Votes: 6 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
2-2 vs. Manchester City 2008/09 League Cup 2nd Round

Wednesday 24th September 2008, Att: 8729

A record Withdean crowd saw Albion humble the world's richest club. There was a time during the late 70s & early 80s when Albion used to regular thrash Manchester City, twice winning 4-1 at the Goldstone in the old First Division, with a 4-0 FA Cup triumph thrown in for good measure during our runs the 1983 final.

The best part of three decades later the Mancunins came to Withdean, generally regarded as the richest club on the planet, their squad boosting the likes of Robinho (£34.2 Million) and Jo, (£18 Million).

We on the other hand had Steve Cook, a £60 a week apprentice, and just two points to show from our opening four home League games of the season, including a miserable defeat against nine man Walsall three days previously. This was going to be messy, wasn't it? Well strangely enough nothing could be further from the truth ...

When the Brazillian Jo, combined with Ireland & Fernandes to score it appeared that the impossible Albion dream was just that. But within two minutes a forceful Steven Thomson drive into the box saw Glenn bundle the ball home, and it got better.

Premier League stars could only stand and stare as Joe Anyinsah put Brighton ahead in extra time. Ireland’s equaliser meant it went to penalties, Michel Kuipers pulling off a vital save to deny Michael Ball and as Matt Richard beat Kasper Schmeichel to send Albion through the dream became reality. Fans could only stagger onto the turf in jubilant disbelief. (Henry Tydeman)

Perhaps even better than the result was the pitch invasion which followed, especially with regards the person in the electric wheelchair who made it from the south east corner, nearly to the halfway line before they were turned around and wheeled off by a mean-spirited steward. (We Are Brighton)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/7626796.stm

https://www.skysports.com/football/brighton-and-hove-albion-vs-manchester-city/4692

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvbmdmXKANg

4-3 vs. Carlisle United, 2010/11 League One

Saturday 5th March 2011, Att: 7,466

“Bridcutt left footed, it’s the stuff of champions, it’s the stuff of dreams”

Any notion that this was going to be another straightforward day at the office went out of the window though inside of three minutes. Brighton failed to clear a corner effectively and Tom Taiwo was on hand to fire past Casper Ankergren for 1-0. Even the very best of Albion sides like Poyet’s champions struggled to defend set pieces.

Glenn Murray soon equalised with his 17th goal of the campaign after collecting a clever hooked pass from Ashley Barnes. When Ashley Barnes latched onto Bridcutt’s through ball to put the Albion 2-1 ahead eight minutes into the second half, most were expecting Brighton to move through the gears and secure a comfortable three points.

The visitors though had other ideas. No home defender got close enough to Ben Marshall who took advantage of the space to beat Ankergren on the hour mark. Parity lasted for all of three minutes. Greer showcased his underrated playmaking ability by splitting the Carlisle defence with a superb forward pass, releasing Barnes who again made no mistake.

As was Withdean tradition, large numbers of the South Stand had abandoned their seats in favour of watching the final throes of action from the running track. Those stood at pitch level waiting to leave at the west end of the ground could scarcely believe their eyes when Carlisle equalised again at the opposite end of the Theatre of Trees.

With Kishishev on the pitch, Bridcutt found himself in a more advanced role and he took full advantage as the ball fell to him 25 yards out, hitting the sweetest volley with so much power that Collin did not have time to move before it hit the back of the net.

Report courtesy of We Are Brighton - http://wearebrighton.com/albiondata...e-the-stuff-of-dreams-the-stuff-of-champions/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/9407629.stm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVXPHizUvBY

2-1 vs. Oldham Athletic 2010/11 League One

Saturday 25th September 2010, Att: 7,148

Another season defining moment on our way to the League One title. Albion stole the game at the death to move top of the division and never look back, we stayed there for the rest of the season.

Now cult hero, Fran Sandaza, bundled home a 90+6 minute winner against the Latics who had taken the lead half way through the first half. Ashley Barnes with the equalizer just before the break.

Try as we might, we couldn’t break Oldham down, until the final throes of throws of the game, with ‘Frandaza’ causing aforementioned ‘running track scenes’. A truly wonderful Withdean moment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/9016159.stm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drnkgc0gyo8

1-0 vs. Derby County, 2002/03 Division One

Saturday 16th November 2002, Att: 6,845

My lasting memory of this game is two things. A late late Kerry Mayo winner and more importantly Fabrizio Ravanelli looking absolutely stunned as he warmed up on a freezing cold night at Withdean. The Derby side humbled by Albion also included Georgi Kinkladze.

We Are Brighton - http://wearebrighton.com/albiondatabase/when-fabrizio-ravanelli-watched-kerry-mayo-score-the-winner/

Can you imagine what Fabrizio Ravanelli was thinking as he disembarked from the Derby County team coach at Withdean Stadium on Saturday 16th November 2002?

This was a man with 22 Italy caps and eight goals for the Azzurri to his name. In four brilliant seasons with Juventus, he’d won a Serie A title, a Copa Italia and scored in a Champions League final when Juve defeated Ajax on penalties to lift the trophy.

Just two year’s before his trip to Withdean, he’d won another Serie A and another Copa Italia by helping Sven-Göran Eriksson’s Lazio to a domestic double. He’d played for the biggest club in France, Marseille. His famous “shirt over the head” celebration was copied in countless school playgrounds across Europe ...

It was Mayo’s first goal for two years since he’d netted in a 2-0 Division Three victory over Leyton Orient in September 2000. Ravanelli had spent that same week playing for Lazio against Arsenal in the Champions League. Yet here the great Italian now was, sitting and watching a man from Peacehaven score a winner against his club at a running track in a housing estate on the outskirts of Brighton.

