Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ashley Young - worth considering?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see his 18-month contract with Inter is up this summer. They are currently 11 points clear atop of Serie A with 8 matches to go and he has played 55 times for them since joining in Jan 20, including 40 times in Serie A.

I know there is now talk of him going back to his hometown club Watford, but he is a winner, this signing ticks every box for us and buys us time for Karbownik to develop into a Premier League player.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What do you get when you cross Ashley Neal with Jimmy Young?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
What do you get when you cross Ashley Neal with Jimmy Young?

tn-349-JimmyNail-12265914610.jpg

in a scouse accent ?

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
It's not a bad shout as cover for March but it flies in the face of succession planning and the structure we have now so for that reason I suspect it'll be a no...

Isn't succession planning not just about younger guys coming in but those who can do a job in the set up ?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
He was a massive, MASSIVE diver back in his prime, one of the worst around, but other than that, you're right. And his game has changed a lot since then anyway

Difficult to imagine that a couple of seasons playing in Italy is likely to have changed that aspect of his game much???

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
For an aging fullback, his wages would be FEARSOME. Offset by the fact he'd be a freebie, but even so. It a no for me, Clive.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The guy started LWB in the Europa League Final vs Sevilla back in June, and played against Real Madrid home and away in the Champions League this season. At the start of next season he will also be 9 months younger than when Bruno made his first Prem start for us.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Isn't succession planning not just about younger guys coming in but those who can do a job in the set up ?

To a degree yes, see Lallana for example but a big element of the overall strategy is buying players to sell on at a profit to reinvest back into the squad? If you buy older players like Young with no resell value you block opportunities for young players and block the development of a potential first team stars successor. You can and probably should have a couple of experienced lads in the team after all you need to win games and gain points too but they do block youngsters from chances to play.

Finding the right balance I guess...

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I see his 18-month contract with Inter is up this summer. They are currently 11 points clear atop of Serie A with 8 matches to go and he has played 55 times for them since joining in Jan 20, including 40 times in Serie A.

I know there is now talk of him going back to his hometown club Watford, but he is a winner, this signing ticks every box for us and buys us time for Karbownik to develop into a Premier League player.

Awwww, this reminds me of BensGrandad.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here