Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Season ticket sharing

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Doesn’t he have a group of 5 season ticket holders ? Hence his calculation of 5 lots of 20+25. That still doesn’t explain why he is offering to both give away free match tickets and buy memberships for everyone though. Blimey he sounds like Father Christmas.

If you're talking 'Don't Get Me Started' he says he has two season tickets which they share with 5 other people (3 adult kids and a couple of mates).

[MENTION=5208]drew[/MENTION] I think we might have misread - could be 5 STHs, of which any one might get passed to 5 others.......

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
That's interesting - I'd understood it was a one-off £20 fee per STH.............not that £20 was required to be paid for each different A+ member you might want to pass a ticket on to.

I'm fairly certain the other person has mis-understood what the club has told him or the person they spoke to at the club has got it massively wrong. It's a one off payment of £20 to turn your season ticket into a sharing ticket. It can then be shared with any Albion + member who is part of your friends and family group. The cost of being a member of Albion + is £25, which the other person will have already paid. If you've got more than 1 season ticket then each one has to be upgraded but there is no requirement for the season ticket holder to pay £20 for each person they want to share their ticket with.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
There is no government legislation. Only legislation is clubs T & Cs. which is different to many clubs including Man Utd and Leicester

You mean other than s166 CJPOA 1994, amended by s53 VCRA 2006:

"It is an offence for an unauthorised person to—
(a)sell a ticket for a designated football match, or
(b)otherwise to dispose of such a ticket to another person"

I assume?

It's been illegal to pass on a football ticket for a designated match (which includes all games for all pro clubs) since 1994, even for free. Clubs have turned a blind eye to it for the last 20 years, unless the recipient caused trouble.

It looks like the Albion will no longer do so (if they can actually be bothered to check ID for all attendees).

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
You mean other than s166 CJPOA 1994, amended by s53 VCRA 2006:

"It is an offence for an unauthorised person to—
(a)sell a ticket for a designated football match, or
(b)otherwise to dispose of such a ticket to another person"

I assume?

It's been illegal to pass on a football ticket for a designated match (which includes all games for all pro clubs) since 1994, even for free. Clubs have turned a blind eye to it for the last 20 years, unless the recipient caused trouble.

It looks like the Albion will no longer do so (if they can actually be bothered to check ID for all attendees).

It is legal if club gives permission to pass ticket on as they do to 1901 members.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I still can’t see them cross checking 32,000 IDs against the name on the ticket every other week.

I have been to some reasonably sized gigs where they have done this. If they can do this for a concert I don’t see why they can’t scale it up for football? The 32000 will be split into smaller groups e.g. 3000 west upper, 2000 west middle, 3500 west lower so it seems totally feasible.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
1901 members pay a lot more than an extra 25 quid per season for that privilege. The people moaning about this issue simply want something for nothing.

Have no problem with this in fact the opposite. Somebody was quoting that decision was made because it was illegal to pass tickets on. I used this as an example that it is ok with permission from club. In Brightons case they have chosen to allow it to 1901 members and use it to raise additional income from ST holders

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Have no problem with this in fact the opposite. Somebody was quoting that decision was made because it was illegal to pass tickets on. I used this as an example that it is ok with permission from club. In Brightons case they have chosen to allow it to 1901 members and use it to raise additional income from ST holders

The legislation does exist though. Perhaps it doesn’t apply to hospitality tickets and 1901 is classified as such ? I’m only guessing.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The legislation does exist though. Perhaps it doesn’t apply to hospitality tickets and 1901 is classified as such ? I’m only guessing.

The legislation as posted above states “It is an offence for an unauthorised person to—“ so basically the club are authorising certain ticket holders to pass them on through the T&Cs of that particular ticket, be it a 1901 seat or a sharing season ticket.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I have been to some reasonably sized gigs where they have done this. If they can do this for a concert I don’t see why they can’t scale it up for football? The 32000 will be split into smaller groups e.g. 3000 west upper, 2000 west middle, 3500 west lower so it seems totally feasible.

Yeh, German efficiency though. We’ll find out in 4 months if I wrong and have underestimated the abilities/motivation of a few hundred agency-supplied stewards on minimum wage when several thousand people are trying to get in 15-20 mins before KO.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yeh, German efficiency though. We’ll find out in 4 months if I wrong and have underestimated the abilities/motivation of a few hundred agency-supplied stewards on minimum wage when several thousand people are trying to get in 15-20 mins before KO.

In the TV interview that BarberOut recently did with Harty he said that the club would expect fans to turn up to games earlier than usual. He said it in the context of them having enough time to do their Covid protocols; but this whole ticket sharing regime has ostensibly been introduced for that reason anyway.

However strictly they adhere to checking every ID for every game (anyone fancy queueing outside in the pissing rain at 7:30pm on a cold January night?) for next season, I wonder if they’ll retain the ST sharing scheme for future seasons, or revert back to the old tolerance when CV-19 has ceased to be an issue.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We already queue up for a cursory ‘search’ anyway......getting the steward (or additional steward moving along the queue) to do (a similarly cursory I suspect) check of ID vs face vs name on ticket isn’t going to take more than a few seconds. Issues will be caused by same people that wait until everything has been rung through the till at a shop and the total given before they start faffing around looking for their wallet not having their ID ready for entry

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
We already queue up for a cursory ‘search’ anyway......getting the steward (or additional steward moving along the queue) to do (a similarly cursory I suspect) check of ID vs face vs name on ticket isn’t going to take more than a few seconds. Issues will be caused by same people that wait until everything has been rung through the till at a shop and the total given before they start faffing around looking for their wallet not having their ID ready for entry

I know it was only 2k people, but to avoid this last autumn, they had stewards before you entered the queuing barriers checking you had ID and ticket ready - they didn't let you join the queue unless you had that to hand. It then worked pretty well because they had 3 points of control; entry to the queuing barriers, end of the queuing barriers, turnstiles. Obviously that is going to need to be scaled up, but the principle at least seemed to work.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know it was only 2k people, but to avoid this last autumn, they had stewards before you entered the queuing barriers checking you had ID and ticket ready - they didn't let you join the queue unless you had that to hand. It then worked pretty well because they had 3 points of control; entry to the queuing barriers, end of the queuing barriers, turnstiles. Obviously that is going to need to be scaled up, but the principle at least seemed to work.

Yep, it was no big deal at all.....no more than a few seconds. More cost to the club sadly as will need additional stewards

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
Doesn’t he have a group of 5 season ticket holders ? Hence his calculation of 5 lots of 20+25. That still doesn’t explain why he is offering to both give away free match tickets and buy memberships for everyone though. Blimey he sounds like Father Christmas.

Not Father Christmas they are just my kids and very good friends, I hate to see a seat go empty and you could say over the years doing this I have introduced 5 keen supporters to the club who now buy merch and other benefits to the club. I contacted the club this morning and I was misinformed previously. It is a one off of £20 so I am happy to correct this. Membership is £28 next season apparently.

I am not going to buy them membership etc I was trying to point out the extra costs on top of a season ticket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here