Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ondrej Kudela banned.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Not sure I agree with this. Rangers kicked hell out of the opposition all game. Blood, stud marks and nasty gashes everywhere on the Prague players but one racial slur and all hell breaks loose.

Please tell me this is a joke. You're saying a contact sport justifies blatant racism? And that one racial slur was as disgusting as it gets.
I have been kicked to shit on a football field and it has never crossed my mind to get anyone back in such a manner.
A 10 game ban is not enough in this case. He quite clearly said what was alleged so this should have been a game changer, a huge message.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
he could easily have got 5 games for the foul that caused the fracas.

I'm not sure I have the THYME to explain how you've been whooshed

:)

SAC

May 21, 2014
10 match ban is about right as it send out a message. You get a 3 match ban for physically assaulting someone on the pitch.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
10 match ban is about right as it send out a message. You get a 3 match ban for physically assaulting someone on the pitch.

Ashley Barnes got a 7 match ban for tripping a referee over?!

Proven racial assault? Shouldn't play again this season, surely. If it was a Brighton player I'd want them out the club. No place for it anymore.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
UPDATE - Just seen the ban is from UEFA competitions, so it means he misses the games against Scotland and England in the Euros.

Shame.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

How can a 10 match ban be “about right” when before every PL game the commentators say “...once again, the message is ‘No room for racism.’” ??? (Appreciate this didn't happen in a PL game, btw)

So it turns out that if player is found guilty of racist abuse directed to another player during a game, he isn’t ‘kicked out’ at all. He just gets a two and half month ban. Seems there is room for racism after all.

Pathetic sanction when UEFA had the opportunity to send a really powerful message but have instead chosen to send a really weak one.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
How can a 10 match ban be “about right” when UEFA have a ‘Kick it Out’ policy and before every PL game the commentators say “...once again, the message is ‘No room for racism.’” ???

A player is found guilty of racist abuse directed to another player during a game and he isn’t ‘kicked out’ at all. He just gets a two and half month ban. No point UEFA making statements they are no prepared to back with actions.

"Well, maybe don't kick it all the way out" and "Some room (occasionally) for racism" weren't quite snappy enough as slogans.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
"Well, maybe don't kick it all the way out" and "Some room (occasionally) for racism" weren't quite snappy enough as slogans.

Well, quite. That's what I was thinking.

I have since edited my earlier post btw as I don't think Kick It Out is actually a UEFA initiative. Hardly surprising really, given their passive acceptance of this stuff.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[TWEET]1382339825555034114[/TWEET]

Err.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
10 game ban?

Most decent employers would rightly class racial abuse as gross misconduct and grounds for instant dismissal. Whilst UEFA aren't the employer they have powers than go far beyond a short ban.

Kick it out? Ha!

Absolutely. Bet he still gets paid whilst on his ban too.

Now if only he had put his hand over his mouth whilst uttering his filthy racist abuse he would never have got into this mess would he?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Would have done it it had been the length of ban he should have received. 12 months/a full season......

The ban is pathetically short.

There are plenty enough footballers in the world to replace him.

Sine die bans for racist abuse. Then I might believe that the football authorities are serious about eradicating racism and other forms of discrimination from the game.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Way to focus on the important bits here.

Racial insult (nasty words) v actual physical assault.

Not defending racism in any way shape or form, from the workplace to housing, from opportunities to policing. But a sense of perspective is needed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Not defending racism in any way shape or form, from the workplace to housing, from opportunities to policing. But a sense of perspective is needed.

I was referring to verbal assault but sure.

And the sense of perspective should be that this is f.cking disgusting from UEFA.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

The thing is, I can understand why on occasions physical violence happens in a sport like football. It's wrong obviously, but it's 22 highly-charged, highly competitive young men, often playing for big stakes in what is (still just about) a contact sport. More often than not the physical violence is as a result of a 'rush of blood to the head' and a momentary loss of control and self-discipline. Of course, when it happens it should be punished but I see it as a flash point rather than an indication of something more deep-lying.

Racist abuse, however, is indicative of an attitude and is far more incidious and toxic and nasty than a few flying fists after a late tackle. Where it is discovered it should be rooted out and eliminated from the game. A ten game ban suggests UEFA have done the very least they could do, rather than the most and indicates a distinct lack of moral courage and a preference for gestures and empty words rather than leadership and a belief in equality.

Shameful, but not surprsing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here