Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ali J with 5 to go

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It’s time for my beauty sleep now. Great point to take us up to 15th.

Onwards and upwards!

Night night xx

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Perhaps you are forgetting a certain bicycle kick that he scored when he was substituted against Chelsea. But he was subbed on with 20 minutes to go then. Harder to do with 3 minutes.
Tommy Fraser once scored with an equally top quality overhead kick. I never expected him to ever do it again either.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
How many swallows do you want in 3 minute of playing time?

My wife used to say that, before we had kids.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I find Potter's fixation with AJ utterly bizarre. A player who's scored two premier league goals and, possibly even fewer assists!

Zequiri looks more like scoring than AJ and I would have thrown him on but would have done it with at least 15 minutes to go.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think the point is not just who comes on - and let's be honest here, Ali J and BDB would not have been most peoples choice from the options available - but more why GP leaves it so late to make the changes.

This was an Everton side missing loads of first choice players and with nothing on the bench. We should have pushed for the win but Potter seems more obsessed with keeping one point which, given how many late goals we have conceded, is not the best plan. His substitutions make his CH's look positively adventurous.

Should have gone for it like we did against Palace?

Oh....

:facepalm:

Everton looked like they were there for the taking because we outplayed them. They had players out, we had players out. Well done us.

We are not Man City. FFS.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
It's unfair to keep slinging Ali J on with a few mins to play. He's got a decent shot and energy. If Potter decides to put him on it should at least be for 10/15 mins.

Yes this is my thinking too.
If potter is making an error it's not bringing him on sooner.
If he feels he is good enough for the last five minutes then surely he is good enough for the last 15 or even 20.
Give the lad a chance to actually have an impact,what's he supposed to do in 5 minutes?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We are playing a team who have ideas about playing in Europe, managed by a man who has 5-6 or the biggest clubs in Europe on his CV and some are complaining Potter didn’t go for the win in the last 15 minutes.

The fact we are thinking this, and it isn’t viewed as suicidal, is testament to the belief and confidence we now have in Potter.

A well earned point, we have moved up a league position and are now virtually safe for a record breaking 5 term in the top flight.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Perhaps you are forgetting a certain bicycle kick that he scored when he was substituted against Chelsea.

One of the best Brighton goals I've ever seen live was scored by Jiri Skalak. I don't want him in our current squad either.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
One of the best Brighton goals I've ever seen live was scored by Jiri Skalak. I don't want him in our current squad either.

Another player who was a bit underrated during his time with us. One of the best crossers of a ball we've ever had at the Albion.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Another player who was a bit underrated during his time with us. One of the best crossers of a ball we've ever had at the Albion.

I was one of the few at the time who actually loved Jiri. I was more using him as an example of saying that just because someone scores a worldie once that doesn't make it a barometer of wider success.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
It's probably already been said (not read all 6 pages) but can he not hit dead balls? I was hoping he was going to have a crack at the free-kick at the end.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It was obvious we weren't going to score, nothing wrong with throwing on fresh legs to help see the draw out. And yes, I think Ali is as useless as you do.

I agree, but surely a sub needs more than 5 minutes to make an impact.

Most subs come on around 60-70 minutes unless it's a time wasting 90+1 yet AJ comes on regularly in the last 5 minutes.

Not sure why Izzy even bothers getting changed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here