[TV] Shameful Capitulation To Snowflake Social Media Angst

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I am hugely disappointed with this thread as I was hoping for a humorous take on the snow showers we have been experiencing recently.

This thread has lasted longer than the snow showers did, sadly. My daughter was certain she was going to go sledging yesterday!

:down:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I think you/we/society are working towards the logical conclusion that really the only people that could possibly write dialogue for these characters in the first place are people who are of the same ethnicity/gender/sexual orientation/religion/nationality. Every script by committee (which the Simpsons already is, but I bet they don't have all the right world views for all their characters - is even one of them a clown?)!

With the quite frankly abhorrent dreck the show serves up, I’d say the writing room is packed with absolute clowns.

:down:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I am hugely disappointed with this thread as I was hoping for a humorous take on the snow showers we have been experiencing recently.

But since I am here, why does someone keep banging on about Sharia Law? Is it some sort of online Tourette's or a NSC long running gag like "fixtures" or fish puns?

It's what will happen in the UK TOMORROW if we let THEM get UPPITY. It's already happening in LUTON. And just you try taking out a regular MORTGAGE in West Yorkshire, never mind WEARING a T-Shirt and SHORTS in East London.

:nono:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Because there's f*ck all he should be apologising for this side of Sharia Law or Thought Speak?

What has a rich white man realising that impersonating a Hindu Indian immigrant for laughs isn't the most progressive thing and apologising for it got to do with Sharia Law?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I still think the Simpsons is one of the best shows on TV. It gets more right than it gets wrong. Apu is one of my favourite characters and he generally comes out on top in any conflict with the other characters in the show. For a show that used to be owned by one of Murdochs companies it's remarkably subversive. It's tackled many of todays issues like gun control, homophobia and Islamophobia surprisingly well because it uses humour and that's always a good starting point.

I think its time has come. End it. Too many people potentially upset or offended. Especially if go over stuff made in 90s. Yes people will say that was the 90s. But if it’s offensive then it needs to be entirely taken off the air. It’s no different to the black and shite minstrel show. Offence can be found and indeed backdated. A new world order started some time ago, most people want to change the past for a better future so best remove all traces of (as has happened with statues etc) and not repeat mistakes of the past. Use of yellow characters has always been inflammatory too. Very racist and discriminatory. The producers should be prosecuted given still alive. They’ve enjoyed their riches from, now is the time to pay for all the decades of offence they’ve caused, which is of course priceless.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I tend to find anyone using the word snowflake outside of a metrological context can safely be ignored because they know they have lot the argument and have resorted to name calling.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I tend to find anyone using the word snowflake outside of a metrological context can safely be ignored because they know they have lot the argument and have resorted to name calling.

They also seem tremendously easy to offend and get outraged by things. It's very odd

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A15A43A1-162B-41AC-B03E-31D67CC81371.jpeg
Down with this sort of thing

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
400 words removed from Scrabble official list in case it offends!

Cannot comment on the Simpsons as I have never watched it.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Would Prince Philip (RIP) have got a letter from the Queen had he hit the big 100? Asking for a neighbour (end of terrace)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't think that is fair. It is a slippery slope we are all on at the moment regarding free speech. It is in danger of severe erosion due to populist campaigns by politically motivated groups.

I agree with the bit I highlighted, but nevertheless I think my comments were fair. This (the topic of the OP's post) hardly seems the right case to use as a stick to beat the war on free speech (if there is such a war).

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I am offended by ANY flesh and blood actor playing the role of a cartoon character. Cartoons should be played by cartoons people!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They also seem tremendously easy to offend and get outraged by things. It's very odd

Especially if you refer to them as a 'broflake' :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think most people share a dislike of racism. It's mostly those on the extreme edges of that argument who feel the need to bang on about things. I don't know the bloke who lives directly opposite me more than to say "hello" to when he's walking his dog in the park or we're in (or outside!) the local, but I'd say he wasn't racist based purely on the fact I've never heard him say anything to suggest he was. And that's how it mostly works.

But I put a "soft scale" deliberately in my post, somewhere between awkward and outright racist. Apu is "awkward" and the Minstrels, undoubtedly racist.

Is that the one that starts with "It was only bantz" and ends with "Political correctness gone mad"?

Or is the one that starts with feeling you're down with the kids and ends with a seething resentment about anything that is no longer what it used to be? ???

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I agree with the bit I highlighted, but nevertheless I think my comments were fair. This (the topic of the OP's post) hardly seems the right case to use as a stick to beat the war on free speech (if there is such a war).

I agree with you but I tend to conflate the two as it often seems the same 'lot' are whipping themselves into a frenzy. What we are allowed to do and what we are allowed to say, are inextricably linked.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

But since I am here, why does someone keep banging on about Sharia Law? Is it some sort of online Tourette's or a NSC long running gag like "fixtures" or fish puns?

I don't know, but can he play LB? :moo:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Snowflake :lolol:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

It is not a helpful term and should be consigned to the bin along with boomer and millenial. These terms attempt to put a blanket attribute onto all the given group and are often a deeply unfair stereotype.

Disclaimer: I support the right, however, of those that use them, to exercise free-speech and use the terms if that is what they want.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports