• 2-2 vs. Burnley 2002/03 Division One

Votes: 8 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
The best Withdean Moment – Group B

A real group of death this, a serious case to be made for all of them. This will be much more competitive than the breeze that was Group A. Four games, from three different divisions to choose from. As ever, top two go through to the Last 16 …

3-1 vs. Reading 2001/02, Division Two

Monday 11th February 2002 Att: 6,756

Withdean was always at its best when it rained. The pitch was a gluepot in a memorable affair. Level at the break, Albion hit the gas and produced a fantastic second half display. Bobby grabbed two, before setting up Junior Lewis – what a player – on his debut to tap home. Reading were sent packing for the first defeat in 12 games. We would go on to win back2back titles, 6 points clear of Steve Coppells (and Ben Roberts’) Reading.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/1814378.stm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hx6tyChfSQ

1-0 vs. Cardiff City 2000/01 Division Three

Saturday 10th February 2001 Att: 6,922

I had convinced myself this was a year later, but having checked the programme notes, it was almost exactly a year prior to the above mentioned Reading game. Once again, it was of course, raining for a bumper crowd of nearly 7,000 watch us beat our near promotion rivals.

After a quarter of an hour, Bobby (who else) was set through on goal, with all the calm in the world, he slid the ball beyond ex-Albion keeper Mark Walton for a vital three points. Cardiff were dismissed to ten men late on in the contest. At the end of the season, we would finish ten points clear of Cardiff, who only finished second due to the financial irregularities of Chesterfield. (the goal is at 1:08 in the video below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMRL7m00WwM&t=68s

1-0 vs. Leeds United, 2004/05 , The Championship

Saturday 23rd October 2004 Att: 6,716

Three years prior to this fixture Leeds had been semi-finalists in the Champions League. On this day – by now you can guess the weather – they slumped to a 1-0 defeat at the hands of The Albion, ending the game with nine men.

The programme said:

‘Now this may sound like gloating, but of course, we wouldn't dream of such a thing. All the same, when a small club, it's team packed with youngsters and free transfer signings to extend that only one member of the team cost a fee (and that was Charlie Oatway, not a bad 10 grands worth) beats one of English football's megaclubs, it has to be celebrated

Miserable for them, but wonderful for us. Albion wanted the points more and played better, giving us one of the best ever within afternoons. Thanks lads coming up some more? '

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/3748968.stm

2-2 vs. Burnley 2003/03 Division One

Saturday 28th December 2002, Att: 6,502

Probably one of my ‘favourite running track limbs’ . A baby faced Steve Sidwell scored a dramatic late brace to earn us a point against Burnley. With the game seemingly ticking down and two goals in arrears, a lot of the crowd were headed for the exits. Step up Sidwell, who first lashed in a fierce shot, before bundling home from a Zamora cross a minute later.

“Steven Sidwell threw relegation-haunted Brighton an amazing lifeline against Burnley at the Withdean Stadium. The visitors seemed to be cruising to a comfortable 2-0 victory when up stepped Sidwell to score goals in the 88th and 89th minutes.”

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/2596933.stm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaziRJOiemY

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
The Reading game was just sublime. A total dismantling of a promotion rival it was a thing of beauty

We absolutely stuck it to them that night. What a fantastic peice of footballing karma after they tried to unsettle Junior Lewis by claiming they were going to sign him.

Also after we won the league, Sally Taylor on South Today claimed that most people thought Reading were a better side than Brighton, that result made her comments look like the ramblings of a jealous weak minded fool.

I remember earlier that year when Brentford were a bit closer to us, there was a Reading fan at work who confidently told me that we would fall away and that Reading would win the league with Brentford finishing 2nd. He was nowhere to be seen after that defeat. That early season smugness is a trait I've come to associate with Reading fans in general.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I nominated the Reading one so that's deffo my choice
Bobby Z didn't score two though: the scorers were Zamora, Melton and Lewis

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
The Cardiff one for me. Mostly because it was the first NSC sponsored game but also a great result in what seemed like a grudge match.
Whatever happened to Taffy?

Bracknell_Gull

Jul 4, 2011
Bracknell
Seeing as I absolutely loathe Reading, and being from a town close enough to be surrounded by their plastic fans during these years, there's only one winner for me here....

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The Cardiff one for me mostly because it was the first NSC sponsored game.

The fact that NSC sposored the Cardiff game had no input on my decision making! I'm much more concerned about the quality of the performance, how good the goals were, and the influence the result had on our season.

A very difficult choice this one, but l've narrowly voted for the victory against tin pot Reading, a fantastic all round team performance, against in all honesty top class opposition, Steve Coppell really was a master technician. That result instilled so much confidence, and really did help determine how our season was going to end up.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Burnley game was very memorable. 2-0 down with two minutes to go, and Sidwell produced two goals out of nowhere to get a point. It felt like a victory.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
The fact that NSC sposored the Cardiff game had no input on my decision making! I'm much more concerned about the quality of the performance, how good the goals were, and the influence the result had on our season.

Good for you 👍
All about personal choice isn't it?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The Cardiff one for me. Mostly because it was the first NSC sponsored game but also a great result in what seemed like a grudge match.
Whatever happened to Taffy?

Well, he didn't come for a poxy point, that's for sure.

Keith Patel

**** off Lino.
Apr 4, 2009
Brighton
3-1 vs. Reading 2001/02, Division Two

Monday 11th February 2002 Att: 6,756

Withdean was always at its best when it rained. The pitch was a gluepot in a memorable affair. Level at the break, Albion hit the gas and produced a fantastic second half display. Bobby grabbed two, before setting up Junior Lewis – what a player – on his debut to tap home. Reading were sent packing for the first defeat in 12 games. We would go on to win back2back titles, 6 points clear of Steve Coppells (and Ben Roberts’) Reading.

A very difficult choice this one, but l've narrowly voted for the victory against tin pot Reading, a fantastic all round team performance, against in all honesty top class opposition, Steve Coppell really was a master technician. That result instilled so much confidence, and really did help determine how our season was going to end up.

Wasn't Alan Pardew the Reading Manager?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here