Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Parking on the pavement

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I thought I'd put my experience of yesterday on here because the officials involved couldn't believe what was happening.
Trying to open my shop and a huge Luton van was parked across my shop front with about 3 metres to spare. All four wheels on the pavement. On my arrival I noticed a traffic warden moving on other workers vans parked a little further up the street. But here comes the legal bit. Vans parked on the pavement where double yellows are on the road, can get booked. The van in front of my shop was parked next to pedestrian crossing zig zag lines and can not get booked, and the clever driver knew this. He simply flicked his nose, told the warden the law, and walked away. I called for a supervisor who backed up the law stating it was a police matter, but that he wouldn't call the police. So I called the police 101 line. 90 minutes later the police arrive, with another warden, and they too couldn't believe the law but said it was treated in the same way as a speeding fine. In other words fines, court and points on license. It still took the police 20 minutes to get the van moved. But the crux of the story, as I pointed out to all involved, why do I pay so much to park in Brighton when I can park outside my shop and no warden can book me?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If it’s white zig zags I was under the impression that not only do you get a fine but you get points on your licence if the police issue the ticket?

I speak from experience as my wife got penalty points for parking (briefly) on white zig zag lines by a pedestrian crossing many years ago.

Has this changed now?

Maybe they were yellow zig zags with no sign?

https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/zig-zag-road-lines-markings.html

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
I thought I'd put my experience of yesterday on here because the officials involved couldn't believe what was happening.
Trying to open my shop and a huge Luton van was parked across my shop front with about 3 metres to spare. All four wheels on the pavement. On my arrival I noticed a traffic warden moving on other workers vans parked a little further up the street. But here comes the legal bit. Vans parked on the pavement where double yellows are on the road, can get booked. The van in front of my shop was parked next to pedestrian crossing zig zag lines and can not get booked, and the clever driver knew this. He simply flicked his nose, told the warden the law, and walked away. I called for a supervisor who backed up the law stating it was a police matter, but that he wouldn't call the police. So I called the police 101 line. 90 minutes later the police arrive, with another warden, and they too couldn't believe the law but said it was treated in the same way as a speeding fine. In other words fines, court and points on license. It still took the police 20 minutes to get the van moved. But the crux of the story, as I pointed out to all involved, why do I pay so much to park in Brighton when I can park outside my shop and no warden can book me?

Absolutely true, this is a "road traffic offence" and not a "parking offence" so is treated differently. I guess the police are too busy doing other things.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
spray the van with brake fluid. 5 minute job.

this is why everywhere is littered with bollards now, too many people seem content on being extremely lazy, selfish, a right royal pain in the arse and screw the majority.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Imagine how bad things would be if drivers actually had an overwhelming sense of entitlement, as well...

...oh.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It would be remiss not to say this probably wouldn't have happened if there was a segregated cycle lane.

While it definitely wouldn't have happened if the entire seafront was handed over to most tourists, walkers, cyclist, the disabled, elderly, youngsters, scooters, skateboarders, pogo stickers, extended shop fronts, outside cafes, dining etc.

While delivery drivers have limited access and are encourage to invest in a greener final mile.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It is indeed very selfish to park on the pavement.

After all, if everyone did that then where are cyclists supposed to go, FFS?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Imagine how bad things would be if drivers actually had an overwhelming sense of entitlement, as well...

...oh.

Okay, I'll bite.

This group 'drivers'. Which I presume is self-inclusive ???.

Your point is akin to saying a cyclists ignore traffic light signals when in fact it is only a small number proportionally who do so.

Why try to derail the fair points in this discussion with another cyclist/driver debate when that was not the issue?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
It is indeed very selfish to park on the pavement.

After all, if everyone did that then where are cyclists supposed to go, FFS?

How incredibly true. Only Monday I was happily strolling to the pub with my pal on my way to have my first cask beer in months so nothing could sour my mood.....or so I thought. Some prick on a bike rode up behind us and had the cheek to ring his bell as if we as pedestrians were in the wrong getting in his way.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
spray the van with brake fluid. 5 minute job.

this is why everywhere is littered with bollards now, too many people seem content on being extremely lazy, selfish, a right royal pain in the arse and screw the majority.

What's got in to you? yesterday you were advocating fighting a poor defenceless lady in a dispute over access to a back gate, now you are suggestiing daubing a nice van with corrosive liquid that has been mistakenly parked on the pavement.

What is going to be tomorrow's suggestion l wonder! :ban::ban:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Okay, I'll bite.

This group 'drivers'. Which I presume is self-inclusive ???.

Your point is akin to saying a cyclists ignore traffic light signals when in fact it is only a small number proportionally who do so.

Why try to derail the fair points in this discussion with another cyclist/driver debate when that was not the issue?

