Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Annoying neighbour dispute

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A request for advice. I have done some research online and am pretty sure I am on the right path (ho ho) but would appreciate correction if I'm wrong.

I have an end terrace house in a small block of houses. My immediate neighbour has personal access round the back of my house for taking out the bins and letting her gardner in and out. We have put a gate up between the end of the terrace and the passage between my house and my other neighbour (whose house starts another block of terraced houses) to enclose our garden, give some privacy etc. We gave a key to our neighbour (although we don't normally lock the gate, merely bolt it....).

There have been grumbles (the neighbour claims that there should be wheelchair access, and that the gate would stop this - it doesn't). She also objected to the steepness of the incline from our new patio (built nearly 3 years ago along with the extension) to the side gate. This has passed but I did feel that it is my right to set up my house as I see fit - she can still get her bins out FFS. I bit my lip.

During Covid the neighbour has had visitors coming round the back of my house to sit in her garden. She asked about this and we said 'no problems'. She normally lets us know when visitors are due. On occasions she has not told us, and I have been greeted by some fool grinning through my patio door. I am happy to let it go during Covid.

Yesterday I was working in the garden for a bit. I saw the neighbour and said 'Hi'. She replied 'Oh there you are'....

To cut a long story short, the neighbour had txted Mrs T who was out shopping to ask Mrs T to unbolt the gate. She gave Mrs T 30 minutes notice to unbolt a gate she could have unbolted herself (the bolt's on the inside). Bottom line is the neighbour wants the gate unbolted at all times because it is 'a faff' for her to walk 15 yards to open it to let her friends in. I pointed out that it makes more sense to unbolt the gate herself and not expect us to do it for her. And then the row started...

I pointed out that after Covid is over her friends should go through her house (she has a front door) to get to her garden and that there is no 'public' access across the back of my house. It is for personal use for unavoidable need (taking out the bins). I mentioned strangers gawping into my house, arriving with no notice. I also pointed out that her gardener had covered my nice new gate with muddy hand marks and not cleaned up his mess.

I have looked up section 31 of he highway code, and looked at ordnance survey maps. There is no right of way here. There is also no grounds for 'access of easement'.

We have a meeting this afternoon to discuss the issue. My view is that she can open the gate herself if she has visitors, and that once covid is over she should not use the back of my house as a convenient way of letting friends into her garden. She has actually put a house number by the gate between my garden and hers!

Mrs T will do the 'negotiating' because my fuse is short, but once her blue touch paper is lit the explosion makes mine sound like a gerbil clearing its throat :lolol:. I'll report back later but any advice on the legal situation would be appreciated.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
A request for advice. I have done some research online and am pretty sure I am on the right path (ho ho) but would appreciate correction if I'm wrong.

I have an end terrace house in a small block of houses. My immediate neighbour has personal access round the back of my house for taking out the bins and letting her gardner in and out. We have put a gate up between the end of the terrace and the passage between my house and my other neighbour (whose house starts another block of terraced houses) to enclose our garden, give some privacy etc. We gave a key to our neighbour (although we don't normally lock the gate, merely bolt it....).

There have been grumbles (the neighbour claims that there should be wheelchair access, and that the gate would stop this - it doesn't). She also objected to the steepness of the incline from our new patio (built nearly 3 years ago along with the extension) to the side gate. This has passed but I did feel that it is my right to set up my house as I see fit - she can still get her bins out FFS. I bit my lip.

During Covid the neighbour has had visitors coming round the back of my house to sit in her garden. She asked about this and we said 'no problems'. She normally lets us know when visitors are due. On occasions she has not told us, and I have been greeted by some fool grinning through my patio door. I am happy to let it go during Covid.

Yesterday I was working in the garden for a bit. I saw the neighbour and said 'Hi'. She replied 'Oh there you are'....

To cut a long story short, the neighbour had txted Mrs T who was out shopping to ask Mrs T to unbolt the gate. She gave Mrs T 30 minutes notice to unbolt a gate she could have unbolted herself (the bolt's on the inside). Bottom line is the neighbour wants the gate unbolted at all times because it is 'a faff' for her to walk 15 yards to open it to let her friends in. I pointed out that it makes more sense to unbolt the gate herself and not expect us to do it for her. And then the row started...

I pointed out that after Covid is over her friends should go through her house (she has a front door) to get to her garden and that there is no 'public' access across the back of my house. It is for personal use for unavoidable need (taking out the bins). I mentioned strangers gawping into my house, arriving with no notice. I also pointed out that her gardener had covered my nice new gate with muddy hand marks and not cleaned up his mess.

I have looked up section 31 of he highway code, and looked at ordnance survey maps. There is no right of way here. There is also no grounds for 'access of easement'.

We have a meeting this afternoon to discuss the issue. My view is that she can open the gate herself if she has visitors, and that once covid is over she should not use the back of my house as a convenient way of letting friends into her garden. She has actually put a house number by the gate between my garden and hers!

Mrs T will do the 'negotiating' because my fuse is short, but once her blue touch paper is lit the explosion makes mine sound like a gerbil clearing its throat :lolol:. I'll report back later but any advice on the legal situation would be appreciated.

What do the deeds say? Do you own this path/entrance to the back, and are they allowed access through your land?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

Is that the plot synopsis to a 'lost' episode of One Foot in the Grave?

I found it pretty funny - you should go into script writing.

I bet you said, "I don't believe it!" at least once.

I say you release a hermit crab into her garden forthwith.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I believe that any agreed access rights should be shown in the house deeds. Do you have access to view these?

If you own a property you got access to the deeds. They'll be accessible online at Land Registry site. Tho if they're anything like mine will be deliberately written in some arcane ancient form of English that requires a highly paid professional to translate.Big surprise there then. On the face of it H, sounds like your are victim of Annoying Neighbour Entitlement Scope Creep and need to be drawing a line in the sand. Or in the chalk. Tho don't go drawing a line in the chalk with chalk. Because that would just be a waste of time to be honest :moo:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My advice:

1. Everybody needs good neighbours. Just a friendly wave each morning helps to make a better day.
2. You need to get to know each other. Next door is only a footstep away.
3. With a little understanding, you can find the perfect blend.
4. You should be there for one another. That's when good neighbours become good friends.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I reckon that HWT has pissed off said neighbour by playing 1980s Icelandic avant-garde rock at full volume and this is payback

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Take a baseball bat with you during the negotiations. The implied threat of violence will always win out.

Also paint your face blue...shout FREEEEEEEEDOMMMMM. As you go up to her

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
does the woman not have a front door? can her guests not walk through her house to frequent her garden? shit in her letterbox?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
My advice:

1. Everybody needs good neighbours. Just a friendly wave each morning helps to make a better day.
2. You need to get to know each other. Next door is only a footstep away.
3. With a little understanding, you can find the perfect blend.
4. You should be there for one another. That's when good neighbours become good friends.
#bring back Kylie

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here