Votes: 16 10.6%
  • 0-0. vs. Swindon Town, 2001/02 Division Two

Votes: 6 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
The draw gods have pulled some magic out of the hat for this group as we bring you the first as well as the last competitive matches at The Theatre of Trees

First game at Withdean, 6-0 vs. Mansfield Town, 1999/00 Division Three

Saturday 7th August 1999, Att: 5,882

After two years in exile on the Kent coast, Albion were coming home, albeit to an athletics stadium likened by Huddersfield manager Lou Macari to the kind of place you would stumble across on a preseason tour of Norway. The test run a few days previously against Nottingham Forest had gone according to plan This, however was the real thing . New ground, new manager (Mickey Adams) new squad, new everything, except of course us the fans …

Could it have gone any better? No, not really . The sun shone, we partied and local boy Darren Freeman scored a hat trick on his debut as Mansfield were sent packing, substitute Aidan Newhouse weighing in with a pair along with a solitary strike from Rod Thomas.

“A sunny comment late summer's afternoon stroll along the London Road with a pint on route at the Ladies Mile instead of the interminable grey drive to Gillingham. Unfamiliar surroundings and brought to life by unexpected free flowing football and a goal rush for good measure. After years of drab desperation this felt like the first time there might be light at the end of the tunnel. A bit of a long tunnel, but hey we're nearly there . Oh my God, I might cry" (Paul Mitchener)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYJkYoEfnHk

Last game at Withdean, 2-3 vs. Huddersfield Town, 2010/ 11 League One

Saturday 30th April 2011. Att: 8.416

315 competitive games later, Huddersfield Town were the final visitors to Withdean, providing Poyet’s side with a guard of honour as we walked out as League One Champions. The weather was as glorious as it was back in 1999, the sun was beating down as the curtain closed on our Withdean chapter.

The game, which ended in a last minute defeat, is also remembered for the iconic moment after the final whistle, when Withdean residents unfurled a banner wishing us luck at our new stadium. If you think back to the opposition we faced as part of the YES/YES campaign and the anger of some Withdean residents in 1999, that was a truly lovely memory.

From the BBC:

Daniel Ward scored a late winner against Brighton to keep Huddersfield in the hunt for automatic promotion.

Benik Afobe fired the Terriers ahead early on, before Liam Bridcutt headed against the bar for the Seagulls.

Ashley Barnes scored the rebound for the hosts when his penalty was saved after Elliott Bennett had been fouled

Afobe slotted in to put the visitors ahead but Matt Sparrow levelled with a low drive, before Ward fired in late on to win it for the Terriers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZr9qBvD_0w

FD4F7AD1-0C19-49BD-853E-FD5A997753F7.jpeg

3-2 vs. Leicester City, 2008/09 League One

Tuesday 28th October Att: 6,282

A famous Albion comeback, against a Leicester side who would be champions of League One at a canter. The game lives in NSC Folkestone not because our side contained, Kevin McLeod, Robbie Savage and Steve Thomson but instead as it led to the infamous ‘Just back from the Leicester game’ thread, which is true NSC GOLD.

what a load of shit it was i left at half hime we was lucky to be 2-0 down, sulivan who? he reminds me of mark walton allways in no mans land?

Adams out

there was about 100 or even more who left at half time’.

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?135539-just-back-from-the-leicester-game

With Albion 2-0 down at half time, some decided to leave, one unlucky poster put his thoughts on here. Cue an Albion comeback, Bradley Johnson grabbed a brace before a last minute Jack Hobbs own goal. Truly glorious stuff.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/7684028.stm

0-0vs Swindon, 2001/02 Division Two

Saturday 13th April 2002, Att: 6,870

Championes again! The second time Swindon make the list, the game itself wouldn’t have lived long in the memory if it had not confirmed Albion lift a league trophy as Champions at Withdean for a second year in a row. A goalless draw had the champagne corks popping again, a truly remarkable achievement .

From the BBC:

Brighton failed to beat struggling Swindon but still clinched the Division Two championship.

Bobby Zamora had a quiet game for once, although he forced a fine save from Swindon goalkeeper Bart Griemink in first-half stoppage time.

Both sides created several clear-cut opportunities but lacked a decisive cutting edge to their play.