You are correct, that should have read 'us drivers', sadly I can't make that correction now.

I think you are, like so many others on here, playing the man and not the ball.

I'm not trying to make this a cyclist/driver debate.

The debate I'm always trying to have, granted from a cyclist perspective, is:-

We too reliant on single occupancy vehicles
An obscene amount of space is given over to these vehicles.
That space should be used for all.

One little subtext to this is the rage felt by the OP when cycle lanes were introduced on the sea front.
So vengeful in fact he repeatedly, and quite disgustingly, labelled a 'hi-vis' "brain dead", for refusing to bow to his will.

So you'll forgive me for now finding some glee in yesterdays predicament.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

...oh.

At least drivers don't actually drive on the pavement... :whistle:

Edit: I now see that Bry got there before me. Drat.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=4573]Green Cross Code Man[/MENTION] (it's going to be odd to write this to that user name) sadly I don't know Eastbourne that well, what with it being in Lesser Sussex, so I'm going to have to use neutral ground as the example.

Before the shite hit the fan, me and the kids were wandering through Duke Street towards West Street, on a lovely summers day, pushing our bikes having ridden the 20 miles along the seafront. (Over half that route was away from the road, none of that is joined up, all of it was shared with walkers, not a problem).

It's pedestrian, it was comparatively quiet and busy.
Then we hit West Street.
The pavement is narrow.
The pavement was overcrowded, now obviously not helped by us 3 pushing bikes.
The lights were red.
The clocktower traffic lights had well over 50 people waiting, therefore blocking anyone wanting to just walk left.

We all waited because this is perfectly normal.

I implore everyone at this point to look over their shoulder and count how many people had caused this perfectly normal situation.
Count how many people were causing a 'perfectly normal' obstruction of movement.
Measure how much space those people are taking up.
Look at how much space you have.

At that point, to me, (and my Twitter bubble) it no longer looks normal.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Forget cyclists & drivers, and think how pushchairs, buggies, wheelchairs and mobility chairs can get by, let alone the visually impaired, without having to walk in the road.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
[MENTION=4573]Green Cross Code Man[/MENTION] (it's going to be odd to write this to that user name) sadly I don't know Eastbourne that well, what with it being in Lesser Sussex, so I'm going to have to use neutral ground as the example.

Before the shite hit the fan, me and the kids were wandering through Duke Street towards West Street, on a lovely summers day, pushing our bikes having ridden the 20 miles along the seafront. (Over half that route was away from the road, none of that is joined up, all of it was shared with walkers, not a problem).

It's pedestrian, it was comparatively quiet and busy.
Then we hit West Street.
The pavement is narrow.
The pavement was overcrowded, not obviously now helped by us 3 pushing bikes.
The lights were red.
The clocktower traffic lights had well over 50 people waiting, therefore blocking anyone wanting to just walk left.

We all waited because this is perfectly normal.

I implore everyone at this point to look over their shoulder and count how many people had caused this perfectly normal situation.
Count how many people were causing a 'perfectly normal' obstruction of movement.
Measure how much space those people are taking up.
Look at how much space you have.

At that point, to me, (and my Twitter bubble) it no longer looks normal.

There are too many cars on the road and it is bad? That seems to be your point and I would generally agree. However that is nothing to do with the specific situation described in the OP which involves toothless laws.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
What's got in to you? yesterday you were advocating fighting a poor defenceless lady in a dispute over access to a back gate, now you are suggestiing daubing a nice van with corrosive liquid that has been mistakenly parked on the pavement.

What is going to be tomorrow's suggestion l wonder! :ban::ban:

Locking up pensioners with no sense of humour maybe. :whistle:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There are too many cars on the road and it is bad? That seems to be your point and I would generally agree. However that is nothing to do with the specific situation described in the OP which involves toothless laws.

12 months ago the OP was vociferously advocating for the provision of more cars on the road. (and pavement)

Laws, toothless or otherwise, wouldn't be needed if we, from government down, took the impact of motor vehicles seriously.

Tightening this odd parking law won't change anything.
Handing out tougher sentencing on those who kill in the their cars, won't stop the killing.

In less than 10 years there's going to be over 40,000,000 cars on the road.
On roads not fit for purpose.
Not fit for ALL.
With an awful and expensive public transport system
(My son will be driving next year, I intend to give him my car and buy myself another one)

Something has to give and changing this oddity law really isn't the answer.

I live in the middle of a 4 house terrace, as does my mate further up the same road.
The other day he was talking about the census saying:-

'For our 4 houses we have 13 motor vehicles, of which we have 1'.

It turns out my 4 house terrace, has 9, of which I have 1.

8 houses 22 motors, that really can't be right, can it?
Esp as both our sons will soon be driving putting that up to 24 motors.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here