Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Graham Potter

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What on earth has someone's playing career got to do with their ability to manage? :shrug:

Oh, I’m not comparing GP’s record with those elite managers. Obviously not. He’s a young coach still in the early-mid phase of his career.

I’m merely pointing out that if Southgate can be fast tracked to take over the national job after what was a very uninspiring (or arguably a failed club) managerial career, it’s really not that far fetched that Potter could either. I think you’re vastly overplaying Southgate’s managerial record in the game, and as we’ve established, playing careers aren’t a requirement for elite management.

His club managerial career is clearly FAR from a glittering one, and I would never have argued otherwise. But then much like Potter, he was never high profile enough, trendy enough, or foreign enough to get a top job in the PL. So he ended up with a bottom-feeder club like Boro and duly got relegated, which (rightly or wrongly) is the kind of boat GP is in. Clubs our size cannot always survive in the PL.

HOWEVER

Southgate won 57 caps for England, and featured in several tournaments for his country. That counts for a LOT in terms of relevant experience when the FA were trawling round for someone to step into the breach for the top job when Allardyce was sent packing with his pint of Black Tower. Plus he had 32 games under his belt as U21 manager. So it was an obvious natural progression to give him the gaff (also convenient was that he wouldn't say boo to a goose and was a controversy-free candidate - thats probably the only similarity with GP).

GP simply doesn't have any kind of track record at the top level. I dunno why we're arguing over this tbh.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
His club managerial career is clearly FAR from a glittering one, and I would never have argued otherwise. But then much like Potter, he was never high profile enough, trendy enough, or foreign enough to get a top job in the PL. So he ended up with a bottom-feeder club like Boro and duly got relegated, which (rightly or wrongly) is the kind of boat GP is in. Clubs our size cannot always survive in the PL.

HOWEVER

Southgate won 57 caps for England, and featured in several tournaments for his country. That counts for a LOT in terms of relevant experience when the FA were trawling round for someone to step into the breach for the top job when Allardyce was sent packing with his pint of Black Tower. Plus he had 32 games under his belt as U21 manager. So it was an obvious natural progression to give him the gaff (also convenient was that he wouldn't say boo to a goose and was a controversy-free candidate - thats probably the only similarity with GP).

GP simply doesn't have any kind of track record at the top level. I dunno why we're arguing over this tbh.

Agree to disagree [emoji106]. As Southgate and Big Sam previously got the job, and the FA are keen to recruit English I still don’t think it’s far fetched GP would be a candidate for the England job at all someday. I hope I’m wrong and you’re right.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Agree to disagree [emoji106]. As Southgate and Big Sam previously got the job, and the FA are keen to recruit English I still don’t think it’s far fetched GP would be a candidate for the England job at all someday. I hope I’m wrong and you’re right.

Actually I hope I'm wrong and you're right - I'd love GP to be a future candidate for England, not least because it'll mean he'd have had to have done an absolutely BLINDING job at BHA for starters.

I just find it faintly ludicrous to have his name mentioned in the same sentence as 'England manager' at this point. Its almost like saying that I could write a column for the Sunday Times, off the back of some of the drivel I've posted on NSC :wink:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I just find it faintly ludicrous to have his name mentioned in the same sentence as 'England manager' at this point. Its almost like saying that I could write a column for the Sunday Times, off the back of some of the drivel I've posted on NSC :wink:

Yeah.

What sort of feeble-brained idiot would make an assertion like that? Still, gotta pass the time on this coach to Glasgow somehow. Just gone past Mansfield so only another 6 hours to go.

To be honest I was expecting to see a few more of us on here. Seems like it’s just me?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yeah.

What sort of feeble-brained idiot would make an assertion like that? Still, gotta pass the time on this coach to Glasgow somehow. Just gone past Mansfield so only another 6 hours to go.

To be honest I was expecting to see a few more of us on here. Seems like it’s just me?

:lolol:

I'm getting the 8.15 up there tomorrow morning. See you at Newport Pagnall ? :thumbsup:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I'm not so sure the big clubs would go for him to be honest. Whether we like them or not Eddie Howe and Sean Dyche have long been touted as potentially being managers for bigger clubs, but how many approaches have they actually had. Even Nuno at Wolves, who has arguably a bigger profile than Potter by getting Wolves up to the Prem, into Europe and playing good football has admirers and you hear pundits saying he'd do well here or there, but I don't think he's been approached by anyone either. Potter is a good manager and he is getting recognition, but whether that would translate to an approach from a big club is another matter. Would any of them have the patience to give him a couple of seasons? I personally don't think they would.

This all day long. It’s one of the few benefits of the rampant entitlement and short-termism of many clubs and supporters in the Premier League. Not many would tolerate a quiet, unassuming manager from a little club like Brighton.

Good.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Southgate won 57 caps for England, and featured in several tournaments for his country. That counts for a LOT in terms of relevant experience when the FA were trawling round for someone to step into the breach for the top job

England have had 18 managers in their history. Of those, 11 played international football and of the seve that didn't, quite a few didn't play top flight football and some had no real football career at all. So, while it seems to be an advantage to have played for a national team, it's by no means a must have.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
England have had 18 managers in their history. Of those, 11 played international football and of the seven that didn't, quite a few didn't play top flight football and some had no real football career at all. So, while it seems to be an advantage to have played for a national team, it's by no means a must have.

