Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Devil's advocate thread - what would be good about the mooted pirate league?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can think of some advantages.

1. A tiny number of very rich men may make a bit more money from internet broadcasting income.

2. Er....

3. I'm struggling here....

4. Some armchair fans in the UK can watch their team play the likes of Juve and Barca every Wednesday night rather than the likes of Newcastle, Everton Leicester and West Ham.

5. That set against none of their heroes playing for England again.

6. People in China get a 20% reduction in internet football watching charges. Well....till the charges go up again.

7. I'm stuck now.

8. Just parochial issues left.. for example we will never have to play United scum FA cup cheats again.

9. Mmmmmm...

10. No sorry. It's a load of old ****, isn't it.

Someone help me out here :shrug:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

1. A tiny number of very rich men may make a bit more money from internet broadcasting income.

2. Er....

3. I'm struggling here....

4. Some armchair fans in the UK can watch their team play the likes of Juve and Barca every Wednesday night rather than the likes of Newcastle, Everton Leicester and West Ham.

5. That set against none of their heroes playing for England again.

6. People in China get a 20% reduction in internet football watching charges. Well....till the charges go up again.

7. I'm stuck now.

8. Just parochial issues left.. for example we will never have to play United scum FA cup cheats again.

9. Mmmmmm...

10. No sorry. It's a load of old ****, isn't it.

Someone help me out here :shrug:

Armchair fans won't notice a difference.

Real fans will watch a more competitive league with closer parity between the PL and Championship. Win-win.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Armchair fans won't notice a difference.

Real fans will watch a more competitive league with closer parity between the PL and Championship. Win-win.

Good points.

So are you in favour, then?

Would you let the pirates back in 5 or 10 years after they have had their fingers burned?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Good points.

So are you in favour, then?

Would you let the pirates back in 5 or 10 years after they have had their fingers burned?

Very much in favour. They can all f*ck right off in my opinion.

And, yes, they can start at the bottom and work their way up - same as Rangers getting back to the top of the SPL. What was that? 12 years in the wilderness?

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
It's been discussed for so long. I am sure that I remember my Dad telling me about it 15/20 year ago. They have also been discussing football collapsing due to the finances.

I think we will see it happen at some stage, whether that be now or not. I can see there being a fundamental shift in football supporters with some having a Super League Team and an 'English League' team.

I won't be watching it, I barely watch the Champions League unless there is a massive clash of teams. I watch that because it is a rarity, if it is every week then I just won't bother.

Amusingly it could end up a bit like some of these other rich leagues where players go to end their careers with a big old pay day.Let these big clubs get their pay day for the first couple of years whilst the domestic leagues struggle to adapt. Ideally after that the other clubs will figure out a way to survive and we can all chuckle when the super league collapses or just becomes so dull that we don't care.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The draft ......... You mean like pack the overpaid superstars off to Viet Nam (or Iraq or Afghanistan these days)?

......... yep, I think I'm in .............

I'd have loved to have seen Cristiano Ronaldo spend five years fighting the Việt Nam Cộng-sản. :lolol:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
There is a positive.

It’d be an incredibly refreshing change for the Premier League. Waaay more competitive. Exciting title races and European battles. Strip away all the toxic plastic fans and have honest to god local fanbases cheering on their local teams.

The so called big 6 (laughable that it still includes Spurs and Arsenal) should be very careful what they wish for, as our national game is bigger than any club and there’s plenty of founding clubs who slipped down the divisions through generations.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

:
....followed by Sky turning round after one season and saying, nah, people seem to think it's like watching exhibition matches or pre-season friendlies. We're not bidding for next year .......

Now, that conversation I would pay to watch!

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
There is a positive.

It’d be an incredibly refreshing change for the Premier League. Waaay more competitive. Exciting title races and European battles. Strip away all the toxic plastic fans and have honest to god local fanbases cheering on their local teams.

The so called big 6 (laughable that it still includes Spurs and Arsenal) should be very careful what they wish for, as our national game is bigger than any club and there’s plenty of founding clubs who slipped down the divisions through generations.

Let them go, and then as you say the league will be better off and more competitive. It would be a good opportunity for the league to restructure it's finances so there's a better distribution of money, salary caps, etc. Let them go, and tell them they won't be welcome back, not even starting at the bottom. Let's see if we can get them to take VAR with them.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Let them go, and then as you say the league will be better off and more competitive. It would be a good opportunity for the league to restructure it's finances so there's a better distribution of money, salary caps, etc. Let them go, and tell them they won't be welcome back, not even starting at the bottom. Let's see if we can get them to take VAR with them.
Oh yes, yes, bloody yes!

And give them a straight choice. Do you want to be in the PL, the FA Cup, and with a chance of making it into the Champions league - or do you want to play in a closed shop super league. Make it an either or choice, one or the other, but not both.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
It would stop the conversation about a breakaway European Super League every couple of years.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The trouble is the premier league and the FA will bend over backwards (or bend us over) in order to continue some ties with them.

If I had faith in them, the FA, EUFA and FIFA to work this to the advantage of proper football fans I would be thrilled.

However there will be all sorts of compromise to create a new shit sandwich for us.

I am optimistic this morning.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here