Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Will the current plan for the European Super League happen? Yes or No?

Will the current plan for the European Super League happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Can the clubs involved get this current plan over the starting line?

Yes or No?

n.b. Not whether or not you want it to happen.

The question is, do you think it will happen?

Last edited:

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Can the clubs involved get this current plan over the starting line?

Yes or No?

Undecided but with at least one having already walked from the ECA and Edward Woodward resigning his post at UEFA a lot of bridges are being burnt.

I'm going to err towards yes though in the poll

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not even clear what the plan is. ESL to replace EPL, or to run along side it? ESL to replace Champions' League or run along side it?

I think I had a clearer view of what Brexit meant when mooted than I have about this proposal, presently.

Even if it is all clear, listening to R5, I have heard several completely contradictory takes on what ts all about, without anyone saying 'hang on a minute...'

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Depends on how forceful FIFA are. I expect the clubs aren’t really fussed if they are thrown out of their domestic leagues. If however their players can’t play international football I think that will be the death of it.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Can't see it happening, too many people opposed.

Yes, there is a lot of money wanting it to happen, but it needs to have some wider support, it seems to have none, quite the opposite!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not even clear what the plan is. ESL to replace EPL, or to run along side it? ESL to replace Champions' League or run along side it?

I think I had a clearer view of what Brexit meant when mooted than I have about this proposal, presently.

Even if it is all clear, listening to R5, I have heard several completely contradictory takes on what ts all about, without anyone saying 'hang on a minute...'

From what I'm reading the 'big clubs' basically think they can have their cake and eat it - midweek ESL games and they continue in the EPL at weekends (so in essence the ESL for them replaces the ECL). Can't see that happening personally but this is going to get very ugly...............

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Jury is out.

I don't think it will, but the clubs in question need to be fined and deducted points now. That said, if thrown out of Europe they will use this to push ahead with their model.

American owners do not care about domestic leagues, culture or history.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I had a quick scan of one of the official press releases about it and the consensus seemed to be that the ESL would be run alongside the EPL 'allowing clubs to compete in their domestic club competitions', or some such drivel.

The breakaway clubs clearly know what side their bread is buttered and won't want to leave a cash cow banker for a higher risk (but apparently higher reward) one...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No idea really.

I suppose I don't rule out them doubling down against all opposition and trying to bulldoze it through.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
No - its a bargaining tool for more money.

Can't see it happening due to the backlash and too much coincidence re timing of new CL format

Dunno, This was my view as well - but it has the backing in place now and all the clubs involved have just stepped down from European club association and any club executive has stepped down from roles in UEFA.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Dunno, This was my view as well - but it has the backing in place now and all the clubs involved have just stepped down from European club association and any club executive has stepped down from roles in UEFA.

That's exactly what's putting me in the yes camp. It doesn't feel like posturing now. At best if it doesn't go ahead they shouldn't be allowed back into the ECA for 5 years minimum

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
No, because...

1) Fifa and UEFA and even the FA/Premier League is too powerful, they won't allow it.
2) Even if it did happen, it could be a failure. Would these clubs ultimately take the risk?
3) It already doesn't have the support of fans, the media, or even certain players themselves. Unlikely to win these round either.

Not sure exactly what is going on. Seems like wealthy investors are looking to kick start a franchise. First Europe and then the rest of the World?

FIFA and UEFA won’t work together on this.

FIFA won’t ban players from international football, they won’t ban the messi in 2026 banned from the World Cup.

There is also the danger the clubs form a summer cup to rival the World Cup.

PL won’t rock the boat more than they have to, they want to make money, kicking out the most supported clubs won’t make them money - I wouldn’t be shocked if they knew about this already.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Depends on how forceful FIFA are. I expect the clubs aren’t really fussed if they are thrown out of their domestic leagues. If however their players can’t play international football I think that will be the death of it.

Agree.

It will all rest on FIFA.

If they hold the line and agree to ban any players from international football, then it won't happen. Otherwise it will

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
That's exactly what's putting me in the yes camp. It doesn't feel like posturing now. At best if it doesn't go ahead they shouldn't be allowed back into the ECA for 5 years minimum

That wouldn’t work either, all comes down to money.

Sponsors etc won’t pay a fraction of the cost without Juve/United/Pool etc.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Not if the dirty dozen want to play in domestic and champions league. I think they have overplayed their hand, what incentive is there for Uefa or the domestic leagues to hand over more cash to these greedy ********. I think the fans of other teams (and indeed of those teams themselves) will be quite happy for the money grabbers to set up shop in their gilded cul-de-sac.

Form your own league if you want but you cannot play in ours, see ya later.

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
I don’t give a stuff over who runs the CL or it’s supposed ESL equivalent. They’re all as bad as each other.

The 2 issues for me that are just insurmountable are:

No qualifying! WTF! 6 English clubs getting an extra £350m a season regardless.

That extra money plus lack of a need to qualify will destroy the integrity of the Prem.

It will also just creat another financial arms race with £100m transfers the norm.

It’s such a shame that football cannot self govern and keep capitalism in check.

Down with this sort of thing!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here