Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 33 after 31

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Brian Owen in the Argus wrote a good piece after Man Utd that uses this points data in previous seasons to discuss whether Albion are making progress under Potter. He argues they are...
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/19214090.key-albion-comparison-eye-long-term-top-ten-goal/

"The 30th game (in 2018/19) was a defeat at home to Southampton.

"Looking back at the team (v Southampton in 2019) now, there was not much Prem potential in that XI.
There were several players who, with hindsight, might have reached their ceiling.
Not bad players. In many cases, players who have a massive place in the club’s recent history and folklore.
But, still, players who, through their age and career trajectory, had reached their best.
Two years on, it is hard to say, for example, Shane Duffy or Martin Montoya or Glenn Murray or Dale Stephens or Bernardo or Anthony Knockaert have gone on to better things.
Maty Ryan might do so but it has not happened yet and he will have taken an unusual route.
Of the side which led and lost at Old Trafford, Pascal Gross, Joel Veltman, Adam Lallana and Danny Welbeck have peaked.
They maintain a high level but are close to their own personal ceilings.
As for Robert Sanchez, Yves Bissouma, Ben White, Jakub Moder, Leandro Trossard and Neal Maupay, there is surely so much more to come.
That goes for others who were not in the XI such as injured Tariq Lamptey or maybe Adam Webster. Further down the line, there will be Michal Karbownik or Moises Caicedo or one or two of those out on loan at the moment."

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The defensive stats are quite a revelation when put like that.

It does look like a 15 goals a season man might have got us a few more wins and we would be sitting in the top 10 but that role is the hardest to fill personally feel more should come from the midfield.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Brian Owen in the Argus wrote a good piece after Man Utd that uses this points data in previous seasons to discuss whether Albion are making progress under Potter. He argues they are...
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/19214090.key-albion-comparison-eye-long-term-top-ten-goal/

"Looking back at the team (v Southampton in 2019) now, there was not much Prem potential in that XI.
There were several players who, with hindsight, might have reached their ceiling.
Not bad players. In many cases, players who have a massive place in the club’s recent history and folklore.
But, still, players who, through their age and career trajectory, had reached their best.
Two years on, it is hard to say, for example, Shane Duffy or Martin Montoya or Glenn Murray or Dale Stephens or Bernardo or Anthony Knockaert have gone on to better things.
Maty Ryan might do so but it has not happened yet and he will have taken an unusual route.
Of the side which led and lost at Old Trafford, Pascal Gross, Joel Veltman, Adam Lallana and Danny Welbeck have peaked.
As for Robert Sanchez, Yves Bissouma, Ben White, Jakub Moder, Leandro Trossard and Neal Maupay, there is surely so much more to come.
That goes for others who were not in the XI such as injured Tariq Lamptey or maybe Adam Webster. Further down the line, there will be Michal Karbownik or Moises Caicedo or one or two of those out on loan at the moment."

I appreciate what he i trying to say but in that article he is slightly dismissive of players 'at their peak' this is not an issue surely if that peak is a high level and they stay at their peak. I

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Really making that 15th position (after 31 games) our own, too (apart from the odd one out season!) :lolol:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I appreciate what he i trying to say but in that article he is slightly dismissive of players 'at their peak' this is not an issue surely if that peak is a high level and they stay at their peak. I

I'm not sure he says it is an issue - he's just making a case for comparing the potential of the squad under Potter today and under Hughton in 2018/19 and whilst Lallana, Welbeck, Veltman and players probably at their peaks were the backbone of the side then - now the side is mostly young players with presumably a lot more to come. (Bissouma, White, Webster, Maupay, Trossard, Lamptey, Moder, Sanchez) and with other players there or thereabouts that Potter has improved (March, Burn) .

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
One thing that surprises me and yes stating the obvious but with out the figures in front of me I would never have guessed it. Based on Chris's defensively minded set up. I would never have guessed this would be the lowest season for goals against.

I believe GP is more attack minded. (Yes I know others will disagree) So pleasantly surprised by this. And we have actually scored more in the last two seasons. Not by much mind......

I take that small positive.

