Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Graham Potter

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What a sensational piece of football writing.

Should Henry Winter ever decide to move on, I reckon The Sunday Times could do a lot worse...

Most kind :lolol:

I have my moments. Not sure that kind of thing would get past the Times editor, mind.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
He'd spent his career playing in the PL, then played for England,and managed the U21s. What has GP got on his CV compared with that ?

What’s that got to do with the price of fish. Plenty of managers weren’t elite players. Whats Wenger’s and Mourinho’s playing career like? Brendan Rodgers? Sarri?

Fact is prior to England, Southgate had an appalling managerial record.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Ha. You’ve proved you know **** all. Well done.

Well, they did win it...

If you're alluding to them spending money, lots of teams in that division spend a fortune and don't win the league.

And I seem to remember that they had two centre halves they signed from us for buttons, a striker that scored 20 goals but cost less than CMS and a number of journeymen.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Well, they did win it...

If you're alluding to them spending money, lots of teams in that division spend a fortune and don't win the league.

And I seem to remember that they had two centre halves they signed from us for buttons, a striker that scored 20 goals but cost less than CMS and a number of journeymen.

Yes they won it

They cheated and got away with it

Good old Eddie Howe

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What’s that got to do with the price of fish. Plenty of managers weren’t elite players. Whats Wenger’s and Mourinho’s playing career like? Brendan Rodgers? Sarri?

Fact is prior to England, Southgate had an appalling managerial record.

I'm not a massive fan of Southgate either. But comparing his track record with what GP has achieved is nonsense. Southgate had been in and around the elite levels of playing and managing in English football, prior to playing at International level, then managing the U21s, so it was obviously a fairly natural progression for the blazers to give him the top job.

Wenger, Mourinho, Rogers and Sarri ?? Yes, equally undistinguished careers as players, but do we really need to acknowledge that Potter has a wee bit do go on the managerial treadmill before he can hold a torch to those guys ? And NONE of them have managed their countries either, so why on earth would Potter get fast-tracked ??

Head. Wobble.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Late to this party, but I have to disagree. Spuds fans are starved of success, they want instant results not a long term project.

As for GP, why risk your reputation on an instant gamble, when you can grow your vision with unwavering backing from a supportive chairman?

A few million a year and a massive pay off when you **** up might swing it.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Rightly or wrongly, Potter will never have the track record to go from BHA and get a job at one of the 'big clubs' in the PL. He doesn't have the profile or charisma, and he's not foreign. Thems the facts. Top PL jobs simply do not go to guys like GP.

As for England - I struggle to fathom how he even comes into some peoples equation with that one. We've all seen that his methods take a long, long time to sink in with a squad of players, and thats when he's on the training ground with them almost every day of the week. Quite how that would transfer to managing the England squad for 2-3 games every few months I do not have an earthly. PLUS he would be bossing a whole bunch of seasoned internationals who spend their club careers working with the likes of Klopp, Mourinho, Pep, Tuchel, Ancelotti...managers steeped in trophies and success domestically and in Europe, so the element of "who the f*ck are you?" would be clanging round the dressing room like a brass pair of bollocks on a bucking bronco.

This isn't to say I don't rate GP. I do, but his methods require a lot of patience and a fair amount of faith, along with the lowered expectations that come with that. And at BHA he is (rightly ) afforded that. But in a high profile job, he simply would not be afforded that level of leaway, because he would have to hit the ground running with results.

And that ain't how it works with him.

