• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Another tough group today, so let’s get straight down to it:

4-3 vs. Dagenham & Redbridge 2010/11 League One

Monday 11th April 2011, Att: 7,619

Albion were promoted to The Championship with a dramatic 4-3 victory over Dagenham & Redbridge. Incidentally, this was also our last ever victory at Withdean and the last ever night game. It was also my last visit to Withdean as I missed the SCC and Huddersfield matches.

John Akinde had put the visitors in front after a minute before two goals in 60 seconds from Calderon & Murray had put us ahead. Straight after the break, the reverse occurred and the Daggers were back ahead. It looked like the party would be on hold, before a Bridcutt equalizer and Ashley Barnes header put us 4-3 ahead.

A topsy-turvey classic – from the BBC:

Taking Brighton up to the Championship is a personal triumph for the highly likeable Poyet, who is now celebrating his first promotion as either player or manager

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/12968187

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj0otIVOnbs

2-1 vs. Bristol City 2001/02 Division Two,

Monday 1st April 2002, Att: 6,759

What do you get when you mix a Former Dutch Marine, a scouse striker and a Mrs Wendy Toms. The answer is of course, iconic running track limbs.

Junior Lewis gave Albion the lead just before half time. With City chasing a play off space they poured forward, with Kuipers’ producing save after save. Tommy Doherty eventually equalized for the visitors.

With no Bobby, Albion needed a new hero, step forward Lee Steele, who, in the last minute, must have been about five yards offside before promptly nodding the ball home. Que absolute bedlam in the South Stand (the video below is a great watch – start at 10:28 if it doesn’t automatically)

The commentary from the time:

‘Brighton 1, Bristol City 1. It’s been hard work. Hart with the ball in. Downward header, GOAL! Brighton have done it, right at the end thanks to Lee Steele!’

The win put us within touching distance of our second Championship in as many years. A season defining game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MfdZs2A94U&t=628s

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/1898925.stm

Rocketman

Would it be Withdean without mentioning Rocketman?

Like all great superheroes, the identity of the Withdean Rocketman was never revealed. Neither was the location of the secret base from where he – or she – worked his magic.

The only thing we can say with certainty about Rocketman is that whenever a Brighton goal hit the back of the net, he – or she – would mark the moment by letting off a firework to explode high above the South Stand.

Rocketman must have let off at least 70 fireworks during his – or her – career. And yet the majority of Brighton fans at Withdean were sat in the South Stand with the fireworks going off behind them.

On occasions, Rocketman’s displays went awry. When Cardiff City came to Withdean in January 2002, the burning stick from his firework dropped to ground onto the running track.

Then there was the incident which occurred during the final home game of the 2002-03 season against Watford. The one which sadly forced Rocketman into retirement.

It dropped into Block E of the South Stand, setting a startled supporter on fire. Five days later and Rocketman wrote to The Argus to say that he – or she – would be hanging up their lighter for good.

“It is with considerable regret that I announce my decision to hang up my lighter,” the Withdean Rocketman said on Thursday 1st May 2003, a dark day in the history of Brighton & Hove Albion.

Credit for the above article goes to We Are Brighton - http://wearebrighton.com/albionfeatures/the-withdean-rocketman-a-cult-figure-in-brighton-history/

4-0 vs. Watford, 2002/03 Division One

Saturday 26th April 2003, Att: 6,841

As if by fate, the above nomination seamlessly transitions us into the final nomination for Group C. Albion had to win against Watford and hope Palace beat Stoke to send our relegation battle against The Potters to the final day.

The day saw Withdean at its best, glorious sunshine and a vintage Albion performance. Goals from Dean Blackwell and Paul Kitson before half time saw us in the ascendancy, before Bobby added a third and Charlie adding a fourth right at the end. A 4-0 thrashing, against a mid-table Watford side.

Palace indeed did do us a favour, a late Dele Adebola goal enough to give us hope going into the final game of the season away at Grimsby.

Brighton: Beasant, Watson, Cullip, Blackwell, Mayo, Kitson, Jones, Rodger, Ingimarsson, Zamora, Hart. Subs: Oatway, Pethick, Wilkinson, Packham, Barrett.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/2950721.stm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaziRJOiemY&t=22m5s

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Another tough category. Plumped for Rocketman/woman as he/she was totally unique to our twee little stadium. Just one of the delightful eccentricities we can all enjoy.

The Dagenham game was indeed epic because of the totally hatstand way in which we achieved the promotion. The Lee Steele goal against Bristol City is still discussed at great length by my Albion friends today. A delightful that was too.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Tough choice.

Rocketman for me.

Where else would you get somebody setting off a firework from the middle of a wood when the team score?

Loved the Lee Steel winner though - I was on the running track and he was yards offside.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Tough choice.

