Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] ESL compromise ?

Browncow155

Jan 28, 2020
Hi there , first time poster long time viewer bla bla. I've spent at least the hour thinking about a solution/ compromise for the ESL situation and have come up with this ... I think it'll be cool .. let me know what you guys think ... it's obviously not very traditional and would be a massive change for us to get used too, but I feel there are a lot of pros here. Feel free to add to it if you so desire and perhaps we at NSC could revolutionise football as we know it ...

European Super League

- compromise Solution !

20 teams - who only play in the ESL home and Away League - and also an ESL cup ( 20 team Champions League ) - they don't play national league

Bottom 4 teams from ESL relegated back to country pyramid division

4 promoted - ESL qualification league could be similar to Champions League & Europa League atm where every team from every county has a chance to qualify and top 4 promoted to ESL for the next season - ESL qualification Cup /league would run along side the national leagues of each Country - PL , La Liga , Serie A . As the CL / EL does now.

English League -

Get rid of EFL cup and just have the FA Cup with winners qualifying for ESL qualification Cup

Pros

- [ ] would make national leagues and Cups more Competitive.
- [ ] Would offer more clubs European football and chances of European successs not just Europe's Elite
- [ ] More chance for smaller teams to win their national cup
- [ ] Teams can still dream of reaching the heights of the ESL
- [ ] Reduce Fixture congestion for all clubs
- [ ] Get fans excited again at smaller clubs with better chances of winning
- [ ] Massive games every week for ESL clubs like they want

Cons

- [ ] Biggest teams won't play in national league anymore

Notes

- [ ] money would have to drain down from ESL into national leagues appropriately
- [ ] ESL would effectively become the top league of a European pyramid system
- [ ] ESL could potentially have 20 English teams if they were the best in Europe.
- [ ] Would really create an Elite competition for the greatest teams
- [ ] Fair compromise

Idea credited to NSC 19/4/21

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
You wouldn't know how many teams from each country would be relegated back to their national leagues, and therefore how many teams would be relegated down the divisions. Chaos.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Are you Daniel Levy in disguise.

There has to be no compromise. Domestic teams play in domestic leagues. There's been too many compromises to get to this stage, ie the expansion of the European Cup into a league, the proposed expansion of this league.

All that the ESL will do is create even larger divide between the top and bottom. They are already proposing a tier system for payments ranging from 250m Euros for the top 5 and the bottom club only getting 100m.

I don't wish to be rude but 'football fans' like the OP are just what the ESL are counting on.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Although there are some fans on NSC who would rather compete in the Championship (I get it - no VAR, more weekend fixtures at normal times, probably more wins) the majority want to see us compete in the Premier League as it is now.

It means a lot to take points off the Top 6, the whole fight for survival is a season-long soap opera and going toe to toe in the transfer market with some of Europe's big clubs like Benfica, Dortmund or loaning players to Boca Juniors raises the profile of the club and the city.

That and the chance of Wembley with a cup run makes it the only place to be.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Let's not beat the OP up for making a suggestion (even though as the first reply explains this is a non starter - a relegated Arsenal replaced by a promoted Dortmund would have the Arse playing in the Bundesliga.....

Hang on....:lolol:)

Assuming there will be an ESL, there is ony one way it would work: UEFA, FA. FL and EPL (and the other domestic organizations) cave in and let the ESL enjoy wankoff Wednesdays.

The alternative is to stand their ground and expel the pirates and their players from all domestic and international football.

My expectation is some sort of cockamamie compromise.

Yoda

English & European
Lets be hypothetical for a minute. Say 3 of the four teams relegated from the ESL are from the same country (England as we have 6 at the minute) You really expect the Premier League to relegate 6 teams to accommodate them? Or even worse, not allow any promoted from the Championship?

Browncow155

Jan 28, 2020
Yeah I do see that relegation issue .. hadn't properly considered that TBH.

