Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] When you wish you hadn't borrowed sports equipment...

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Alex Bruce (son of Steve) and ex-Blackburn, Birmingham City, Ipswich, Leeds, Hull, Bury defender amongst other clubs) is doing some punditry on 5 Live today.

He just recounted the story of when he was offered trials at Swindon Town, with a view to getting a deal a while back. I didn't catch quite why but he didn't have any decent boots handy so he borrowed a pair off Wayne Rooney, who is a big mate of his apparently. When he got them out the bag at Swindon they were, to his horror, embroidered with things like "208 Premier League Goals" and "Manchester United all-time top goal scorer."

He sheepishly put them on and took to the pitch whereupon the other players just looked at him and said, "Oh. Mate of Wayne's are you?"

He didn't get a contract :facepalm:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Alex Bruce (son of Steve) and ex-Blackburn, Birmingham City, Ipswich, Leeds, Hull, Bury defender amongst other clubs) is doing some punditry on 5 Live today.

He just recounted the story of when he was offered trials at Swindon Town, with a view to getting a deal a while back. I didn't catch quite why but he didn't have any decent boots handy so he borrowed a pair off Wayne Rooney, who is a big mate of his apparently. When he got them out the bag at Swindon they were, to his horror, embroidered with things like "208 Premier League Goals" and "Manchester United all-time top goal scorer."

He sheepishly put them on and took to the pitch whereupon the other players just looked at him and said, "Oh. Mate of Wayne's are you?"

He didn't get a contract :facepalm:

Shows what an @rse Rooney is to have them put on his boots, just incase anyone didn't know. Can't imagine Shearer would do the same for example.

Also, why would you not take your own boots to a trial?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The cricket team's communal jock strap and box.

"Shudder" !!!!!!!!!

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
The cricket team's communal jock strap and box.

"Shudder" !!!!!!!!!

I was on the horns of a dilemma when I forgot both my box and jockstrap. Whether to tuck a communal box in my y-fronts or walk out with just fabric as protection? I wore it but there were many imaginary itches for the next 48 hours and my shower time had an even greater focus downstairs than usual.

Bansko Seagull

Bansko Seagull
May 6, 2009
Worthing, West Sussex
At a local tennis club a few years ago a new member came along to the weekly members evening and was invited to make up a doubles game. My tennis partner spotted that the new member was using a very old racquet and offered to lend him his spare racquet. The new member was very grateful and proceeded to serve with the borrowed racquet. Imagine his embarrassment when the racquet proceeded to cross the net but the ball didn’t.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
When I was odds on favourite to win the World " Snakes and Ladders " Championship I forgot my lucky dice and had to borrow one and ended up losing :)

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Shows what an @rse Rooney is to have them put on his boots, just incase anyone didn't know. Can't imagine Shearer would do the same for example.

Also, why would you not take your own boots to a trial?

It could be that Wayne was given said boots by boot sponsor to celebrate said milestone, found them embarrassing never wore them and tucked them away until the day a chance to stitch to Bruce jr came his way. In which case well done Wayne.
Why you wouldn't wear your regular boots to a trial is beyond me though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here