Rocketman for me.

Where else would you get somebody setting off a firework from the middle of a wood when the team score?

Loved the Lee Steel winner though - I was on the running track and he was yards offside.

Rocketman set the rocket off from his own back garden. He could see the pitch from his garden. It was in Dick Knight's book.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Despite the fabulous win over Brizzle City, with FDM's heroics and Lee Steele's late late offside winner, plus the enigma that was Rocketman celebrating every Albion goal, it just has to be the win over Dagenham & Redridge that claims my vote. Coming from behind not just once, but twice, to secure promotion.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Michel Kuipers, Former Dutch Marine (Chef).

I think that, like Scott McGleish (is a w....., is a w.....), every time the great Dutchman is named, it should be his full name.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There can only be one winner here. Which is a damn shame for Lee Steele. I was in that even-rickier-than-most wee stand in the corner when that one went it as if by slomo magic. Genuinely worried that my heart and/or vocal chords would burst. Says a huge amount about the madness that is Withdean tho, that Rocket Man is - or should be - the 'shoe in' here

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Bristol City match for me. I can still picture that Lee Steele goal, but what made it all the sweeter was the 1pm kick-off, so back into town and the Nelson packed out with Albion fans, where all the results seemed to go for us that afternoon so virtually guaranteeing us promotion. One of the best post-match occasions in town I can remember.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Dagenham.

I missed most games that season. My daughter was born in late 2010 and we already had a pre-schooler. My deal with the Mrs was to give most of that season a swerve and she'd be happy with me getting an Amex ST. So I missed quite a lot of games - right up until the point that [MENTION=1663]Scoffers[/MENTION] decided he couldn't get to night games and gave me a ticket for Dagenham and Redbridge. :)

Probably still kicking himself. All that work sat out in the cold and wet and I got the promotion game.

I cannot remember much of after the game but I can certainly remember the absolute WOE when I was ordered to do a bottle feed at 4.30am the next morning :sick:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Dagenham.

I missed most games that season. My daughter was born in late 2010 and we already had a pre-schooler. My deal with the Mrs was to give most of that season a swerve and she'd be happy with me getting an Amex ST. So I missed quite a lot of games - right up until the point that [MENTION=1663]Scoffers[/MENTION] decided he couldn't get to night games and gave me a ticket for Dagenham and Redbridge. :)

Probably still kicking himself. All that work sat out in the cold and wet and I got the promotion game.

I cannot remember much of after the game but I can certainly remember the absolute WOE when I was ordered to do a bottle feed at 4.30am the next morning :sick:

Working in London and not being able to get away from work in time to make home matches when you're a season ticket holder sucks, thankfully those days are behind me now that I work full time from home (long before Covid-19 hit!)

At least I can say that the ticket went to a good cause!!

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Dagenham known from that day onwards in our house as the Evil Green Dudes
Youngest s first game somewhat of a memorable evening for her
Started with the seats being double booked somehow
I think there were a lot of army invited in for that game

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Bristol City for me

Dagenham was great and everything but promotion was pretty much inevitable by that point

For City we were without Zamora (I think?) and they were battering us. Kuipers had a blinder

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Kuipers Supporters Club [B said:
Rocketman[/B]

Would it be Withdean without mentioning Rocketman?

Like all great superheroes, the identity of the Withdean Rocketman was never revealed. Neither was the location of the secret base from where he – or she – worked his magic.

The only thing we can say with certainty about Rocketman is that whenever a Brighton goal hit the back of the net, he – or she – would mark the moment by letting off a firework to explode high above the South Stand.

Rocketman must have let off at least 70 fireworks during his – or her – career. And yet the majority of Brighton fans at Withdean were sat in the South Stand with the fireworks going off behind them.

On occasions, Rocketman’s displays went awry. When Cardiff City came to Withdean in January 2002, the burning stick from his firework dropped to ground onto the running track.

Then there was the incident which occurred during the final home game of the 2002-03 season against Watford. The one which sadly forced Rocketman into retirement.

It dropped into Block E of the South Stand, setting a startled supporter on fire. Five days later and Rocketman wrote to The Argus to say that he – or she – would be hanging up their lighter for good.

“It is with considerable regret that I announce my decision to hang up my lighter,” the Withdean Rocketman said on Thursday 1st May 2003, a dark day in the history of Brighton & Hove Albion.

Credit for the above article goes to We Are Brighton - http://wearebrighton.com/albionfeatures/the-withdean-rocketman-a-cult-figure-in-brighton-history/

The Rocket fell at my feet during the Watford game and it was still on fire. I just stamped it out and all was good. I didn't realise that he retired from this until [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION] told me. No one caught fire though :) Think it was 2nd or 3rd goal that the rocket came over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here