Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Over 36 and not been vaccinated yet? [Aged 36 and over - see post 193]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I would live a poll added to this to understand how hard people were hit. It feels like far more than 1 in 10 getting symptoms.

So would it be possible to add moderna, Pfizer, AZ with an option for “no symptoms” “mild symptoms” “felt awful” or something like that. Among my mates of the same age (early 40s). Only two out of about ten who had AZ didn’t get any symptoms and most were wiped for a day or so.

Wiped out for a day, or an increased risk of being wiped out forever?

Arms out for the jabs.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Wiped out for a day, or an increased risk of being wiped out forever?

Arms out for the jabs.

I was just interested. Not anti vaccine. I have had AZ and I was mash up for about 12 hours. Got better as quickly as it came. It was weird. It was more out of interest.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I would live a poll added to this to understand how hard people were hit. It feels like far more than 1 in 10 getting symptoms.

So would it be possible to add moderna, Pfizer, AZ with an option for “no symptoms” “mild symptoms” “felt awful” or something like that. Among my mates of the same age (early 40s). Only two out of about ten who had AZ didn’t get any symptoms and most were wiped for a day or so.

It's been fascinating seeing the different reactions people have had to the jab. I felt a bit out of it the next day but took a couple of paracetamol and was fine. Friend of mine had full on fever for 3 days and could hardly get out of his bed. I'd assumed everyone was talking it up to get a day off work afterwards but seems some people do have really bad reaction. AZ does seem the worst culprit for causing reactions though. Moderna and Pfizer folks seem to have hardly any reaction at all out of people I know.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was just interested. Not anti vaccine. I have had AZ and I was mash up for about 12 hours. Got better as quickly as it came. It was weird. It was more out of interest.

Sorry - no aspersions cast from me.

I had Pfizer and not sure I had any reaction at all, other than a slightly sore arm.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
It's been fascinating seeing the different reactions people have had to the jab. I felt a bit out of it the next day but took a couple of paracetamol and was fine. Friend of mine had full on fever for 3 days and could hardly get out of his bed. I'd assumed everyone was talking it up to get a day off work afterwards but seems some people do have really bad reaction. AZ does seem the worst culprit for causing reactions though. Moderna and Pfizer folks seem to have hardly any reaction at all out of people I know.

My reaction was nuts. Temperature was still 39.3 degrees when I finally took it. Jab at 10am. Woke up the following morning at 1am feeling awful. Didn’t get much sleep. Kids up for school and I was bad (they took my temperature). Slept 9-12.30 and woke up feeling just about fine. It was bizarre. It was the first day off work sick I had taken for 4 years. Ironic.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

I'm in my 50s, had AZ and felt more or less absolutely fine as did a work colleague. It's pot luck and perhaps, in some cases, partly mind over matter. I know people who've taken days off 'just in case' they feel ill. Seems to me you're a lot more likely to feel rough if you're sitting around on the sofa wondering whether you feel a bit rough. I didn't have any choice but to work, so popped a couple of precautionary paracetamol every 4-6 hours and was so busy that I forgot all about it. Just seen that you had a strong reaction.. obviously, a temperature like that is a good indication something was really going on! But there's a good argument for early paracetamol, which keep the temperature down and may make the effects less severe.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

I had the pfizer jab yesterday morning. After 4 hours I had a desperate need to drink 3 pints of Sagres in the sunshine. After 6 hours I started getting a slight ache in my arm where the jab was given. Apart from the very minor ache I have no symptoms whatsoever. Heartily recommend the pizer jab followed by 3 pints of your preferred beer. In fact, I am going to sit in the sunshine and have another 3 pints watching the match this evening just to make sure I get no delayed reaction.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
A few hours after my Pfizer I felt pretty nauseous and had hot sweats. Passed out asleep by about 9pm but was fine the next day.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
The problem with gathering anecdotal information, eg by asking people on NSC, is that I strongly suspect that the more someone has suffered, the more likely they are to make an effort to tell others about it.

Almost any approach will carry some bias, but as good a picture as there is available is probably this: https://covid.joinzoe.com/post/covid-vaccine-astrazeneca-effects

Which is based on 345,000 people who got the AZ vaccine, recording their reaction, whether or not they experienced any effects.
Highlights:

Only one in three chance of any systemic side effects. (compared to even lower, one in eight for pfizer)

Higher (46%) chance of some side effects if you are under 55.

Most symptoms happen in the first 24 hours after vaccination, with headache, fatigue and chills and shivers being the most common

Vast majority were over it within two days

So it seems to me that the reality from actual data is not as bad as the impression you'd get based on anecdote alone. Which is not to undermine the fact that a few people will feel properly rough. Still better than Covid though!