Brighton were handed the title because nearest challengers Reading and Brentford were both held to draws.

Brighton: Kuipers, Watson, Cullip, Morgan, Mayo, Brooker, Carpenter, Lewis, Nathan Jones, Zamora, Webb. Subs: Oatway, Gray, Hadland, Lee, Pethick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MfdZs2A94USwindon game starts at 12:46

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
In all four rounds l think this one has the least stand out matches, and although l wasn't present for our Withdean debut, this is the game that l voted for, our first game back in Brighton aftet two long lonely seasons at grey unwelcoming Gillingham.

It felt so good to be back! and what a way to start our Withdean adventure.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
whatever happened to Aiden Newhouse? A proper forgotten man of that era

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
After two years in exile on the Kent coast, Albion were coming home, albeit to an athletics stadium likened by Huddersfield manager Lou Macari to the kind of place you would stumble across on a preseason tour of Norway.
[/I]

I've been to Norway, and had a kick about at a football facility . . . . he was bang on, except the back drop in Norway was much nicer.

After 2 years going to GIllingham, Withdean was like a Nou Camp

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I've voted for the Swindon game, not for the match that if memory serves was fairly dull but for the celebrations afterwards. Met some of the players and staff in the Sportsman afterwards, my brother somehow got one of Lee Steele's boots, and we ended up having a bonfire in the middle of the road outside Grand Central. Top day.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

315 competitive games later, Huddersfield Town were the final visitors to Withdean, providing Poyet’s side with a guard of honour as we walked out as League One Champions. The weather was as glorious as it was back in 1999, the sun was beating down as the curtain closed on our Withdean chapter.

The game, which ended in a last minute defeat, is also remembered for the iconic moment after the final whistle, when Withdean residents unfurled a banner wishing us luck at our new stadium. If you think back to the opposition we faced as part of the YES/YES campaign and the anger of some Withdean residents in 1999, that was a truly lovely memory.

From the BBC:

Daniel Ward scored a late winner against Brighton to keep Huddersfield in the hunt for automatic promotion.

Benik Afobe fired the Terriers ahead early on, before Liam Bridcutt headed against the bar for the Seagulls.

Ashley Barnes scored the rebound for the hosts when his penalty was saved after Elliott Bennett had been fouled

Afobe slotted in to put the visitors ahead but Matt Sparrow levelled with a low drive, before Ward fired in late on to win it for the Terriers.

View attachment 135875

Oi, that's my photo - where did that come from?! :mad:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

View attachment 135875

I have a photo of the same thing but you are in the middle of it, which is why I didn't post it on Nsc!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Those were the only two goals he ever scored for us! He seemed to fall off the radar when he left the club, and checking on wikki the only confirmed appearance he ever made afterwards, was a solitary one for Northwich Victoria in 2001.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Those were the only two goals he ever scored for us! He seemed to fall off the radar when he left the club, and checking on wikki the only confirmed appearance he ever made afterwards, was a solitary one for Northwich Victoria in 2001.

From the video I've just watched, he became a maths teacher at St Andrew's in Worthing.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/756997

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I floated home after the Mansfield game, drunk on love for the Albion.

I staggered home, drunk on a few pre match pints in The Nightingale with [MENTION=1663]Scoffers[/MENTION] watching all the football fans arrive at the station again after two years away and an uncountable number of pints in The Nelson afterwards which culminated in me taking a piss next to Mickey Adams and staggering past Dick Knight whilst grinning like Dave Benson-Phillips on ecstasy.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells

From the BBC:

View attachment 135875

You sure? I was almost certain I took it. It was a while ago and I wouldn’t swear to it, but I recall taking a photo in a simile position. And if you took it, where did I get it from?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I staggered home, drunk on a few pre match pints in The Nightingale with [MENTION=1663]Scoffers[/MENTION] watching all the football fans arrive at the station again after two years away and an uncountable number of pints in The Nelson afterwards which culminated in me taking a piss next to Mickey Adams and staggering past Dick Knight whilst grinning like Dave Benson-Phillips on ecstasy.

Oh what a day!!!!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

He taught my twin boys Maths at Oakmeeds School (now known as The Burgess Hill Academy)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here