Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Defensive coaching

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
This raises an interesting point for me. For all the money needed to improve the squad to get more wins next season would some of it be better spent improving the atmosphere at the Amex? This last season does if nothing else demonstrate the value of home support to clubs and the importance of vocal support at home...

I'd suggest free beer Tony :drink::drink::drink:
I'm sure the approved Corporate tier in the North Stand will help.

Oh.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I think that was Dunk's fifth yellow card. It may just be perception, but I'm sure in the previous Prem seasons he's been tiptoeing along trying not to get his tenth an a ban around this time of year. Not sure if that tells us that he is maturing, has better players around him or that my memory is skewed. I suspect it's the first two.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
100% agree. It frustrates me that we have, or have had, Burn, March, Webster and Lamptey all missing and a complete makeshift back line for a number of games now yet no commentators give this any mention let alone credit us for our excellent defensive displays. Last night was all about Everton’s missing players .......even with some of our miserable supporters.
To be fair Tyler did mention about us missing the natural width of Lamptey and March at least once last night, but you're right it was a complete afterthought compared with how often they mentioned Everton's injury woes.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good thread. The other thing that really strikes me is how quick we are to get into defensive shape when we lose possession up the field - the whole team is so well drilled, and willing to run. Several times last night Welbeck and Maupay were very quick to get back and involved in defensive work (often allowing others to get into position)

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Yep, agree with the sentiment of this thread. Must be a strikers coach out there we can sign up.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Good thread. The other thing that really strikes me is how quick we are to get into defensive shape when we lose possession up the field - the whole team is so well drilled, and willing to run. Several times last night Welbeck and Maupay were very quick to get back and involved in defensive work (often allowing others to get into position)
Its brilliant isnt it. Love seeing that sprintinh back and also how consistently we track runners. We are very switched on.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Maupay gets judged on his goals, which as a striker he should. But his overall teamwork, running, closing down and general 'get in your face' defensive work from the front is second to none. Highly underrated how much that helps the team by not letting the oppo settle and pick passes etc...

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Very nice yesterday. Highlight was Dunk sprinting back on about 80-odd mins at 2-0 up to ensure we werent undone from a goal kick.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Dunk seems to be finding it very easy at the moment. Composed, confident and classy.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I keep reading stuff like this (you are certainly not the only one) and then look at the table and the only 2 teams in the bottom half to have scored more than us are villa and soton. It would seem to me the margins are the draws. I also think if Sanchez had been in goal all season then we would be higher up the table. Not because he is a better shot stopper than Matty but because he commands his box and allows the defenders to concentrate on other things.

Look. You win if you score more than the opponent. This means defending is important, but so is forward play. We are very good at the former, and astronomically poor at the latter. Why can’t people on here accept this fact!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Good point well made.

I hadn't realised that about goals scored but it seems that there have been loads of games where just one of 20 chances taken would have given us 2 more points.

Which is why it really isn’t a good point

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Which is why it really isn’t a good point

Good point well made!

Do you get out much ?

Or just scroll through NSC looking for trivial comments to make?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Good point well made!

Do you get out much ?

Or just scroll through NSC looking for trivial comments to make?

Does anyone get out much!? Only the Covidiots. Are you one of them?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Does anyone get out much!? Only the Covidiots. Are you one of them?

Different countries differentl rules. Doesn't explain your behaviour though ???

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Different countries differentl rules. Doesn't explain your behaviour though ???

My behaviour? Or my opinion? I am as entitled to express it as you are, whether you like it or not

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Never argue with idiots.
They just drag you down to their level.
At which they have far more experience.

Incredible arrogance

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here