Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Old man's question (apology in advance) whats the difference between an EA and a PA?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Am talking to a CEO re a work issue, and have been told to contact his EA, who I knew formally as his PA.

When did this all change?

I'm very happy with my PA, she's superb, if I make her an EA will it turn her head? :)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I’m assuming EA is Executive Assistant.

So to answer your question, probably about five grand more and a new iphone.

Am talking to a CEO re a work issue, and have been told to contact his EA, who I knew formally as his PA.

When did this all change?

I'm very happy with my PA, she's superb, if I make her an EA will it turn her head? :)

its like saying whats the difference between a decorator and an interior designer. Regular people either DIY or get a decorator in. Posh people get an interior designer in who charges triple the amount.
An EA is like a PA on twice the salary :)

In all seriousness i know an EA from my old job. Her role went beyond just her bosses typing, spreadsheet managing and meeting organising which is usually a PA role. The EA often acts as a concierge too and might get involved in things like booking restaurants, organising flights and accomodation, Also an EA might have a supervisory role over other PAs in a larger organisation.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
its like saying whats the difference between a decorator and an interior designer. Regular people either DIY or get a decorator in. Posh people get an interior designer in who charges triple the amount.
An EA is like a PA on twice the salary :)

In all seriousness i know an EA from my old job. Her role went beyond just her bosses typing, spreadsheet managing and meeting organising which is usually a PA role. The EA often acts as a concierge too and might get involved in things like booking restaurants, organising flights and accomodation, Also an EA might have a supervisory role over other PAs in a larger organisation.

Sounds like a posh moniker for a secretary. :rolleyes:

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patreon
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Based on my experience, they are fundamentally the same, except the "Executive" title tends to represent those working for the top end management of the organization (as you are now experiencing).
PA's typically are junior and are found in lower management, a team or in small business.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
In my experience EAs tend to get a bit narked when you introduce them as a PA and really hate it when you call them a secretary.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Based on my experience, they are fundamentally the same, except the "Executive" title tends to represent those working for the top end management of the organization (as you are now experiencing).
PA's typically are junior and are found in lower management, a team or in small business.

There is a research journal with which I am familiar that was edited, 20 years ago, by four executive editors who managed a team of editors each, the latter handling the mechanics of peer review. One of the executive editors was the founder of the journal, and had been receiving a massive wedge from the publisher for years. Eventually the publisher decided to save money and replace the expensive person with a new man. The new man is on a big wedge, but he wanted to be seen to be 'in charge' so he asked to be called the 'executive editor in chief'. Ego, status, and of no interest or value to anyone outside the organisation, and of very little interest to those inside the organisation. It's how we (humans) roll. Innit.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Whatever happened to that old fashioned title Secretary?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Let me touch base and get back to you

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
Though much misused by companies wanting a PA to feel special, a genuine EA should be getting involved in actually helping with the executive they are working for to deliver work. They will likely have some business qualifications (or worked their way up) and can also be used as a stand-in for some meetings. They would get involved in diary management and general 'support' duties too, but in its true sense is a genuine step up (in pay and responsibility) from a PA. I know an MD who got the role after being the former MD's EA (for a number of years).

My apologies for the boring serious answer.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
There is a research journal with which I am familiar that was edited, 20 years ago, by four executive editors who managed a team of editors each, the latter handling the mechanics of peer review. One of the executive editors was the founder of the journal, and had been receiving a massive wedge from the publisher for years. Eventually the publisher decided to save money and replace the expensive person with a new man. The new man is on a big wedge, but he wanted to be seen to be 'in charge' so he asked to be called the 'executive editor in chief'. Ego, status, and of no interest or value to anyone outside the organisation, and of very little interest to those inside the organisation. It's how we (humans) roll. Innit.

I always find this interesting.

Its always a red flag to me when interviewing someone and they ask what their job title is going to be. I am fortunate in my company in that no one cares - we all know what our jobs are and we get on with it regardless of who is executive this or head of that. The ones who try to play the billy big bollox because of their supposed status are just shot down.

Gareth:
I'm assistant regional manager.

David:
Assistant to the regional manager.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here