Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Oi Physio - We Kept Up! - Maybe this is why Adkins didn't do the Guard of Honour

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Great to hear, from Calde, that one of the players rang Nigel Adkins to rub it in on the way back from Walsall: https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/19236709.inigo-calderon-relives-albions-league-one-title-clincher/

My money is on one of the ex Stockport players, as they would have been most likely to have his number. I don't think Mc Nulty would have travelled, so probably Gary Dicker or Matt Sparrow.

Whoever it was, Thank You. Even a decade on, I'm enjoying imagining the irritation on his smug face as he got that call.

In some ways, I can understand Adkins' cockiness. In the podcast interview I posted on the Lallana thread, he pretty much said that the players that Southampton had that year were so good that they could have walked to promotion with or without a manager. Perhaps only Alan Pardew would have been able to ruin things. When you remember the squad of future internationals that they had and the way they went straight on to promotion again the following season, it makes our tying up the title with room to spare even more impressive.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Matt Sparrow didn't play for Stockport.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Matt Sparrow didn't play for Stockport.

D'oh! Adkins didn't manage them either. That's me confusing Stockport and Scunthorpe. I think Dicker and McNulty both came from Stockport, and Sparrow from Scunthorpe, leaving him the only one previously managed by Adkins. It was probably him then. Well done Matt.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Calderon struck up a partnership with centre-back Gordon Greer, who had signed from Swindon as captain in the summer.

Greer was asked to pull wide and allow Calderon scope to attack.

It was a daring tactic which led to some interesting exchanges on the pitch.

Calderon said: “I liked to go forward, that was my style and he was not used to that.

“He was always shouting to me, ‘Wait, stay here with me’.

“That was quite funny because Gordon on the pitch was not a happy man.

“Well now it’s funny but, at the time, it was a bit too aggressive for me!

“But now I can just laugh."

Remember how GG always seemed FURIOUS with Calde - it was because he was terrified of his lack of pace being exposed, I reckon.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Regular reminder that the actual quote is "If they can keep with us maybe", not "...keep up..."

#PedantAndProud :thumbsup:

Also, Nige's website is probably worth a look/laugh: https://www.nigeladkins.com/

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
...the players that Southampton had that year were so good that they could have walked to promotion with or without a manager.

Blimey, just looked up their squad that year and he's not wrong! A midfield of Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Schneiderlin (not to mention one Dale Stephens) in League 1 seems ridiculous

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Regular reminder that the actual quote is "If they can keep with us maybe", not "...keep up..."

#PedantAndProud :thumbsup:

Also, Nige's website is probably worth a look/laugh: https://www.nigeladkins.com/

That website captures his cringe inducing Partridgeness perfectly. If there was one man in football who would set up his own personal website, you just know who it would be. Good to see that the word 'Positivity' is still to the forefront. You can be as positive as you like Nigel, but you're only going to finish in second place. Why can't you win the league? Well, eee's complicated.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Great to hear, from Calde, that one of the players rang Nigel Adkins to rub it in on the way back from Walsall: https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/19236709.inigo-calderon-relives-albions-league-one-title-clincher/

My money is on one of the ex Stockport players, as they would have been most likely to have his number. I don't think Mc Nulty would have travelled, so probably Gary Dicker or Matt Sparrow.

Whoever it was, Thank You. Even a decade on, I'm enjoying imagining the irritation on his smug face as he got that call.

In some ways, I can understand Adkins' cockiness. In the podcast interview I posted on the Lallana thread, he pretty much said that the players that Southampton had that year were so good that they could have walked to promotion with or without a manager. Perhaps only Alan Pardew would have been able to ruin things. When you remember the squad of future internationals that they had and the way they went straight on to promotion again the following season, it makes our tying up the title with room to spare even more impressive.

Seem to remember GG letting slip that it was Dicker in an interview last year.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Remember how GG always seemed FURIOUS with Calde - it was because he was terrified of his lack of pace being exposed, I reckon.

Greer was concerned his remaining hair would get blown off if he ran to fast

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I remember noticing when we were at the amex and I was sat right by the right side (I was sat further along and further back at Withdean), that Greer almost never passed to Calderon, and I suppose this would explain why. I remember one rare occasion that he did pass to Calderon (I mean like once ever few matches, there were plenty of games where he didn't pass to Calderon at all), Greer injured himself playing the pass, but Inigo went up the pitch and scored!

I guess this may explain why he always turned inside to play the ball.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I remember noticing when we were at the amex and I was sat right by the right side (I was sat further along and further back at Withdean), that Greer almost never passed to Calderon, and I suppose this would explain why. I remember one rare occasion that he did pass to Calderon (I mean like once ever few matches, there were plenty of games where he didn't pass to Calderon at all), Greer injured himself playing the pass, but Inigo went up the pitch and scored!

I guess this may explain why he always turned inside to play the ball.

100% remember this. Me and the people I went with felt like it was a running joke that Greer would refuse to ever pass to Calde.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Blimey, just looked up their squad that year and he's not wrong! A midfield of Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Schneiderlin (not to mention one Dale Stephens) in League 1 seems ridiculous

With Ricky Lambert in front of them and Jose Fonte behind. They still couldn't live with Dicker, Bennett, Bridcutt and a 36 year old Kishishev.

From the two squads, Lallana, Wood, Barnes, Stephens, Oxlade-Chamberlain & Dunk are playing Premier League football ten years on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here