Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] No military uniforms by close relatives of Prince Phillip at his funeral

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I've not got a dog in this fight, but all this is a bit mental, isn't it?

Breaking news on my phone earlier was about who can or can't wear what to a funeral. With EVERYTHING that is going on in the world at the moment, THAT story is deemed one of the most important ones?

Does anyone care? Does it REALLY matter?

Whilst your post captures my views perfectly, this whole charade has highlighted one thing to me. Can you imagine how bad all this is going to be when the Queen pops it? It wont just be worse, it'll be Palace winning in the 93rd minute worse.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Whilst your post captures my views perfectly, this whole charade has highlighted one thing to me. Can you imagine how bad all this is going to be when the Queen pops it? It wont just be worse, it'll be Palace winning in the 93rd minute worse.

On the plus side, on the day the monarch dies everyone gets sent home from work.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
On the plus side, on the day the monarch dies everyone gets sent home from work.

Whilst i agree that's an upside, Going to work at the moment is switching the light on in the study so I wont have far to go. I think I'd prefer spreadsheets and pointless meetings than wall to wall Witchell which really is saying something.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Whilst i agree that's an upside, Going to work at the moment is switching the light on in the study so I wont have far to go. I think I'd prefer spreadsheets and pointless meetings than wall to wall Witchell which really is saying something.

Other channels are available.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
[MENTION=750]swindonseagull[/MENTION] will give you the inside track on the Duke of York.
This is when they used to empty the aircraft latrines on the royal flight :lolol:

Someone had to empty the latrines and this is why we gave you a nice yellow Honeywagon.....you played with the toilets while the techies got on with fixing the jet!!!!!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Phillip was very quiet about his military service but listening to the We Have Ways.. podcast this week was a real eye opener. He was a bit of a boy.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

The thing is, some people won't think of it as worse, they'll be LAPPING it up. I remember when Diana and the Queen Mum died there were people more upset about their passing than members of their own family! It's madness to me.

The story is nothing more than a very old man has died and yet the front pages of the national press are running stories on the intricate details of the day, how the Queen is going to say goodbye, the two 'warring' brothers are being kept apart and a chopped Land Rover that's acting as the coffin. Oh – and the fact that a son is a bit upset about losing his old man. No fecking shit :wozza:

I'm predicting a week of National mourning when Liz goes.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Record complaints to the BBC about the pan-platform, wall to wall drivel on the day he died. Complaints I agree with. And the BBC have listened and are only covering the funeral on one channel I think.
The BBC also got over 6000 complaints from people complaining how easy it was to complain to the BBC :-(
People are bloody morons.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The thing is, some people won't think of it as worse, they'll be LAPPING it up. I remember when Diana and the Queen Mum died there were people more upset about their passing than members of their own family! It's madness to me.

The story is nothing more than a very old man has died and yet the front pages of the national press are running stories on the intricate details of the day, how the Queen is going to say goodbye, the two 'warring' brothers are being kept apart and a chopped Land Rover that's acting as the coffin. Oh – and the fact that a son is a bit upset about losing his old man. No fecking shit :wozza:

I'm predicting a week of National mourning when Liz goes.

This.

Does remind me of someone who worked for me a few years ago. She was on the phone one day to her mother and the call went on for quite a long time (I knew it was her mother as they were speaking Italian). So when she came off the phone, I asked

Is everything OK ?
"My mother has to go to a funeral tomorrow and she's really quite upset about it"
Oh that's a shame, Is it someone close ?
"God no, she hardly knows the woman but loves working herself up to a good wail" :lolol:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Record complaints to the BBC about the pan-platform, wall to wall drivel on the day he died. Complaints I agree with. And the BBC have listened and are only covering the funeral on one channel I think.
The BBC also got over 6000 complaints from people complaining how easy it was to complain to the BBC :-(
It was shocking that BBC 1 and BBC 2 were just pumping out the same feed. Absolutely no need.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's a period of 8 days of officially designated mourning for Prince Phillip, and it has already been designated as 12 days of mourning when the Queen dies.

I honestly didn't know that. Every day's a school day :thumbsup:

Although, how you mourn someone you didn't know for that long I'll never understand...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Should reinstate Points of View and give it the whole of one channel :whistle:
Mrs Jones from Hemel Hempstead writes........

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm just pissed off that nearly all the football has been bumped to 12.30. Thats ruined my afternoon goal bingo acca's this weekend.

Sake.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Record complaints to the BBC about the pan-platform, wall to wall drivel on the day he died. Complaints I agree with. And the BBC have listened and are only covering the funeral on one channel I think. ...

Hope so. I must admit that when he died I switched on the TV to hear about it. When it became obvious that it was true, and also that, yes, he was going to stay dead, it ceased to be 'news'. Certainly the story wasn't going to develop any further, i.e. he wasn't going to become a zombie. One channel dedicated to it: ok fair enough, he was a senior public figure. But the entire BBC output? Complete bollocks. Thank God for Netflix, otherwise it would have been worse than when Diana died.

Anyway, back on topic. My Dad served in the Navy in WW2 and it always used to piss him off no end when the Royals raided their dressing-up boxes. "Look at them", he'd say, "they look like dictators in a banana republic strutting round in uniforms and medals they've awarded themselves. Pure Ruritania." He aways had a soft spot for Philip though as he didn't like foreigners either.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Not with sport on.

Sky Sports Cricket tomorrow - starts 3pm.

Mumbai Indians v Sunrisers

That will be my viewing of choice.

English horseracing either side of the funeral but "as scheduled" racing from the Curragh.

Live Premiership rugby games on BT (but either side of the funeral).

F1 GP on Sunday so I'd be surprised if qualifying isn't being broadcast live.

There is plenty of sport around tomorrow.

And it's going to be a lovely day so get outside and enjoy some sunshine if you want to avoid wall to wall Withchell and a gloomy funeral

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here