Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] F*** me, Lallana’s impressive

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
“I was in five or six positions in the final third against Everton where I have hesitated and made the wrong decision at an important time. We've all got to work so that when we're in those positions we make the right call.

“It will come, I am convinced. We're still gelling and we're on the right road but we need to keep improving.”

Not many people are prepared to criticise themselves for the greater good. He is. Kudos.

And this from a man who was MoM or damn close behind Biss.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
“I was in five or six positions in the final third against Everton where I have hesitated and made the wrong decision at an important time. We've all got to work so that when we're in those positions we make the right call.

“It will come, I am convinced. We're still gelling and we're on the right road but we need to keep improving.”

Not many people are prepared to criticise themselves for the greater good. He is. Kudos.

And this from a man who was MoM or damn close behind Biss.

well yes, but shouldn't he have learnt by now? He's over 30 isn't he? He can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo so he should always be looking to pass.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
It's the way he seems to be able to turn into three players and glide out the other side, rather than play the obvious ball that impresses me. You think 'no, not that way' - but then he passes the ball perfectly. Too perfectly in fact, as the others can't keep up with his mind.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
It's the way he seems to be able to turn into three players and glide out the other side, rather than play the obvious ball that impresses me. You think 'no, not that way' - but then he passes the ball perfectly. Too perfectly in fact, as the others can't keep up with his mind.

I don't think I've seen a better footballer when it comes to using feint to find space and foot trickery than him.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

I don't think I've seen a better footballer when it comes to using feint to find space and foot trickery than him.

Both of these. His technical ability is as good as any Albion player I’ve seen, if not better. (Vicente?)

However, what I was focussing on was his willingness to criticise himself to try to urge his team mates to improve themselves too.

At the risk of exposing my man love for him, he’s just bloody ace.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I’m really happy that he’s not only playing well, but completing and playing consecutive games. Because for a while it looked quite concerning seeing him only playing one half.

He’s been unreal of late, just sensational play and ridiculous vision. He and Bissouma must be one of the best midfield pairings in the league.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Both of these. His technical ability is as good as any Albion player I’ve seen, if not better. (Vicente?)

However, what I was focussing on was his willingness to criticise himself to try to urge his team mates to improve themselves too.

This. He is going to be our best ever player.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He is obviously a very good player, however I’m assuming he’s referring to the fact that he did twice underhit passes to Welbeck that could’ve resulted in goal scoring opportunities. And his own shot that he blazed over also.

I actually thought by his (very high recent) standards he was slightly below par against Everton.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Great leadership from Lana.
Admitting he got a few things wrong and taking responsibility for that but also by doing so it's an attempt to take the blame off some of his team mates and absorb the vast majority of blame upon his own person.
I like him as a player but I'm also starting to like him as a person too.top bloke.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lovely player, great passer, terrific close control and good at retaining possession in tight spaces. He's clever.

But f*ck me, he is so, SO Albion when it comes to shooting.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

I don’t try and hide the man love, I’ve been fully exposed for a while. He is a wonderful player and character.

I get so much joy from just watching him out there for us. His ability on the ball and appreciation of space really are quite special. I desperately hope he maintains his fitness and we do get at least another full season out of him. One of the most enjoyable players I’ve ever seen play for us.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Hmmmmmm is it though?

Lallana is great.
The team is much better when he's playing.
Players around him, I'm looking at you now Trossard, are much better for his presence.

The problem is I've noticed this isn't the first time he's put himself in the firing line but made sure he didn't take all the bullets himself.
IMHO for him to live up to the title, he should leave everyone else out of the assessment.

It's not like it isn't there for us all to see, it's still implied and very much justified.
Hopefully it's a point rather forceably made behind closed doors, but calling out others isn't a great look.

Very much #TeamLallana
Very much #TeamThreadTitle
Not so much #TeamThreadTitleWithRegardToThreadContent.

I now wait for the usual Stat hates Lallana/The Albion bashing, from those with an agenda who refuse to read what's written.

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Hmmmmmm is it though?

Lallana is great.
The team is much better when he's playing.
Players around him, I'm looking at you now Trossard, are much better for his presence.

The problem is I've noticed this isn't the first time he's put himself in the firing line but made sure he didn't take all the bullets himself.
IMHO for him to live up to the title, he should leave everyone else out of the assessment.

It's not like it isn't there for us all to see, it's still implied and very much justified.
Hopefully it's a point rather forceably made behind closed doors, but calling out others isn't a great look.

Very much #TeamLallana
Very much #TeamThreadTitle
Not so much #TeamThreadTitleWithRegardToThreadContent.

I now wait for the usual Stat hates Lallana/The Albion bashing, from those with an agenda who refuse to read what's written.

I’m not sure which part of the paragraph in my post which you emboldened you disagree with. There are two object clauses in it: I said ‘he criticises himself’ to ‘urge [his team mates] to improve’.

That seems an entirely reasonable summary given the quote of his I referred to in my OP has him saying ‘...I hesitated and made the wrong decision’ and ‘we have all got to work...to make the right call’

Which bit of the paragraph you emboldened do you disagree with?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’m not sure which part of the paragraph in my post which you emboldened you disagree with. There are two object clauses in it: I said ‘he criticises himself’ to ‘urge [his team mates] to improve’.

That seems an entirely reasonable summary given the quote of his I referred to in my OP has him saying ‘...I hesitated and made the wrong decision’ and ‘we have all got to work...to make the right call’

Which bit of the paragraph you emboldened do you disagree with?

It's ended up with more 'we' than 'I'.

As said I don't have a problem, but for me, for Lallana to be "impressive" in this specific context, I feel that should all be 'I'. (Although I am gelling might not work :lol: )

Off to work now - toodles.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

It's ended up with more 'we' than 'I'.

As said I don't have a problem, but for me, for Lallana to be "impressive" in this specific context, I feel that should all be 'I'. (Although I am gelling might not work :lol: )

Off to work now - toodles.

I think you’d have a point if where he’s used ‘we’ he’d instead used ‘they’. ‘We’ includes ‘I’.

As I said, I think what he said was impressive - mostly because he specifically used ‘I’ in a critical fashion.

You disagree - fair enough.

Have a good day at work.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
He's a fine player with superb skills and has played at the highest levels. He's demanding of himself and others, and our results have improved since he's become a regular. That's what we need. If he can stay fit and improve his shooting, he could become one of our greatest players ever. We're very fortunate to have him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here