Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] First House Viewing Advice

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I'm going on my first house viewing tomorrow, does anybody have any advice on things I should look at or ask about while I'm at it?

In case it makes a difference, it's an old terraced house. Can't remember how old off the top of my head.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I'm going on my first house viewing tomorrow, does anybody have any advice on things I should look at or ask about while I'm at it?

In case it makes a difference, it's an old terraced house. Can't remember how old off the top of my head.

I guess the common sense general advice is that even if you love it you don't let on as such. You don't want the sellers to have the upper hand in any future negotiations.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Take into account natural light in the rooms , room sizes ( how practical are they to use & fit furniture in ) condition of the house ( how much you would need to spend to get it the way you want ) location - this is the most important. Better to have the worst house in the most expensive road that you can possibly add value to as opposed to a pimped out house in a less desirable road or area .

Lastly check what the comparables sold for in the road over the last couple of years to give you an idea of value. Bear in mind value can be effected by condition by sometimes as much as £100k or even more . It’s expensive to completely refurbish a house to a high standard . Ie fully tiled bathrooms with quality bath appliances , wooden floors, decent kitchen make with quality built in stainless steel appliances , solid stone worktops , re wiring etc etc

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

First viewing is to just get a feel for the property and location; you can ask any questions later and once you’ve had the first look. There’s little need to worry about structural questions if you have a full survey as this should reveal any issues but if something comes to mind obviously ask.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Make a list of must haves and would like to haves.
Anything not on the must haves that is not there, walk away.

Speaking from experience of past mistakes.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Don’t get over excited about the first one you look at. Get a feel for it. And remember everything is guide price nowadays and not asking price so you have to be more canny.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
As mentioned above this is really a look-see to decide if you want to live there at all.

Is the general location, the road etc. what you expected (I'm guessing if it is local you already have an idea or will have done some research) ?

Have a good look in the neighbours gardens from upstairs for signs of potential unpleasantness.

Check Nethouseprices for this particular house and any others in close proximity changing hands after a short period of ownership etc.

Good luck!!

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Thanks to all the people who've replied so far, and anybody who does in future for that matter.

I'd also like to make a general apology for my first thread being about such a boring topic. Hopefully one day I'll get pissed and start one about tits and Graham Potter and Graham Potter's tits.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Thanks for this.
Do you know if the values for the area you enter and the national average are directly comparable? I'm slightly surprised at how much below average the post code I entered is.

Me too, my postcode is many times lower than the average:

Anti-social behaviour 640 29813

Bicycle theft 39 1838

Burglary 60 8699

Criminal damage and arson 120 12223

Drugs 52 3923

Total 1874 10394

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Look beyond the current decor.

Consider the size of the rooms and whether you can add value down the line

Research the area and specifically the road you looking to buy on via open source searching

“Road name” And “Crime” etc

Don’t appear too keen if you like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Look beyond the current decor.

Consider the size of the rooms and whether you can add value down the line

Research the area and specifically the road you looking to buy on via open source searching

“Road name” And “Crime” etc

Don’t appear too keen if you like it

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Ask them if they will be leaving the light bulbs behind . The Scottish chap that I purchased my first property from didn't

In Portugal they will often take the boiler with them if you don't put a comprehensive inventory in the contract. Even then I heard of a case where the boiler was gone when the new owners arrived to take possession so they stopped the payment until it was returned and reinstalled.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
As others have said, the details are for second viewing but here is a list of things I'd look out for:-

1) ask to see the central heating boiler and hot water cylinder to check how old they are.
2) look at the plug sockets, are they modern and how many of them? If they are single sockets then it will definitely need a rewire and a lot of houses need fuse boards updating to latest spec (mine does).
3) ask about insulation in loft and cavities and underfloor. Houses that have a loft ladder and nicely insulated (minimum 12 inches) and boarded loft get bonus points as it shows the owner has cared and saves you work. You'll always want to do this to store all that stuff..
4) Check for cracks in plaster and brickwork. Small ones are ok but longer bigger are a concern. Look out for any on the corners of windows, especially diagonally opposite. Any cracker you can get a pencil in are no no.
5) Look out for damp and black mold in corners of room near the ceilings. especially in bathrooms.

How does it feel? All the houses I've bought had a good 'feel' within a few seconds of walking in.

If you do a second viewing then take someone with you that knows property. Either they've brought a few houses are handy at DIY or best a builder. Don't be afraid to ask mates, people at work or your neighbours? They'll be glad to help you and all it takes is a nice bottle of wine or case of their favourite beer and they'll be happy as.

Good luck and lets us know how it goes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here