Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 4 Years ago today....

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
My Dad had a stroke, celebrations were somewhat curtailed and we had left the Amex long before the second pitch invasion.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The last time I went to the Amex before moving up North.

What a day that was - even if we get relegated at some point and then promoted again, it will never feel like that.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I'd just driven 300 miles to interrupt my holiday in the certain knowledge it wouldn't be a wasted journey. Great day.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
My Dad had a stroke, celebrations were somewhat curtailed and we had left the Amex long before the second pitch invasion.

Similar for me in terms of personal life ruined the day. Was a tough time and despite everyone knowing how much I love the Albion, there really is more to life than football. However I was there and did witness it. Sorry I’ve just put a downer on the thread, and things are mainly better now :) Feels good to be able to talk about it in public when at the time I couldn’t face anything - always talk :)

Last edited:

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
It was a great day, although I did not go into town after the 2nd pitch invasion.

In some respects, the highlight for me was being in the North Stand concourse watching the Derby/Huddersfield game, and then the utter madness in there when the game ended.

For me it rivals the celebrations in town after the 83 semi-final win. It was absolute carnage (in a happy way) downstairs in Smugglers in Ship Street, watching the highlights on MOTD or the ITV equivalent.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The last time I went to the Amex before moving up North.

What a day that was - even if we get relegated at some point and then promoted again, it will never feel like that.

What if we are relegated and then spend 30-40 years in the mire like last time? Those of us around in 1979 would testify that both events were pretty special!

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
When Butterfeild scored for Derby - those few seconds/minutes in the North Stand saw an outpouring of emotion that went all the way back to Hereford. ****ing Awesome day.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
It was a brilliant day, which started in the perfect way when my daughter and I met this absolute legend outside the ground before the game.
e6917e617fd0f080c1c42705cb3c6bfc.jpg

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I’ve got loads of video of that day...hairs on the back of your neck stuff....oh how I miss those moments of unbridled emotion amongst a large crowd of like minded people...need them back soon!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

How awful, dare I ask if he recovered?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
How awful, dare I ask if he recovered?

He’s still with us thanks for asking, his mobility is impaired, and as an 80+ year old he naturally struggles but he’s just bought a new lawnmower and he does his best to do stuff in the garden.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I remember starting on the farmhouse cider from that farm shop place just outside Lewes after the match and spent the
whole of the following day in bed sick as a parrot. Never touched cider since.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I never thought that I would be happier at a game of football, after watching Jimmy Case thump the free-kick in at the semi-final.

Many years later, I found out that I was wrong :)

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
All the announcements about staying off the pitch, all the half-arsed stewards trying to look mean and then shrugging their shoulders and stepping aside as the wave of people leapt over the edges of the pitch. What a day for the fans who had been through the real dark times (I wasn't around for these, but wish I had been) and what a day for Uncle Tony.

At least I can say I was there. A JCL who saw the last third of the film, and the beginning of the sequel. :)

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Such a great day, one of the happiest ever.

And yet something quite sad knowing all that, for what? Some good times in the Premier League and a lot of miserable ones too as we wait and see whether our Chairman is going to spend our way to the top or not.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
An amazing day tinged with sadness for me, my Dad and I were never really close but we finally found something we both felt passionate for as we watched the Amex being built, and we went to many games together there. My happiest memories of time with him are at the Amex, and whist I was standing in the centre circle singing with everyone else , I did have a little cry as I thought about how he would have loved to have been there , celebrating with us all.

One of the most memorable days of my life.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The stewards at the bottom of our NS aisle made a really serious attempt to stop people invading the pitch, post final whistle WTF. Whilst everywhere else they’d been overwhelmed. Collaring my boy.

A huge shove from me at the back of the scrum soon put paid to that. We weren’t to be denied.

So many great memories that day. Knockaert the choirmaster, organising the Hemed chants, is one. AK oozed charisma and looniness.

05:06

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here