Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Phrases you hate people saying

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In a similar vein - “he got the ball in there from wide areas” or “great cross again from wide area of the pitch”, and “they’re not exploiting wide areas enough” all variations on a theme to allow co-commentators to sound more intelligent than they are. It’s from the WING or WINGS, played by WINGERS not players in wide areas. FFS.

I had the misfortune to watch a couple of Sky matches this week with a commentator who is the absolute haemorrhoid of irritation.

And Chelsea will have only themselves to blame if they don't hang on to this lead.
Mind you, they dropped more than a few points against Arsenal when you were playing, Martin.
It's been remarked on several occasions that the home advantage doesn't seem to be with us this season.
I think we can all agree that we all want to see the crowds back in.
A noisy Stamford Bridge. Of course this has been a difficult year.

Oh for ****'s sake, ****ing shut the ****ing **** up, you ****ing ****wit!

:drool::shootself

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's not a phrase,but I have noticed something strange amongst a growing number of football commentators and pundits.
Keown has been doing this for years but I'm hearing it more and more these days.
They seem to add the player or club they are talking about at the end of the sentence rather than at the beginning.

"They have played well today.... Brighton"

"He has had a good game..Dunk"

"He's put in fantastic cross into the box.. Gross"

"He has been amazing in the midfield today..Bissouma"

It's because they can't remember the players' names. When it's Brighton playing . . . . .Pint of Ale and a Burger.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
'Game time' (as in "player x needs more game time) plus 'Match week [insert number]'

Two more vacuous, jarring NFL-spawned phrases polluting the beautiful game.

The EPL isn't what it used to be, is it? ??? :wink:

And the game is LIVE!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Were and was being used incorrectly. I were , We was

Percific instead of specific

Would of, could of, should of.

I would of went along with that Chrissy Waddle, were he wouldn't have started using it.

I would also be very interested to find out what Carlron Cole finks about former players finking aloud about their forts in the furough fashion they do, especially in the feater of dreams, especially give that Joe Cole and Ashley Cole are the leading exponents of this uther thucking abomination.

110% (no such thing)

[/I]

actually it depends on context ; "our profits have gone up 110%" is perfectly valid but if someone says " you are 110% correct" then yes they are prats!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
“Fri-yay”

I am convinced the arrival of this phrase coinciding with social distancing meaning a lack of people being punched in the face is not a coincidence.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
For some reason it came to me this morning, that "GET UP YOU LAZY GIT!" is a phrase that really irritates me.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
My brother is 61.

We share music online fairly regularly.

He sends tracks which he says are “dope” or “off the scale”.

He’s 61.

I find him somewhat tiresome.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
'Genuine question'

That was occasionally used by someone now banned from NSC ???

In case it hasn't been posted already, 'like' when used in place of 'including'. Countries like America and Russia. Players like Bissouma. Singers like Bob Dylan. Leaders like Trump. Does my head in, like.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I cannot believe only one person has mentioned...... 'to be fair'

This seems to have replaced anything else to start a sentence.

A totally unnecessary phrase 99.99% of the time.

To be very honest.

(I'd be astonished if I haven't already posted this on this thread. At the moment it is said by only one TV pundit - Macmanamanamanan. If he's working with the commentator who says 'and it's live', I'm off.)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
110% (no such thing)

I'm not complaining, but..... (yes you are)

I use 110% often. As a joke, or to mock people who will nod in agreement when I say it. I must confess also to using 'we were literally electrified and glued to our seats' when describing something dull, such as one of our totes amazeballs 0-0 draws. I stole it from Private Eye.

Back to terms that make me flinch:

Cushdy.
Specific (when used to mean selective; that one's a work thing).
Irregardless.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I use 110% often. As a joke, or to mock people who will nod in agreement when I say it. I must confess also to using 'we were literally electrified and glued to our seats' when describing something dull, such as one of our totes amazeballs 0-0 draws. I stole it from Private Eye.

Back to terms that make me flinch:

Cushdy.
Specific (when used to mean selective; that one's a work thing).
Irregardless.

Amazeballs....
Totes...

I'm assuming/hoping these were deliberately put in as other examples?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
No brainer :shrug:

Not something I use or will ever use, I often wonder who invents this shite and why phrases like this became popular.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
The use of the word Passed when someone has died.
"the dog that was hit by the car along the road sadly passed" no it didn't it died !!!

The use of the term "fur baby" **** off !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here