Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Sandwich/roll fillings

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I know what you mean. Cheddar suffers from a lack of D.O.P. Any block of yellow nothingness can be called cheddar.

Perhaps we should do the same thing with Cheddar, that the French did with Champagne, and make it illegal for anyone to manufacture it anywhere other than the town or area that the product puts it's name to.

After all, have you ever tasted a "bad" Champagne? I'm far from an expert but l've enjoyed all that l have tasted.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
You must love Subway then. Half a dozen breads to choose from and not one of them that tastes like bread. And speaking of Subway, does anyone else remember Capt Submarine in the 80's in whatever that street's called opposite Brighton Town Hall? Foot-long Sub was to die for, least it seemed like it at the time. Seemed to unleash a whole world of roll-based possibilities in that bygone era when even things like garlic and olives seemed impossibly exotic and sophisticated. Suspect it may not have stood the test of time too well tho :lol:

Yes, I well remember Captain Submarines. Seemed impossibly exotic at the time. Friend of mine was addicted to the cheese and salami with chilli sauce.

Heaven knows what his bowels were like the following morning after he'd floated two of those on top of a gallon of Guinness!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Perhaps we should do the same thing with Cheddar, that the French did with Champagne, and make it illegal for anyone to manufacture it anywhere other than the town or area that the product puts it's name to.

After all, have you ever tasted a "bad" Champagne? I'm far from an expert but l've enjoyed all that l have tasted.

That ship has sailed, I'm afraid. West Country Farmhouse Cheddar does have protected status though.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Peppered Mackerel and avacado with leaf spinach, cherry tomatoes and a splash of lemon juice.
Its important to place the tomatoes in the sandwich without slicing them and then pop them by applying pressure to the sandwich as you place the second slice of bread on top.
Works best in a baguette but is also fantastic in a sandwich using on of the seeded farmhouse style loave's.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That ship has sailed, I'm afraid. West Country Farmhouse Cheddar does have protected status though.

......and a tasty extra matured Cheddar is up there with any other cheese for strength and taste.

Not as poncy and 'Oh, look at my cordon bleu' superiority credentials, maybe, but still delicious.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
It’s all in the bread. If I can get it, a couple of cuts of Pump Street Bakery white sourdough, thinly spread salted butter, a cut of your preferred cheese, mature cheddar of some sort for me, and recently some British piccalilli

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Beef, sauerkraut and a bit of Dijon mustard.

Gammon, fried egg and tomato sauce.

Marmite, red Leicester and mayonnaise.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here