From the BBC:

Bottom-of-the-table Brighton picked up three valuable points with this win over Derby at the Withdean Stadium.

The Seagulls were made to wait until the 89th minute for Kerry Mayo's winner after Derby had played most of the second half with 10 men after Malcolm Christie was sent off for two bookable offences.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/2429911.stm

2019-02-mayo-derby-800x445.jpg

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Bridcutt left footed, it’s the stuff of dreams it’s the stuff of champions.

Closely followed by City.

You're right - Ravanelli really looked like he didn't want to be there that day.

Fran Sandaza - what happened to him...?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I believe the City game was not long after the Walsall debacle. I was so angry about that (or something) that I went to a gig instead at the Albert and missed it. The gig was superb and I had a terrific evening despite missing the transitory delights of that famous win. A win which I got to hear all about as my mates descended on the pub afterwards.

So I have voted for the Bridcutt belter and the Carlisle win instead.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Bridcutt left footed, it’s the stuff of dreams it’s the stuff of champions.

Closely followed by City.

You're right - Ravanelli really looked like he didn't want to be there that day.

Fran Sandaza - what happened to him...?

The other way around for me, the win over megabucks Citeh just beating the Bridcutt volley which saw off Carlisle.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Happy for wheelchair pitch invasion but can't vote for the Man City game as I turned down a ticket on the day.

Given our horrendous form I was certain we'd get battered 3 or 4-0, and decided against going - I was even in Brighton that day and could've so easily chosen to go. But then money was tight at that point.

Still.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Got to be the Man City game. I know it was fairly early in their rich days but it was still a massive gulf between the teams. Another great night at The Withdean.

SCassidy

Dec 2, 2020
That Carlisle game was absolute class. I remember when Carlisle equalised in the 91st minute to make it 3-3. The scorer ran over to H block south stand and celebrated in front of us. I was thinking God I hate that pr*ck. Then we scored in the 94th - such a beautiful moment.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
That Carlisle game was absolute class. I remember when Carlisle equalised in the 91st minute to make it 3-3. The scorer ran over to H block south stand and celebrated in front of us. I was thinking God I hate that pr*ck. Then we scored in the 94th - such a beautiful moment.

This. What a moment that was. From ****, what have we done, he is a cu*t and two points dropped. too ****ing hell we've scored and won.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I went for the Derby game, partly for the Ravenelli factor but mostly because it was the only one I went to. I did manage to see the Oldham game though as that was one of those rarest of things, a televised Brighton game in league one.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I remember being in my student flat listening to Cantor for the Carlisle game and going BALLISTIC when that went in, one of my most memorable moments that I wasn't there to see in person.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I love the look on the stewards face at the end of the Man City video, was probably delighted to throw some oik off of the pitch and then realises the entire stand/running track are on the pitch and gives up.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Voted for the Carlisle game for reasons already posted. It had a lasting effect on my son - who is now an academy coach.

For me it mattered so much more than the City game. We were never going to win the cup - but that made me really believe we would get promoted.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
never quite got the hype of the City win. Yes, they were "the richest club in the world" but they'd been that for like a DAY by the time they played us and really were just a mid table premier league side- they came 10th that season and 9th the season before. Their most famous player- Robinho, wasn't in the squad....here is their line up:

Schmeichel, Zabaleta, Dunne, Ben-Haim, Michael Ball, Kompany, Ireland, Johnson (Elano 102), Gelson, Sturridge (Evans 60), Jo (Caicedo 91).
Subs Not Used: Hart, Garrido, Hamann, Logan.

yeh, you've got some decent players in their but most of them are hardly megastars....better than our players? sure....but it is also ultimately a competition that lends itself to "upsets" as most Premier League clubs don't care about it that much

Derby- yeh it was great but we DID get relegated that season so ultimately it was worthless

So going for one of the League One 2010/11 ones....and i think it's gonna be Carlisle

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Such a tough call between the Citeh and Carlisle games, I had both the Wunt be Druv sprogs with me at the Carlisle match, it was my daughter's very first Albion game and she sat in utter bewilderment of my son and myself bouncing about in utter delirium as Bridcutt smashed that goal right in front of us in the family stand, the City win was a fantastic night, probably one of the poorest clubs in football sticking it up the oil rich Northern Johnnie's! Great memories! Probably going for the Carlisle match as it was little miss Wunt be Druvs first of many (home and away) Albion matches.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
never quite got the hype of the City win. Yes, they were "the richest club in the world" but they'd been that for like a DAY by the time they played us and really were just a mid table premier league side- they came 10th that season and 9th the season before. Their most famous player- Robinho, wasn't in the squad....here is their line up:

Schmeichel, Zabaleta, Dunne, Ben-Haim, Michael Ball, Kompany, Ireland, Johnson (Elano 102), Gelson, Sturridge (Evans 60), Jo (Caicedo 91).
Subs Not Used: Hart, Garrido, Hamann, Logan.

yeh, you've got some decent players in their but most of them are hardly megastars....better than our players? sure....but it is also ultimately a competition that lends itself to "upsets" as most Premier League clubs don't care about it that much

Derby- yeh it was great but we DID get relegated that season so ultimately it was worthless

So going for one of the League One 2010/11 ones....and i think it's gonna be Carlisle

Considering we had been beaten by Scunthorpe 4-1 earlier in the month at home, turning over Man City was not an upset, it was a bloody miracle.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Considering we had been beaten by Scunthorpe 4-1 earlier in the month at home, turning over Man City was not an upset, it was a bloody miracle.
Not to mention losing 1-0 to the nine men of Walsall on the Saturday before the City game.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I struggle to vote for any of these. Beginning to feel this is turning into 'project fear and loathing'. :shrug:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here