Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Abundance of Caution

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Why has this phrase become a thing? I'm too old for my liking and can honestly say that until about 6 months ago I had never heard this phrase?

Today, Johnson and Johnson have withdrawn usage of their vaccine through an "abundance of caution"

Trump was sent (sectioned) with Covid to hospital with an "abundance of caution"

Boeing have grounded their Max737's out of an "abundance of caution"

So here I am "reaching out" to the great NSC to see if this now ubiquitous phrase "floats anyone's boat?". Irritates me.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I guess it’s lucky this attitude didn’t prevail in times gone by when pioneers were pushing the boundaries of what was possible.

“It’s one small step for man...but just to be on the safe side I’ve decided to give the moon walk a swerve.”

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Politicians are w ankers. You’ve just discovered more supporting evidence that’s all.

Stick in same file as ‘reduce down’ (chefs) and ‘reaching out’ (marketeers). Because every arse has its hole.

Why has this phrase become a thing? I'm too old for my liking and can honestly say that until about 6 months ago I had never heard this phrase?

Today, Johnson and Johnson have withdrawn usage of their vaccine through an "abundance of caution"

Trump was sent (sectioned) with Covid to hospital with an "abundance of caution"

Boeing have grounded their Max737's out of an "abundance of caution"

So here I am "reaching out" to the great NSC to see if this now ubiquitous phrase "floats anyone's boat?". Irritates me.

Sounds more impressive than "...to be on the safe side..."

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Looking at the Hansard Corpus, I found an abundance of examples. The first of which was back in 1856.

Screenshot 2021-04-14 8.25.11 AM.png

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Stick it in the same box as Staycation.

Staycation is a particular bugbear of mine.

If staycation means anything it surely means taking time off work but just staying at home, but recently people keep using it to mean a holiday where you don't travel abroad. No, that's still called a holiday.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Staycation is a particular bugbear of mine.

If staycation means anything it surely means taking time off work but just staying at home, but recently people keep using it to mean a holiday where you don't travel abroad. No, that's still called a holiday.

Agree. This one irritates me as well to the extent that I forwarded my irritation to a national newspaper!! Made me feel better, but got no reply....... :)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’m just preparing some of these bad boys now............oh please don’t.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here