But imagine if potter gets us to Europe within the next three seasons, surely then he would have proved himself worthy of a top 6 club.
We have already seen pep guardiola signing potters praises but other managers are also praising his abilities and must certainly be noticed by richer club's owners.
Other owners must be looking at our chances created and thinking to themselves"flippin Eck,with our quality we would convert those chances and be rompin it."
Certainly were pep and potter share the same philosophys ,potter would be a natural replacement at city in a few years.
I can see him at England because I think potters style of play is what England want to see and I think potter is better at it than Southgate, especially after working so closely with ashworth here at Brighton.
Potters style has only taken a while to sink in with us but at city and England the style is already there,so the transition will be much smoother and I think the respect the managers show towards potter during their own teams preparations has an effect on those players who I also think are gaining a strong respect for potter so I don't think that will be a problem in an England dressing room or any other dressing room.
But I agree the likes of klopp,pep,maurihno etc are big shoes to fill but they are managers who have many years behind them whereas potters are still in front of him so no reason why he won't be as well known and established as they are in the future.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I expect him to have earned the right to manage at this level and gained respect through his achievements within the game. I just see a complete joke of a CV. Fair enough replace CH, but this guy is not fit to put CH cones out on the training ground

What part of your CV "earns you the right" to have an opinion on who is and who is not a good coach?

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I’m not denying Howe’s record. I’m not saying he’s bad. But I don’t get the obsession with him either. Has he achieved far more? You’re being slightly disingenuous by not mentioning GP’s climb through the ranks in Sweden to reaching the Europa league. A different path to Eddie, but shouldn’t be overlooked.

Anyway, you didn’t answer the question. Howe was relegated last season and had to walk away from his club. Whereas GP kept his club up with a club record point total.

That’s why I find it slightly bizarre to want to replace him with the guy who finished below him and was relegated. Surely you can see that.

I'm not overlooking Potter's achievements in Sweden but I think we could consider achievements in England to hold more weight than those in countries with a relatively average UEFA coefficient.

Yeah, Howe was relegated. Does that undo all of his accomplishments? If we got relegated, what you suddenly decide Potter is crap?

I don't think it's bizarre. Liverpool are likely going to finish below West Ham this season. Does that make Moyes a better manager than Klopp?

As I said, personally I wouldn't swap Potter for Howe but it's disingenuous to suggest Potter is a better manager at this stage.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I expect him to have earned the right to manage at this level and gained respect through his achievements within the game. I just see a complete joke of a CV. Fair enough replace CH, but this guy is not fit to put CH cones out on the training ground

Lampard ticked all those boxes and eventually turned a £750m squad into average opposition.

Swansea got rid of 14 players in summer 2018, they should’ve faced a double relegation, yet Potter coached them to 10th. Bloom and Ashworth identified him a quality coach and man-manager, who doesn’t rely on the owner’s chequebook.

There are several routes to become a top flight manager. My instinct is that Bloom’s got this right.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I'm not a massive fan of Southgate either. But comparing his track record with what GP has achieved is nonsense. Southgate had been in and around the elite levels of playing and managing in English football, prior to playing at International level, then managing the U21s, so it was obviously a fairly natural progression for the blazers to give him the top job.

Wenger, Mourinho, Rogers and Sarri ?? Yes, equally undistinguished careers as players, but do we really need to acknowledge that Potter has a wee bit do go on the managerial treadmill before he can hold a torch to those guys ? And NONE of them have managed their countries either, so why on earth would Potter get fast-tracked ??

Head. Wobble.

Oh, I’m not comparing GP’s record with those elite managers. Obviously not. He’s a young coach still in the early-mid phase of his career.

I’m merely pointing out that if Southgate can be fast tracked to take over the national job after what was a very uninspiring (or arguably a failed club) managerial career, it’s really not that far fetched that Potter could either. I think you’re vastly overplaying Southgate’s managerial record in the game, and as we’ve established, playing careers aren’t a requirement for elite management.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
You said to the guy that (I think) is Potter out 'What does GP have to do for you to think he’s doing a good job?'.

And I was curious what he has done to make you think that he would be poached by a bigger club.

I don’t recall saying he would be. He could be. Ask the OP.

Not really sure what one’s got to do with the other I was asking someone else a question. I’ll answer when Tom answers mine [emoji38]

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
You said to the guy that (I think) is Potter out 'What does GP have to do for you to think he’s doing a good job?'.

And I was curious what he has done to make you think that he would be poached by a bigger club.

He hasn't done anything yet. He just seems to be the right man at the right time for us. There is nothing wrong with that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here