Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who is going down with Sheffield Utd?

Who is going down with Sheff Utd?

• WBA

Votes: 232 81.7%
  • Fulham

Votes: 255 89.8%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 27 9.5%
  • Burnley

Votes: 13 4.6%
  • BHA

Votes: 13 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I thought West Brom were on their way until they picked up 6 points in a week and scored 8 goals......Crazy !
I don’t know now , as long as it is not us I don’t care

Got to be Fulham and West Brom, surely. Fulham look way too short of goals and too flakey, and still a long way short of safety for West Brom with a lot of tough games to come. Too little too late for them, I'm sure.

Hope I'm not left eating my words come the end of the season, though!

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Still think Newcastle will get caught by Fulham , the last day game between the two will decide it .

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Much too early to say. Of course some have got a head start with a points advantage and others are favourites. Favourites do not always win though and with 3 points for a win there is much to play for.

Just say it comes to the last game of the season and Newcastle are safe. What chance of 3 points for Fulham ? We need Newcastle to say in trouble !!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Slightly off topic but just took a moment to review how the clubs that were relegated are doing now. Norwich and Watford seem to have the automatic places more or less nailed on and Bournemouth are in the playoff places.

I often see the remark on here that we simply mustn’t go down, as though this will be some form of apocalypse for the club that we will never recover from. This season suggests otherwise. While there are many clubs that have fallen out of the PL and keep on falling, we are a well run club with long-term planning hardwired into the setup. I don’t think we’ll go down but if we did, it’s also unlikely to be a complete catastrophe. It would be a significant bump in the road but nothing Uncle Tony won’t have already considered.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
After week 31 in season 19/20 , the 18th placed club Bournemouth had 27 points. We had 33, in 15th same as now. Incidentally Aston Villa were 19th on 27 but survived. I have a feeling now that WBA might do the same.

I think the difference is that West Brom only have 24 points (ie, three fewer than Villa had), plus - last season the team in 17th had 27 points, whereas this season they have 32. Those two factors taken together mean that logically the target for West Brom is 8 points more than it was for Villa at the same stage last season.

Another way to look at things: It seems likely that the teams in 17th, 16th and 15th (Newcastle, Burnley and us) will eke out at least three or four more points each....meaning that it's highly likely that West Brom would need to get at least 36 points (possibly 37, given their appalling GD) to stay up. That's 13 or 14 points from their last 7 games. Seems unlikely.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Slightly off topic but just took a moment to review how the clubs that were relegated are doing now. Norwich and Watford seem to have the automatic places more or less nailed on and Bournemouth are in the playoff places.

There have only been 16 occasions where the relegated clubs has come straight back up (eleven clubs have managed it, five of them twice) so it's not a shoo-in.

Having said that, I think we'd be better placed than most: we should be able to keep most of our team together and get good money for the ones we'd sell

But I don't think we'll be relegated

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
I think the difference is that West Brom only have 24 points (ie, three fewer than Villa had), plus - last season the team in 17th had 27 points, whereas this season they have 32. Those two factors taken together mean that logically the target for West Brom is 8 points more than it was for Villa at the same stage last season.

Another way to look at things: It seems likely that the teams in 17th, 16th and 15th (Newcastle, Burnley and us) will eke out at least three or four more points each....meaning that it's highly likely that West Brom would need to get at least 36 points (possibly 37, given their appalling GD) to stay up. That's 13 or 14 points from their last 7 games. Seems unlikely.

I reckon we'll (NUFC) get somewhere between 4 and 8 points. That should be enough, but we never should have been in this situation in the first place. I look at the West Ham and Arsenal games for possibly snatching a draw, but we should beat Sheffield and Fulham on the final 2 games. If it's a straight shoot out between us and Fulham on the final day, we can start planning for the away trip to Bristol next season.

As for you and Burnley, well you've a decent run of 3 games after Chelsea which could go a long way to securing your survival. If it's not sewn up by then, it's a tricky last 3 games you have.
Burnley's run in is arguably the easiest, and they're arguably the team best set-up to bloody the noses of the big boys.

Gut feel? I think our win against Burnley has given us enough of a cushion, and the bottom 3 too big of a hill to climb.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
There have only been 16 occasions where the relegated clubs has come straight back up (eleven clubs have managed it, five of them twice) so it's not a shoo-in.

Having said that, I think we'd be better placed than most: we should be able to keep most of our team together and get good money for the ones we'd sell

But I don't think we'll be relegated

One of the 5 :rave:

I think the most impressive thing about your club is the joined up thinking and long term planning. If the unlikely thing happens and you do go down, you'll not panic and sack Potter, or bankrupt the club to get back up. If you did go down, I'd be very surprised if you didn't come straight back up, and I'd say you'd return a stronger outfit.

Mind, if you go down and fire Potter, I heartily recommend paying us off for Steve Bruce. All the pundits think he's a great bloke, and some of the lazy players like him too.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Isn’t this far more exciting than being mid table and safe. :whistle:

2010/11 - Promotion Battle - We're F'ing Brilliant!
2011/12 - 10th - Move into Championship and into Amex.
2012/13 - Promotion Battle - Play off heartbreak 1 Bye Gus
2013/14 - Promotion Battle - Play off heartbreak 2 Bye Oscar
2014/15 - Relegation Battle - Bye Sami, Can't score, saved by Chris's draws.
2015/16 - Promotion Battle - Automatic heartbreak then play off heartbreak.
2016/17 - Promotion Battle - We're on our way!
2017/18 - Relegation Battle - Gross! It's crossed the line! PAARTY!
2018/19 - Relegation Battle - Can't score, saved again by Chris's draws and six points from Palace. Bye Chris.
2019/20 - Relegation Battle - Looking promising, but still struggling.
2020/21 - Relegation Battle - Looking very very promising - Still struggling.

It's been thrilling, but my word it's been exhausting. Would anyone else be quite happy with a season of nothingness, whilst being mid table and safe?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
2018/19 - Relegation Battle - Can't score, saved again by Chris's draws and six points from Palace. Bye Chris.

It's been thrilling, but my word it's been exhausting. Would anyone else be quite happy with a season of nothingness, whilst being mid table and safe?

That’s why my hairs going grey. :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I have no idea what mid table and safe even means, it doesn’t sound very thrilling though :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here