
CM 8 Dan Taylor Sub off '86
LM 11 Joe Gatting
CF 9 Dan Leach
CF 10 Ashley Jarvis
Substitutes:
SB 12 Lloyd Skinner Sub on ‘86

CHELSEA:
GK 1 Nick Hamann
RB 2 Sam Hutchinson
CB 3 Harry Worley Sub off.'74
CB 4 Jack Cork (c)
LB 5 Ryan Bertrand
DM 6 Liam Bridcutt
AMR 7 Shaun Cummings
CM 8 Dean Furman
CF 9 Jack Watkins Sub off.png '58
AM 10 James Simmonds
AML 11 Scott Sinclair
Substitutes:
LB 12 Jonas Elmer Sub on.'74
AMR 14 Fabio Ferreira Sub on.'58
Manager:
Brendan Rodgers

2020-03-brighton-youth-800x445 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Cheaterfraud and it’s a contender for the big prize. A great night. Justice for the real champs who always played within our means. Also for the team who more than held their own after the game, for me a defining Withdean night

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
This is going to get rather tough as the rounds progress
So far I think it’s usually been a clear winner each round for me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here