Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 10 Years Ago Today

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We'll be back there in 2 years if we don't singe a striker soon.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
No offense to whoever made the video (obviously could have been for elderly relative unable to attend or whatever), but fancy choosing to experience a moment like that through a small screen.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Jesus that one clip has just reminded me of all the good memories I might have had at Withdean the atmosphere was ****ing shit. We were just about to win the league and you would find more noise at most non league stadiums in sussex.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Jesus that one clip has just reminded me of all the good memories I might have had at Withdean the atmosphere was ****ing shit. We were just about to win the league and you would find more noise at most non league stadiums in sussex.

What do you expect when there's no drum or group of spotty teenaged nawty boys in their black PJs?

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
No offense to whoever made the video (obviously could have been for elderly relative unable to attend or whatever), but fancy choosing to experience a moment like that through a small screen.

None taken.

To be fair, I don't think I was holding the camera in front of my face.

And no, I didn't record it for my grandmother. It actually garnered a fair bit of gratitude on here the next morning from people who didn't go.

Don't let it ruin your day :)

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

You will never find me knocking it, had some of my best Albion supporting moments at Withdean.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
You will never find me knocking it, had some of my best Albion supporting moments at Withdean.

I have extremely fond memories of Withdean me and my friends talk about it on a regular basis remembering different, games players and moments all of them though have a magical shine to them, which has clearly been added to my memory over time as the stone cold reality of it was Withdean was an awful place to watch football and we are lucky to have what we do now. there is no comparison to what we had to where we are now, not even close. However my memory will always make the two closer together than they actually are.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I have extremely fond memories of Withdean me and my friends talk about it on a regular basis remembering different, games players and moments all of them though have a magical shine to them, which has clearly been added to my memory over time as the stone cold reality of it was Withdean was an awful place to watch football and we are lucky to have what we do now. there is no comparison to what we had to where we are now, not even close. However my memory will always make the two closer together than they actually are.

Yes l agree that the two stadiums are obviously very different. and (again obviously), the Amex is far superior to watching football in than Withdean ever was. The sheer size of the Amex, the facilities, the atmosphere, the comfort, the standard of football on offer week in week out, knocks poor old Withdean into an inferior universe.

That said, the Amex, for me at least has a very corporate feel to it, and being, in many cases so far from the pitch, you feel slightly removed from the action. At Withdean we were far more of a family club, more of a community, the fans and the players against the rest of the world. All of the big boys hated coming to what must have seemd like a little old non league ground, with it's rickety old South Stand, and portacabin dressing rooms half a mile from the pitch. We were all in it together, and the twelve years that we spent there gave me such a buzz.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Has b.w. 2 cloned your account ?

Almost completely. Or not at all. Take your pick :wink:

Anyway, enough japing. I normally feel like 10 years ago seems like yesterday. But wrt 'the' Withdean....it all seems like a very long time ago indeed. A division 2/3 yo yo club, on a par with the mighty Iron. Would we embarrass ourselves in the Championship in our new stadium? No. No we didn't. :clap2:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
On the players lap of honour with their families at the end of the season, I think I had something in my eye when Adam El Abd had El Dad on the back of his shirt as he carried his nipper in his arms.

Never have I seen a player so transformed by a manager. Went from clogger to cultured under Gus, and that for me was such a joy to see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here