Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] No military uniforms by close relatives of Prince Phillip at his funeral

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Apparently tradition but the reason given is that Harry, who did two tours of Afghanistan, is no longer allowed to wear military uniform since quitting the Royal Family. This seemed odd to me but looking deeper I think it was to stop the Queen’s favourite son embarrassing her by turning out in an Admiral’s uniform.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...tary-uniform-at-philip-s-funeral-b929726.html

Apologies if I am treading on Crodo’s feet here :wink:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Apparently tradition but the reason given is that Harry, who did two tours of Afghanistan, is no longer allowed to wear military uniform since quitting the Royal Family.

If Harry still has the military uniform he wore to that fancy dress party surely he could have popped that on?

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Its a nice touch by the Queen.
Sends a message out to Harry that he is in their thoughts, also gives a less imperialistic look to proceedings to make it more inclusive to everyone in society and also possibly a diplomatic move with what's going on in Ukraine.
But I imagine it is mostly for Harry which is very thoughtful.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Apparently tradition but the reason given is that Harry, who did two tours of Afghanistan, is no longer allowed to wear military uniform since quitting the Royal Family. This seemed odd to me but looking deeper I think it was to stop the Queen’s favourite son embarrassing her by turning out in an Admiral’s uniform.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...tary-uniform-at-philip-s-funeral-b929726.html

Apologies if I am treading on Crodo’s feet here :wink:

Not quite right he can no longer wear his "honoury" uniform so he could go dressed in his Captains uniform when he served but he wont get to wear all the lovely badges, braids and American styled medals and jumped up rank.

Also an issue with Andrew wanting to wear his honoury Admirals uniform so the Old Girl said no body gets to dress up.

They will both have to wait for an alternative party (this is not meant as an attempt to underming HRH Philips funeral).

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I thought Phil had it written into his will that his funeral would be no Nonces and no fancy dress?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Well, Harry has made his bed, he can bloody well lie in it.

He should be shamed and made feel stupid - he knew the deal.

But I admire the queen for not putting the boot in.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Didn't Andy Pandy want to play "pretend admirals" too?

I like the idea it was like dealing with a four year old. "No you can't go to school dressed as batman, you have to put on your school jumper."

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Always makes me laugh seeing Prince Edward in uniform, he must have had a pretty action packed month in the Royal Marines given all those medals he's sporting.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Always makes me laugh seeing Prince Edward in uniform, he must have had a pretty action packed month in the Royal Marines given all those medals he's sporting.

Aren't they for "It's A Royal Knockout"?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Freddie Starr always seemed to get hold of one.

I think it is a shame that generations of tradition are spoiled by Harry opting out. Bearing in mind how proud Prince Phillip was of his military connections, it must have been a difficult decision for the Queen.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well, Harry has made his bed, he can bloody well lie in it.

He should be shamed and made feel stupid - he knew the deal.

Utter nonsense. I'm not sure you could be wider of the mark, if you tried.

Prince Harry served two active tours of Afghanistan. He would have been completely entitled to wear his field uniform, to the rank of Captain, earned in conflict, on this occasion. Which family you come from, or remain fully part of, affects that right, not one jot.

You think he should be 'ashamed, and made (to) feel stupid', rather than the guy eluding FBI questioning over trafficking and rape of underage girls, who fancied dressing up in a uniform and regalia beyond anything actually earned?

:shrug:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
As if Her Majesty didn't have enough on her plate she now has to deal with the idiot branch of the family wanting to play "dress up"..

I think there is some rule that you can only wear a military uniform if it is not to the detriment of the service (or something along those lines). Someone should be bagging up all Andrew's uniforms and taking them to the charity shop or clothing recycling centre. That man is an embarrassment to the country, not just to his mother.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Nicholas Witchell reporting for the BBC is only mentioning that it's to save Harry any embarrassment that none of them are wearing uniform.

The BBC didn't even mention Andrew wanting to dress up as an Admiral which absolutely stinks of biased coverage and shows just how manipulative our national broadcaster can be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here