And of those 18 managers, 17 have (so far) been failures. That said, its certainly a "nice to have" to have been an International, especially in terms of that experience of International tournament football.

Southgate, having been in several England camps as a tournament player (57 caps + captaincies) would have ticked some big boxes at the FA, despite his club managerial career having being about on a par with Roy Cropper running a whelk stall.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
And of those 18 managers, 17 have (so far) been failures. That said, its certainly a "nice to have" to have been an International, especially in terms of that experience of International tournament football.

Southgate, having been in several England camps as a tournament player (57 caps + captaincies) would have ticked some big boxes at the FA, despite his club managerial career having being about on a par with Roy Cropper running a whelk stall.

I would add that a number of successful international managers were pretty average at club level. Luis Aragonés, Roger Lemerre. Joachim Löw hardly had a sparkling CV.

Half the battle in international football is having a manager whom the players like and creates a good atmosphere. They are hardly together throughout the year.

That is why I like Southgate, especially with youngsters. Not because he is a tactical mastermind, but because the players seem to like playing for him.

It is a myth that the manager needs a strong CV. Capello, anyone ? Best manager we ever had- lost the dressing room.

I think Southgate is the sort of bang average nice bloke type that England could reach a final with.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Teams will think about it, but until he’s done a bit more here it would be a huge risk for both sides. Give it a year or two and when we’re mid-table with more youngsters properly established, it will be very hard work to keep hold of him. That’s why the ridiculous contract from Uncle Tony was a good move.

At that point, I hope the big club would need to be in a strong position (and thus less likely to want a manager and especially a rebuild mode one). Once GP can see his project bearing fruit it must be harder to leave. That said we’ll have to hold onto and pay the guys he wants to keep and let go for decent money the ones he’s OK with. Big clubs might not give him that power but here I think the right balance would be struck.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
No in the cold light of day bigger clubs are only interested in results not projects and he has achieved nothing so far.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Having looked up some past managers, it's staggering that Southgate is the second most capped manager we've had (not counting caretakers). He was an OK player but not a world beater - pretty much how you'd describe him as a manager, I suppose

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Teams will think about it, but until he’s done a bit more here it would be a huge risk for both sides. Give it a year or two and when we’re mid-table with more youngsters properly established, it will be very hard work to keep hold of him. That’s why the ridiculous contract from Uncle Tony was a good move.

At that point, I hope the big club would need to be in a strong position (and thus less likely to want a manager and especially a rebuild mode one). Once GP can see his project bearing fruit it must be harder to leave. That said we’ll have to hold onto and pay the guys he wants to keep and let go for decent money the ones he’s OK with. Big clubs might not give him that power but here I think the right balance would be struck.

I haven't seen him do anything to suggest he can get us into the top 10,but based on the turn around in 2021 he seems to have enough about him to keep us above the dotted line,. With his strengths being playing decent football and bringing through the youngsters I can see him seeing out his contract and building a decent reputation for himself.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
GP's still only 45 years old. He's previously taken his wife and family to go and live on almost the edge of the Arctic circle for seven years.
He's then moved them to Wales for a year, and then upped sticks again and moved them to Sussex.

His kids will finally be settled in school, his wife will have established another new set of friends, they are living in one of the nicest parts of England, he's part of a leadership team working on a vision with three top people in Bloom, Barber and Ashworth.
He's only two years into a plan of redesigning the Albion's style of play. He still has over four years left on his contract and he's being paid handsomely for the job of his dreams. And most importantly he's highly respected by anyone who knows anything about football.

He's not going anywhere for a while.
We're lucky to have him and he's lucky to be here.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
GP's still only 45 years old. He's previously taken his wife and family to go and live on almost the edge of the Arctic circle for seven years.
He's then moved them to Wales for a year, and then upped sticks again and moved them to Sussex.

His kids will finally be settled in school, his wife will have established another new set of friends, they are living in one of the nicest parts of England, he's part of a leadership team working on a vision with three top people in Bloom, Barber and Ashworth.
He's only two years into a plan of redesigning the Albion's style of play. He still has over four years left on his contract and he's being paid handsomely for the job of his dreams. And most importantly he's highly respected by anyone who knows anything about football.

This

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I really hope NSC isn’t gonna have a thread on the possibility of losing every good asset we have from now until next season - it’s depressing!
Of course it will.

The football manager generation love squad tinkering. Add in a few disguised palace fans making mischief about the best things albion coming to an end.... and you have the perfect storm.

Ignore it. Que sera sera. Tony will have great contingencies in place, and demand top compensation levels.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Let’s not forget he is also very lucky that we haven’t had fans in the stadium too. :wink:

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Of course it will.

The football manager generation love squad tinkering. Add in a few disguised palace fans making mischief about the best things albion coming to an end.... and you have the perfect storm.

Ignore it. Que sera sera. Tony will have great contingencies in place, and demand top compensation levels.

Isn't that how Leicester has moved up the ladder to become a team fighting for a top 4 place?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Isn't that how Leicester has moved up the ladder to become a team fighting for a top 4 place?
Yes. Sort of. That was natural squad evolution that always happens.

I am talking about fan fantasy squad building - particularly the fantasies about shipping out our best assets en masse and asap !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here