Also - remember that if you are under 40 you are now unlikely to get Astrazeneca, so the odds of any side effects will be significantly lower

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
My reaction was nuts. Temperature was still 39.3 degrees when I finally took it. Jab at 10am. Woke up the following morning at 1am feeling awful. Didn’t get much sleep. Kids up for school and I was bad (they took my temperature). Slept 9-12.30 and woke up feeling just about fine. It was bizarre. It was the first day off work sick I had taken for 4 years. Ironic.

I had a very similar experience to you. I had mine (AZ) 17:30ish on a Thursday. Woke up the following morning with a sore arm and just feeling a bit sluggish generally but went to work no issues. Got to about 6pm on the Friday and I started to feel worse and worse, cancelled my plans and put myself to bed at 20:45. I laid in bed sweating incredibly but couldn't take the covers off as I just went into the most over exaggerated uncontrollable shivers as soon as I did. Laid in bed until about 3:30 before getting up and taking some stronger painkillers and I must have fallen asleep shortly after. Woke up 6am and felt absolutely fine.

My bed sheets and pillows were drenched where I had sweat so much. It was horrible but came and went in just a few hours.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Just a thought but given this thread is likely to be bumped every so often as new age ranges come into scope, is it worth making it a sticky?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As someone has already said on here earlier, this thread is probably not really an accurate measure of after effects, simply because people who have suffered after effects are more likey to post about it - no after effects, no news, no need to comment.

So, just for the record, and for balance, I had the Pfizer jab; slightly tender arm where the needle went in on the 2nd. jab, nothing at all on the first (I am somewhat in the older age group!) Bad luck on those who suffered a bit, but as has already been said, a brief period of suffering is a heap better than a long goodbye!

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The problem with gathering anecdotal information, eg by asking people on NSC, is that I strongly suspect that the more someone has suffered, the more likely they are to make an effort to tell others about it.

Almost any approach will carry some bias, but as good a picture as there is available is probably this: https://covid.joinzoe.com/post/covid-vaccine-astrazeneca-effects

Which is based on 345,000 people who got the AZ vaccine, recording their reaction, whether or not they experienced any effects.
Highlights:

Only one in three chance of any systemic side effects. (compared to even lower, one in eight for pfizer)

Higher (46%) chance of some side effects if you are under 55.

Most symptoms happen in the first 24 hours after vaccination, with headache, fatigue and chills and shivers being the most common

Vast majority were over it within two days

So it seems to me that the reality from actual data is not as bad as the impression you'd get based on anecdote alone. Which is not to undermine the fact that a few people will feel properly rough. Still better than Covid though!

Also - remember that if you are under 40 you are now unlikely to get Astrazeneca, so the odds of any side effects will be significantly lower

Thanks. I hadn’t seen this. This is the sort of thing I was after. I am actually a researcher by trade so get all this. I was just wondering about board experiences. I give presentations on bias in research. My go to example is polling showing that Landon would win the 1936 American election but the method was flawed (used phones and memberships of clubs) which meant a far smaller, but representative poll got it right.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I had the Astra jab and whilst I wasn't bad, bad, It certainly had an impact for 24 hours where I wasn't right. As an example, I got in my car to drive it to the shop and sat in the passenger seat and wondered what on earth I was doing.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Looks like they are cracking on with giving people second jab early I just got text from GPs moving my 2nd jab forwards by 3 weeks. Now having it 9 weeks apart instead of 12....

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Anyone attempted to rebook a second jab i.e. see if they can get it a bit earlier (say 8 weeks rather than 12)?

I'm due my second one on the 4th July and being 46 thought I might get a text advising me to rebook. I had my first one done at a pharmacy though rather than the Brighton Centre / Racecourse. I might give them a call but wondered if anyone here had done it.

I can see on the NHS site there's the option to cancel and rebook but that seems like a gamble as I don't want to lose that second appointment.

Cheers

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Anyone attempted to rebook a second jab i.e. see if they can get it a bit earlier (say 8 weeks rather than 12)?

I'm due my second one on the 4th July and being 46 thought I might get a text advising me to rebook. I had my first one done at a pharmacy though rather than the Brighton Centre / Racecourse. I might give them a call but wondered if anyone here had done it.

I can see on the NHS site there's the option to cancel and rebook but that seems like a gamble as I don't want to lose that second appointment.

Cheers

Rebooked mine the other day for an appointment 2 weeks earlier (this is at Brighton Centre). Loads of availability when I did it and seem to remember the website gave an idea of availability before cancelling.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Got my second one tomorrow...........guesss my age. 45, 50, 55?

Nope 60 in 3 weeks time and I'm not bothered. Just been patient and kept the appointment
when it was booked with the first vacine. Can really understand why people want it at the earliest opportunity, it is a necessity for most. The sooner we are all vaccinated the better.:thumbsup:

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
I tried a rebook for second jab (Brighton Centre) but the website said no available appointments there so I didn't cancel the appointment I have.

Heard from friends who tried to rebook for the first jab and got sent from Brighton to Crawley so probably not the best idea to cancel and retry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here