Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Percy Tau

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Its a tricky one at the moment for Potter and him. While in a relegation scrap Potter needs players he can trust and probably feels he hasnt yet seen enough of Tau to know if he can. Once we've got a few more points we may well see him play the last few games, and then a full pre-season to know if he can make the grade.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Its a tricky one at the moment for Potter and him. While in a relegation scrap Potter needs players he can trust and probably feels he hasnt yet seen enough of Tau to know if he can. Once we've got a few more points we may well see him play the last few games, and then a full pre-season to know if he can make the grade.

And yet Moder has come in and grabbed the opportunity and looks set for a run in the side. So not sure I'm buying this theory.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I feel players like Tau would have really benefitted with a continuation of the extra covid subs allowed last season. As things stand we don't have 'room' for any luxury substitutions.

May 5, 2020
Sussex

Yes I think I kind of agree with this.
Im not sure that potter hasn't seen enough of him to trust him,it's probably more a case of potter feels he isn't quite ready yet and there are better options at the moment.
The situation could change as we enter each match,either potter feels actually Tau is now ready or feels tau will give us something against the opposition for a particular match or even injury to another player giving tau an opportunity.
I'm sure tau is a player that potter would love to play but as you say it just too risky if potter feels he isn't ready and we need our strongest players to get us to safety.
But I agree,if we get to a safer position regarding points then I think potter will feel more comfortable giving tau a game to help his development but definitely plan to work with him over the summer and we will see him next season if we don't see this season.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I just can't see how he'll be here beyond the summer. You'd imagine a Belgian club would take him for 3-5 million. Job done.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I've just also been wondering, could the club be shutting tau away until the point where he is 100 percent ready to get a good run in the team to manage the expectations of the SA fans.
I wonder if ten minutes here and there or a run out in a cup game etc,has been noticed to increase negative social media activity and place unnecessary pressure on both club and player.
Maybe the club have faith that tau will be ready and be a regular player but feel it's better to keep him out of sight and out of mind until that moment arrives.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We absolutely must sell him rather than a loan, teams would be queuing up to buy him.
He is quite clearly a talent and a far better prospect than some in the squad like AJ, he may not be deemed quite up to the physical challenges in the Premier league and by the way we play by the coaching staff.
I hope he stays and grows into the team, but let’s not loan a player out who is a prospect with just what two years or a year on his contract, it just makes no sense, cash in if he doesn’t fit in.

In a month he is 27... just like Ali J. He should pretty much be at his peak as a footballer now and still he achieved a lot less in Belgium than Ali did in Holland.

I think the club took a chance in January to bring him over and see if he could add something to the team but that he didnt turn out to be the required level, hence other players getting "his" minutes. We'll see what happens but I would be surprised if he turns into a regular starter in the PL.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I've just also been wondering, could the club be shutting tau away until the point where he is 100 percent ready to get a good run in the team to manage the expectations of the SA fans.
I wonder if ten minutes here and there or a run out in a cup game etc,has been noticed to increase negative social media activity and place unnecessary pressure on both club and player.
Maybe the club have faith that tau will be ready and be a regular player but feel it's better to keep him out of sight and out of mind until that moment arrives.

But who does he play instead of? Webster potentially back tonight and that means dropping someone- who would you drop?
We don't need average players that could possibly do a job. We need players who will improve the team and Tau simply isn't that. Nothing personal against him but there are very obvious comparisons to Ali J. I said whilst he was still in Belgium that he isn't a striker. That his best position is starting out on the right and drifting in, and that that simply isn't a role Potter uses. There are clear similarities. Both signed on undoubted potential (when they were 23/24), both clearly talented, but both clearly not suited to our style of play and, most importantly, simply not good enough. Some you win, some you lose.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I just can't see how he'll be here beyond the summer. You'd imagine a Belgian club would take him for 3-5 million. Job done.

Yes I do think the summer will be the key point in what will happen.
It will certainly be either tau becoming a key player next season or sold.
No messing about it will be one or the other.
But I just feel that because of his quality the club will want to keep him if they can.
The deciding factors for selling him will be if the club feel he can't be developed into a player for us or if tau is not happy here.
From what I've seen of him I'm hoping he is happy here and the club feel they have a quality player they can get up to speed for premier League football.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
But who does he play instead of? Webster potentially back tonight and that means dropping someone- who would you drop?
We don't need average players that could possibly do a job. We need players who will improve the team and Tau simply isn't that. Nothing personal against him but there are very obvious comparisons to Ali J. I said whilst he was still in Belgium that he isn't a striker. That his best position is starting out on the right and drifting in, and that that simply isn't a role Potter uses. There are clear similarities. Both signed on undoubted potential (when they were 23/24), both clearly talented, but both clearly not suited to our style of play and, most importantly, simply not good enough. Some you win, some you lose.

Yes I must admit,
Whilst I do believe tau has got potential to be developed into another role than what he may be used too,he will certainly be fighting for a starting place more often than not and I do wonder if that is what he actually wants or whether he would rather just go somewhere else.
Time will tell and as I have said that by the summer Tau's future will be more certain.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Yet weirdly he started him at Man City away..

He looked pretty good too. Anyway, he won’t get in the team for a bit now, the front 3 WM system with Welbeck / Tross / Maupay have really clicked and delivered lately.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We absolutely must sell him rather than a loan, teams would be queuing up to buy him.
He is quite clearly a talent and a far better prospect than some in the squad like AJ, he may not be deemed quite up to the physical challenges in the Premier league and by the way we play by the coaching staff.
I hope he stays and grows into the team, but let’s not loan a player out who is a prospect with just what two years or a year on his contract, it just makes no sense, cash in if he doesn’t fit in.

Sure, we'll prefer to sell him .....................

............................... if anybody wants to buy him (and I very much doubt that there will be a queue; we certainly won't get anywhere near recouping our outlay)

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I’m looking forward to the cows making plenty of noise when he scores a preseason goal against some non league side. About the same standard as Sudan probably although he sadly failed to help banana banana score or qualify against those giants of world football.

That said, he could be a good squad player with a full preseason behind him (just maybe for a Championship club on loan rather than here judging by his earlier loans in Belgium). Anything that gets rid of 95% of the FB page ‘fans’.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yet weirdly he started him at Man City away..

He looked pretty good too. Anyway, he won’t get in the team for a bit now, the front 3 WM system with Welbeck / Tross / Maupay have really clicked and delivered lately.

Not many options for that game as Connolly, Welbeck and Ali J were all injured. Agree he did well but he was really poor in the next game against Leeds. Neither says a lot though, good players sometimes have bad games and poor players sometimes have good games.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Tau didn’t make the bench tonight - injured or just that others preferred? I’d like to see more of him and would prefer him to Ali J in the squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here