Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Real 1901 Club - anyone a member?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
My dad attended his first Albion match in 1926 and was taken by his older brother who was already a fan and presumably supported them since before then. In a lightbulb moment, it occurred to me that 1926 is only 25 years after the club was formed. So was their father, my grandfather, a fan from the very beginning? After all, I've been a fan for more than 50 years and my dad clocked up 84 years, so it's possible. My father's family were definitely avid football players as well as I have seen photo's of them in the 1920's in a team with a trophy. So was my family part of the original 1901 Club that supported Albion from formation of the club? I'm on the case, but are there any fans who can trace their Albion lineage to the very beginning or the earliest years and if you can, what's your story?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I think a lot are in the 'highly likely' brigade.

My Dad attended when he was young, but that would have been the 30s/40s. I should imagine his Dad went too, so that would have been the 10s.

We will all have a relation, now ceased to be, who may have been there at the start. Too late to ask the question now, alas.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
My Dad went to his first game in 1947, but my Grandad passed away when I was very young so I never really knew him. It's a great question though so I'll do some digging.

My Dad is a member of another fairly exclusive club, in having had a season ticket for the Albion at 4 different grounds.

Jul 7, 2003
My Dad is a member of another fairly exclusive club, in having had a season ticket for the Albion at 4 different grounds.

I'm not that old and can match that. I had season tickets at the Goldstone, Priestfield (second season), WIthdean and Amex.

Hope you will be able to get back to your day job shortly!

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I'm not that old and can match that. I had season tickets at the Goldstone, Priestfield (second season), WIthdean and Amex.

Hope you will be able to get back to your day job shortly!

Thank you, been in this weekend for the first time since Xmas Eve, so not sure if the cooking is entirely on point at the moment!

We're opening on Tuesday, got a few extra tables outside, so if we can get some reasonable weather I'm quite optimistic going forward.

Sorry for derailing thread!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

I can match that (Priestfield both seasons) although no chance of family going back to 1901 given that my father disliked football.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My mum's cousin who died 2 years ago, in her 90s, was a regular attendee with her dad and some uncles in the 30s. I did ask her about her experiences but alas they didn't make for lasting recollections. Her ill health and our infrequent vists precluded my pressing for details. That side of the family (my mum's side) did proliferate in Hove though, and were regulars at the Goldstone. Probably many descendents on NSC :eek:.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can match that (Priestfield both seasons) although no chance of family going back to 1901 given that my father disliked football.

My father, brother and myself are/were all Goldstone, Priestfield, Withdean and AMEX season ticket holders. My grandparents on my father’s side were from New Cross so nothing prior to my father. Mother was adopted, no idea about anything on that side.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Both my grandfather's used to go to matches after the war and I'm sure one of them used to go as a kid so that would have been pre war but I don't know if he went with his father or relatives or with his mates so 1930s is as far back as I can go any certainty.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
I have a couple of pictures of my Grandad in the North Stand in 1914. He was a lad then and pretty sure he was with his father so my Great Grandfather would have been there at the start.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
This thread sent me down a rabbit hole last night, my Grandad wasn't born until 1903 so he's out, and his dad (my great grandfather) seemed to float towards crime and poverty, struggling at times to feed his family, so we're not sure if he would have been able to go to football. He spent time in Lewes Prison, but also helped construct Beachy Head Lighthouse, which prompted another question - does anyone have ancestors who would have helped build the Goldstone? Or is that too abstract?!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here