Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who will lead the EPL fightback against the Super League?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I think we all know the answer.

I’m looking forward to Mr Barber’s views on the break-away proposal.

I wondered about this too. I was surprised, and frankly a little disappointed, to see the only comment on the club’s website was the PL’s press release.

I hope and expect a club statement at some point today.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I wondered about this too. I was surprised, and frankly a little disappointed, to see the only comment on the club’s website was the PL’s press release.

I hope and expect a club statement at some point today.

Give Barber a chance, the news broke last night and he's probably pulled an all nighter getting is 5000 word essay completed.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I think it needs to be a fans led movement backed by the likes of PB with items on the table for discussion to include

1. Temporary suspension of support for the six clubs involved
2. Cancellation of Sky Sports, Now TV, BT Sports subscriptions
3. Pressure on FA not to select players for England duty from the six clubs
4. Pressure on Premiare League to deduct substantial points form the six clubs
5. Pressure on Premiare league to look at the fit and proper rules
6. Pressure on Premiare league to ensure no one person without community links to the area to hold majority owning shares in a club
7. Pressure from fans to encourage in teams along the lines of FC Manchester

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Give Barber a chance, the news broke last night and he's probably pulled an all nighter getting is 5000 word essay completed.

:smile:

I do understand your point. However, if one wants to be seen as a leader (and I’m referring to the club generally rather than any one individual) one needs to, errr, lead.

Various national and European authorities have already issued statements, as have influential individual figures in the game. Hell, even BJ has. If we don’t release something today, we’ll be a follower, not a leader, imo. This would be a shame, given the leadership (whether one agrees with the specific stances taken or not) the club has shown on such varied issues as community engagement, racism, online abuse, women’s & disabled football etc...

Come on, Albion, this is an existential threat to the fabric of the whole game; please step up to the plate and take a swing.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
:smile:

I do understand your point. However, if one wants to be seen as a leader (and I’m referring to the club generally rather than any one individual) one needs to, errr, lead.

Various national and European authorities have already issued statements, as have influential individual figures in the game. Hell, even BJ has. If we don’t release something today, we’ll be a follower, not a leader, imo. This would be a shame, given the leadership (whether one agrees with the specific stances taken or not) the club has shown on such varied issues as community engagement, racism, online abuse, women’s & disabled football etc...

I'm assuming the Chairs and CEOs of the other 14 clubs in the EPL are talking to each other. Opposition will be far more effective if all 14 work together.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm assuming the Chairs and CEOs of the other 14 clubs in the EPL are talking to each other. Opposition will be far more effective if all 14 work together.

Yes, I considered that point, and that may be the case.

However, imo, time is of the essence and, additionally, any such group will need one or (max) two public leaders.

I’m more than happy to sit out today to see what comes out of the club, but I’ll be sorely disappointed if nothing does.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I’m wondering what majority an EPL vote needs in order to get a decision? It would be good to carry out Gary Nevilles’s suggestion of relegating the 3 American owned conspirators (Man Utd, Liverpool & Arsenal) as punishment for signing up to the ESL (with point deductions for Chelsea, Spurs & City next season).

A great result for West Brom, Fulham and Sheff Utd.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

With the other 14 united against this they have enough to vote through sanctions on the big 6. Will they ALL agree though?

SAC

May 21, 2014

Exactly. Club chairman need to be showing a united front and condem this cash-grab.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
A midweek super league will mean having to force through a smaller EPL to accommodate less room for domestic games. FA and FL cup competitions will have to be downgraded. If the 14 remaining EPL clubs don’t 100% unite against that AND FORCIBLY it’ll be a case of turkeys voting for Christmas.
They need to unite behind a proposal to banish the self-named Big Six from all domestic football.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
[emoji2]

Come on, Albion, this is an existential threat to the fabric of the whole game; please step up to the plate and take a swing.

Yes, I considered that point, and that may be the case.

However, imo, time is of the essence and, additionally, any such group will need one or (max) two public leaders.

I’m more than happy to sit out today to see what comes out of the club, but I’ll be sorely disappointed if nothing does.

Why the urge for the club to take the lead? What difference will it make?

You will be disappointed if nothing comes out of the club today?

What are you expecting?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Exactly. Club chairman need to be showing a united front and condem this cash-grab.

With the other 14 united against this they have enough to vote through sanctions on the big 6. Will they ALL agree though?

I don’t think they will, it seems that the **** 6 will still play in the PL under the plans.

If they kick them out that will have a knock on effect on the TV deals, like it or not without Liverpool / United the TV deal is worth a fraction of the current price paid.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I think it needs to be a fans led movement backed by the likes of PB with items on the table for discussion to include

1. Temporary suspension of support for the six clubs involved
2. Cancellation of Sky Sports, Now TV, BT Sports subscriptions
3. Pressure on FA not to select players for England duty from the six clubs
4. Pressure on Premiare League to deduct substantial points form the six clubs
5. Pressure on Premiare league to look at the fit and proper rules
6. Pressure on Premiare league to ensure no one person without community links to the area to hold majority owning shares in a club
7. Pressure from fans to encourage in teams along the lines of FC Manchester

I believe DAZN is the broadcast provider

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Doesnt matter what smaller clubs say. It needs some managers and players of these 6/7 clubs to speak out. Rashford is very high profile with what is right and wrong. lets hear him show some balls

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Christian Purslow, the CEO of Aston Villa just appeared on Radio 4 criticising the league. R4 asked all of the 6 clubs and representatives of the new league to appear. None “were available”.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

That’s his initial summary. When do you think he’ll post his full response?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Gartside I suspect from Bolton, he will lead the "why aren't we involved protest" as he didn't want relegation from the Premier League a while back

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here