Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Striker

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Our owner is a billionaire, so we have funds. Whether he will stump them up is another question.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The million dollar question . . .or £30m+

It's patently clear Maupay isn't the answer but no one else seems to be fit or better . . .so do we change the way we attack or have a clear out and rebuild.

Zeqiri shows the most promise of the new kids to my eyes.

Maybe if Someone can get the machine from 'Fly' we can Morph Connolly and Maupay together into a PL striker and put the leftovers out for the seagulls.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
If we can find a way to just have Maupay as an out and out poacher, I think he will score more. He can't pass and is too selfish to drop deep, so play to his strengths and just have him in the box. Problem is it will weaken other parts of the pitch.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
everything a risk but if we are in the 20 - 30m window then we can lessen the risks by getting someone who is proven in La Liga , Serie A , Bundesliga and to a lesser extent the French league.

Problem is that those players are likely to be 40m + and bigger clubs paying better wages will always hold the aces.

Which then brings us back to whether we want to punt 15-20 ish mil on the beligian , swiss and dutch leagues where there is so much dead wood its hard to really know.

Or do you go for the championship 20m route where again its a mine field.

Maupay chips in with 10 ish which is a good return but we need another with 10 + and how are we going to get more goals from CM. Caceido ? Moder ?

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Odsonne Edouard. Would be a cracking signing.

Frankly it’s hard to imagine many top end championship strikers would score less from open play than Maupay given the number of chances we create. So:

- If Norwich implode get Pukki
- If Newcastle go down try and get Wilson
- If Burnley go down get Wood
- If Southampton go down (unlikely) get Adams, we won’t get Ings.
- If all the above fail go for Armstrong or Toney.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Our owner is a billionaire, so we have funds. Whether he will stump them up is another question.

Richarlison transferred to Everton on 24 July 2018 for a transfer fee starting at £35 million and potentially rising to £50 million.
He salary is apparently £5 million p/a.

Looked rubbish last night!

£30 million doesn't ensure a goal scorer as GP often points out.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I just posted on another thread, but I think we should see if we can get Rhian Brewster on the cheap. With Sheff Utd getting relegated they maybe willing to take a hit on what they paid to shift his wages. If we could get him for 15 to 18 million I think that would be good value. I appreciate he hasn't score for Sheff Utd, but they are awful and don't create chances. We do create chnces but can't put them away. And I dont think you become a bad player overnight. If he came into an environment that nurtures young players, his confidence would hopefully improve. I think he'd be a decent option.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Barber's Harty interview would certainly suggest he is going to stump up. If the challenging for Europe in 5 seasons is serious he will have to stump up - to keep Biss and get in a goalscorer.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Richarlison transferred to Everton on 24 July 2018 for a transfer fee starting at £35 million and potentially rising to £50 million.
He salary is apparently £5 million p/a.

Looked rubbish last night!

£30 million doesn't ensure a goal scorer as GP often points out.

Yes, we dealt with Richarlison very well, and he didn't have much of an effect on the game.

But he cannot be used as an example of a transfer failing - he is generally very dangerous, and has been brilliant against us on other occasions.

Your general point - I agree. However, if Toney is available for £30m, I think he'd be worth it.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Depends if because of covid losses he see's this as another transfer window where we need to look at cheap options. If so, then Andone could be the striker. I think we'll try our best to permanently move on players like Duffy, Jahanbaksh, Locadia, Ryan, and Propper in order to balance the books of an incoming striker.

Next season hopefully our defence will be improved by having March and Lamptey fit for the full season, and Karbownik getting involved. Moder & Caicedo will be more involved. To see us really kick on i'd like to see this new striker coming in, and an upgrade on Ali J.

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Whoever we go for it'll be a punt. Strikers of pedigree simply won't come to us no matter how much (realistic) money is on offer.

So it'll most likely be an under the radar 'talent' who most of us would never have heard of from just about anywhere else in the world

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The only players worth discussing are the ones we could have singed 1, 2, or 3 years ago but didn't and who are now doing well elsewhere, so that we can criticise the club for being (i) stupid and (ii) tight. These are the rules for striker transfer talk.

mashman156

Aug 7, 2009
Southampton
Fact is I don't even think they need to be that good an all round player! Just need to know where the back of the net is and be able to finish first time or take one touch to set themselves quickly.

Maupay would be great if he always had time to take 2 touches. Just seems to need to much time that he got in the Championship but doesn't get in the Prem.

I'm not well enough versed in the continental top leagues but there has to be a player out there that we fancy for this.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Our problem is we have loads of secondary strikers who would work well feeding off a target man (Maupay, Welbeck, Connolly all fall into this category, and you could probably throw Trossard, Jahanbakhsh and MacAllister in there as well). What we need is a PL quality version of Glenn Murray (from a few years ago). Our options on this are actually rather limited. Pukki and Wood are the only two I can think of who could be available in the right circumstances (but which are unlikely). Giroud obviously comes up repeatedly but I really don't see it. Ironically a non-shit Benteke would be ideal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here