Was trying to conceive an idea that would allow for an ESL with a fair and sporting chance for all teams in Europe ( if good enough to be able to get promoted to it. Agreed it would increase the divide of riches between the top teams and the others but this divide already exists. It already takes a very wealthy investor to get to the top of the English game or any other league.

So basically if it's going to happen I would want it done properly rather than what is proposed at the moment, with always the same 12 teams 😂 it will be like a pre season tourney in the middle of a season. The only audience will be fans who
Support the players rather than the teams.

I say if you gonna have an ESL do it properly. Could you imagine a league with 20 of the best teams in Europe and a chance to get promoted into it ! Be F epic. - the relegation battle between RM and Arsenal etc etc

But yeah relegation would need a solution

Browncow155

Jan 28, 2020
Yeah I do see the issue of the relegation. TBH I hadn't considered that thoroughly. 😂 .. I feel as though a solution could be found though.

I really do think there could be a place for a Super League. But it has to be done properly ! ..

Not what is being thrown around now with a pony comp where 12 teams have sticking rights and 5 teams would have qualify for the 'privilege' to play them! 😂 it's just lame. It's gonna feel like a pre season friendly tournament played in the middle of a competitive season. No one from a country that really understands sport will watch it. It will have fans but only 'player fans' not team fans and it will ruin the domestic game. I think we are all agreed on that.

All I'm hearing in the chat and the news is no, no, no - traitors, doc em points, kick them out, punish them. HWT above thinks the only way it work is just to let them do it and **** each other off every Wednesday. Yeah I mean what ever they could do that but it will still be shit! - they'll
Be moaning about fixture congestion champions league will be hampered, the teams might not care about the PL and treat it like the efl cup.

Why not search for solutions ..

Of course the top teams and owners want to make more money that is life. Yes it will increase the divide between the rich and poor teams but that divide already exists. To get to the top of the game clubs already need an investor with Billions of £'s.

What I'm suggesting is a competitive European Super League where Clubs have to earn their right to play there.

League Table would look this e.g

P. Points
1. Milan 38 80
2. PSG. 38. 79
3. Real Madrid 38. 72
4. Man City. 38. 66
5. Juventus 38. 66
6. Bayern M. 38. 61
7. Liverpool. 38. 58
8. Lyon. 38. 57
9 CSK Moscow. 38. 55
10 Barcelona. 38. 53
11. Tottenham. 38. 53
12. Benfica. 38. 52
13 . Ajax. 38. 49
14. Rangers. 38. 47
15. A Madrid. 38. 45
16. Brighton. 38. 40
---------------------------------------------
17. Fulham. 38 39
18. Inter. 38. 39
19. Dortmund. 38. 32
20. Arsenal. 38. 1

Be freaking Epic !!

All of a sudden teams like Celtic .. PSG.. BM .. Juventus <--- ( all bad examples this year) will be able compete rather that just stroll to the title every year.

- the money will be huge - which is a GOOD THING for football because that is how economies grow. Huge money will be passed down to the domestic leagues, the stadiums will get bigger .. the interest in all football will grow.

- The qualification comp could be amazing ! Imagine the 1 billion game ( play off final game to qualify!! or something )

- the competitiveness of domestic leagues and cups will be massively improved.

- big investment opportunities all over Europe. All of a sudden a team like Warsaw could be taken to the top league in Europe with the right investment. Be great !

Ok relegation -- it's a tough one. Give me another day

Yeah I like our premier League how it is now ( not so good atm for other countries leagues we are one of the lucky ones) . I think the PL and EFL will still be great and perhaps even better with the excitement of a chance to qualify for the ESL and to play in that league. All teams in Europe will
be gunning for it !

It looks like this ESL is happening sooooo.. i say if they gonna do it why not do it right ?

Browncow155

Jan 28, 2020
Sorry new to this forum business. thought first reply post had not worked as it hadn't appeared 🤷*♂️ Didn't mean to send twice

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here