Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] RIP Threads

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Not interested? Scroll past. Not everyone needs to comment on everything. If you don't have anything nice to say, just keep schtum? Good advice for real life too, that.

This. All. Day. Long.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If the thread is about someone I have known about, and means something to me, I'll join in with a RIP from me too.

If it's somebody I've never heard of or somebody that meant nothing to me, like for instance a reality TV 'star' I'll just leave the thread alone. I might google the name out of curiosity, but won't add comments.

Can't see any problem with that, or with RIP threads in general.

(Spoof ones deserve a ban though - https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?387187-Tony-Hart-RIP )

This is because you’re seeing things through the eyes of a normal, rationale, cognitively balanced person!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I was going to try and time this post for a point when there did not appear to be a 'RIP Brian who played Triangle on Backstreet Boys cover of Dark side of the Moon' style thread on the board, as it might look as though I'm being disrespectful to the deceased or the OP, I'm not. However, as backs up the point of the thread, there appears to always be RIP threads on NSC. Whilst I mean to ill will to the deceased, should we not cut the numbers down a little? Could we not keep it to key names from the footballing world? or just major figures ? (yes, i know this is subjective but there has to be a line somewhere)

Cue the flaming...

No.

RIP threads are used as a kind of memoir and brings memories and good discussion. The front page has loads of space so, as they say, if it doesn't interest you or I we don't have to pop in.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Conversely, I'm not than keen when someone not popular dies and people wish upon them all that hell can offer in the afterlife.
There's only 1 person who can decide such a thing.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If the thread is about someone I have known about, and means something to me, I'll join in with a RIP from me too.

If it's somebody I've never heard of or somebody that meant nothing to me, like for instance a reality TV 'star' I'll just leave the thread alone. I might google the name out of curiosity, but won't add comments.

Can't see any problem with that, or with RIP threads in general.

(Spoof ones deserve a ban though - https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?387187-Tony-Hart-RIP )

This all the way! If it matters to you, dive in. If not, pass by on the other side.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
why not 1 dedicated obituary thread for all RIPS?

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Perhaps his son? He discovered the scheme, shipped his Dad to the feds, then committed suicide a short while later? No evidence he knew anything of the workings of the scheme and showed genuine remorse

RIP

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I did wonder whether people googled who had died today, as some have been a bit obscure.
Surprised no one has started a thread about which historical figure died on this day.
On that theme RIP Abraham Lincoln.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here