The difference from the Hughton season is Mr Glenn Murray. Despite the fact he'd lose to Captain Tom Moore in a running trace he was still deadly in front of goal. A 30 year old muzza in this team would've been in double figures before Christmas and we'd be comfortably top 10.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The difference from the Hughton season is Mr Glenn Murray. Despite the fact he'd lose to Captain Tom Moore in a running trace he was still deadly in front of goal. A 30 year old muzza in this team would've been in double figures before Christmas and we'd be comfortably top 10.

Well yes, if GP were to play him of course, as you say yourself Glenn has never been known for his pace or movement, so l'm not so sure the present head coach would include him in his team on a regular basis.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Yes, that's a very good summary. There are plenty of others that could be added to the list of "so much more to come" too: Alzate, Connolly, Zeqiri, certainly and no doubt others currently out on loan (Ostigard?, Clarke?, Longman?, Richards?) and in the DS (Jenks, certainly).

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
We are light years ahead of where we have been in previous years. Our squad is younger, full of emerging talent, we have decent quality cover in most positions. I'd wager all bar two of our regular starters Welbeck and Lallana will improve next season for the experience this year. We have good competition on most fronts and U23 and Youth teams emerging as very competitive in their respective leagues. We have a very professional and talented recruitment team that seem to be improving year on year.

Next stage will be presumably to start selling one or two standout performers per year while reinvesting the funds to improve the group and wages on offer.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We are light years ahead of where we have been in previous years. Our squad is younger, full of emerging talent, we have decent quality cover in most positions. I'd wager all bar two of our regular starters Welbeck and Lallana will improve next season for the experience this year. We have good competition on most fronts and U23 and Youth teams emerging as very competitive in their respective leagues. We have a very professional and talented recruitment team that seem to be improving year on year.

Next stage will be presumably to start selling one or two standout performers per year while reinvesting the funds to improve the group and wages on offer.

Whilst I don't disagree, if we are 15th or 16th on 33 points from 31 games next season and Bozza posts the same tables with an additional year, will you type the same thing again?

Progress needs to be in results next season or it's all for nought.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Whilst I don't disagree, if we are 15th or 16th on 33 points from 31 games next season and Bozza posts the same tables with an additional year, will you type the same thing again?

Progress needs to be in results next season or it's all for nought.

It's relative in so far as if we sold say £100m worth of players, were in the process of bedding down half of europe's elite youth signed with the proceeds and had the same points as this season then yes I probably would? :lolol:

I do take your point of course, ultimately the only arbiter is points and position in the table but this process is unlikely to be linear even if its ultimately successful. We will sell good players to hopefully fund improvements to the group but not everyone we sign will be better or even good enough that's impossible but if we get more right than wrong then you'd hope that our league position would reflect that as time goes by?

All kinds can go wrong here obviously? But surely this offers the best chance of us punching above our weight in this league, in fact I'd suggest its our only chance...

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

Agree 100% with all of this .

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

[emoji106]

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's relative in so far as if we sold say £100m worth of players, were in the process of bedding down half of europe's elite youth signed with the proceeds and had the same points as this season then yes I probably would? :lolol:

I do take your point of course, ultimately the only arbiter is points and position in the table but this process is unlikely to be linear even if its ultimately successful. We will sell good players to hopefully fund improvements to the group but not everyone we sign will be better or even good enough that's impossible but if we get more right than wrong then you'd hope that our league position would reflect that as time goes by?

All kinds can go wrong here obviously? But surely this offers the best chance of us punching above our weight in this league, in fact I'd suggest its our only chance...

Results progress is not guaranteed to be linear but it is always relative. We have a far better squad than we've had before in the EPL and yet those tables in the OP are remarkably similar. Doing things "differently" or "The Brighton way" should eventually lead some kind of progress relative to our rivals or what's the point?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Two excellent posts on this page :thumbsup:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Where do I sign up for that? +5 is closer, I reckon.

Sheff, Dirty and Wolves are all winnable, we have a good record against WH and the Arse are inconsistent. The only ones that we'll definitely lose are Chelsea and Citeh. But I reckon we'll win at least two more and draw at least two

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here