Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Phrases you hate people saying

Couldnt find a thread on this so started anew..I'm sure we all have pet hates for phrases which people say that get on your nerves but we are too polite to "correct" the person saying it. Few i've recently been confronted with.

- "I'll be in touch". (BAD BAD BAD during covid :) ) - No please dont touch me just call me back
- "Back In a mo." - how fekking long is a mo ? I've heard this twice in the past fortnight - 1st time the caller too roughly 20 seconds and the 2nd one was gone for over 3 minutes so i hung up!. They dont even bother telling you WHY they will be back in a mo.
- acronyms - once was told this word for word..."Our PA from HR will post your CV , PDQ' :tosser: - he even got that wrong - he meant my reference not CV. a CV belongs to me not them.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
When people say "I hope this finds you well" in an email. If I'm reading it, then it means it did find me. If it didn't find me, then I wouldn't be reading it, in which case the entire expression is a waste of words.

And the fact that more often than not, emails containing this phrase tend to make my day significantly worse, thereby not finding me 'well'

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
It is what it is - no it isn't, that's just a cop out because you cant be arsed to do anything about it

Feeling Blessed, normally on Facebook - no you're not, you aren't St Francis of Assisi

With respect - what follows is normally anything but

Just going to jump on a call - grrrrr

Watch out for karma - no I won't, no such thing

Last edited:

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
My two are football related:

1- it’s a shot from range. Is that short range or long range or medium range. A lazy meaningless fad of a commentary line.

2- back on terms. Is that equal terms, unequal terms. As above, drives me mad.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
"Believe in yourself - you can be anything you want to be"

Sorry.. if you're as thick as pigshit you're not going to be an astronaut or a captain of industry pal. Sorry to shatter your dreams and all that. :shrug:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
'Have a nice rest of your day' :angry:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
"Very happy with the performance, but we don't think that the result was what we deserved." Although I'm only annoyed when one particular person says it.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
‘The genie is out of the bottle.’

This is widely and incorrectly used to describe an event that cannot be undone.

The origin story ends with the genie being tricked back into the bottle!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Do the needful.

Until I moved to Dubai, I’d never come across this expression. You get it everywhere over here, and it bugs the shit out of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here