Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Graham Potter

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Anyone think that if we stay up, a bigger club might come in for Potter ? Forget the long contract, not worth the paper it's written on !

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Not this summer, he’d need to do more than just keep us up to really get their attention

scooter1

How soon is now?
Nah. No other club at this time will give him the time he needs and requires to get a team playing his style. Most PL clubs are too short term, but we have a solid infrastructure to support him(even in the event we were to go down). It’s also why I don’t think he could ever manage England

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
No. Can't see anyone who currently has a better and more interesting long term project than us right now. That's what persuaded Potter to leave Swansea, and it's what's going to keep him here for the foreseeable future imo.

He hasn't proved himself enough yet for one of the top, top jobs with oodles of money, and I simply don't think the other clubs, the ones in and around our position, would attract him enough, particularly when he's already uprooted his family twice in the last three years

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Almost certainly. I was thinking about this earlier.

My prediction, reluctantly, is that it will be Spurs.

Mourinho sacked after a very poor season. Spurs want to go for something completely different - a young, promising, English and attack minded manager that doesn't command a massive contract.

The question would be - would GP abandon his project here, which comes with the complete backing of the board and fans, in order to risk his reputation at the likes of Spurs?

The answer to that is, yes, he probably would.
I can't comprehend just how much money it would cost to oust Jose & sing GPott.
As well as opening the cheque book for GPott

All for a club with no money, can't see it myself...

...yet.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
No way this summer.
If we do make good progress next season, then next summer there'd be a bigger chance for sure

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Nope, he is in the perfect club for him at the moment and I think he would turn down any offers for the time being. Maybe in two years or so.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Anyone think that if we stay up, a bigger club might come in for Potter ? Forget the long contract, not worth the paper it's written on !

Well according to some here, GP should be gone. In fact some would rather have Eddie Howe or Steve McClaren!

I agree with you they’ll be interest. People have started to take notice of what GP is doing here.

Which clubs would go for Potter though?

Top 4? Nah. He’s not trendy enough.
Bottom half? Why leave us for a side step.
The clubs that we may be concerned about would be Spurs or Arsenal. I think our biggest threat long term actually is the England job.

But as he’s a good fit for us, we’re a perfect club for him as well. It’s a long term project with an infrastructure built to support him, an incredible academy and even more importantly we have a supportive owner.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Mourinho sacked after a very poor season. Spurs want to go for something completely different - a young, promising, English and attack minded manager that doesn't command a massive contract.

The question would be - would GP abandon his project here, which comes with the complete backing of the board and fans, in order to risk his reputation at the likes of Spurs?

You think? I don’t think it’d be as nailed on a decision as you think actually.

Look at what happens here when we get a disappointing result. The fanbase at Spurs is merciless. They won’t have the patience for a long term project. They’d expect Champions League qualification minimum. Would be a big risk for GP to go there.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Never say never but I’d be very surprised. As much as I like GPott and his style he has not achieved anything that a bigger club would be interested in. Few years time and that will hopefully have changed

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I guess it’s a managers lot .... one minute the threat of the sack ....or being poached by a bigger club either way his project gets binned.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Funnily enough had a chat with a former colleague a couple of days ago who is a lifelong Spud (STH and about 5th generation).....lots of chatter at their end about Potter taking over from Mourinho. Had a quick look on their forum - lots of mentions....

https://thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/in-search-of-mourinhos-successor.33936/page-129

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
My Google suggestions has had some random websites (Football index?) suggesting Potter will get the sack and we're after Eddie Howe.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is the manager that a few months ago would struggle to get a job in the Championship according to quite a few people on here. Yes?

Some turnaround

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I'm not so sure the big clubs would go for him to be honest. Whether we like them or not Eddie Howe and Sean Dyche have long been touted as potentially being managers for bigger clubs, but how many approaches have they actually had. Even Nuno at Wolves, who has arguably a bigger profile than Potter by getting Wolves up to the Prem, into Europe and playing good football has admirers and you hear pundits saying he'd do well here or there, but I don't think he's been approached by anyone either. Potter is a good manager and he is getting recognition, but whether that would translate to an approach from a big club is another matter. Would any of them have the patience to give him a couple of seasons? I personally don't think they would.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here