Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Sandwich/roll fillings

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
In my BHASVIC days, I'd often get lunch from the Italian deli on Dyke Road. They did a great range of baguettes. The meatball one was a particular favourite along with the pastrami and cheddar. Brie, bacon and cranberry too :love:

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Back when I first started working there was a sandwich shop in Air St just near The Quadrant that used to do an absolute slab of doorstep bread, slathered in enough melted cheese to bathe in and topped with caramelized onions. It truly was a thing of beauty. I've never seen its like again.

Then, when working later in The City we discovered both the Birley's Hot Special and a place that did a roast dinner in a baguette. I'm honestly drooling thinking about it.

In the absence of both, at home, during lockdown, it's chicken and crispy bacon, tossed in mayo, with Iceberg Lettuce on thick granary.

Birley's is incredible. My friday lunch hangover spot of choice

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
This reminds me of those small Italian sandwich shops in London where they have all sorts of mixtures like this in oval metal dishes under the glass counter. I miss these.

I really worry about some of these places, alongside other independent gems that served the lunch hordes around work. They would have had practically zero footfall for just over a year now. hopefully we're not just left with legions of prets and leons after we return!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Also, the pilchard in tomato sauce with a dash of vinegar, salt and pepper is absolutely heaven in a mother’s pride white slice. All these poncified nouveau fillings...we need to get back to basics and some of the old skool sandwiches are amongst the very best. Add a warm coke and paper straw with a freezing seafront and howling gale and you’ve got the perfect outing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Also, the pilchard in tomato sauce with a dash of vinegar, salt and pepper is absolutely heaven in a mother’s pride white slice. All these poncified nouveau fillings...we need to get back to basics and some of the old skool sandwiches are amongst the very best. Add a warm coke and paper straw with a freezing seafront and howling gale and you’ve got the perfect outing.

Food and memories; I don’t want to get too Heston Blumenthal but I have a big thing about a cup of tea in a polystyrene cup on a windswept seafront/beach. I spent a lot of time near the water as a kid growing up Newhaven and would often be drinking takeaway tea from such a vessel. I still go misty eyed whenever I am presented with one now. I recently went back to the west side beach in Newhaven and the tea was still served in polystyrene much to my delight.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I had a wonderful one yesterday- chicken thigh, lettuce, tomato mayo in a wholemeal baguette. But was it better than this morning's fried egg, chard and sriracha bap? Will both be overshadowed by the pork knuckle bao bun I'm planning to have in a few beers time?

The possibilities are endless- how could anyone choose just one?

OK, the bao wins. Pulled pork and chicken gizzards (cooked yesterday in black beer, rice wine, dark soy, light soy, fish sauce, chicken stock, star anise, cinnamon, garlic, ginger amongst other things), crispy fried shallots, sriracha mayo. My only regret is I don't have a second one.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yeah but it depends on both "what type of cheese" and "what type of dates".

Shoving a nice, rich, creamy blue with a few proper sticky dates into a fresh baguette does it for me. It is, dare I say, exotic.

Sticking some shit cheddar together with the packet dates you get with a sell by date of 2025 into some white sliced is a food crime that should be punishable with a season ticket in the Holmesdale.

Yeah, if you are going to make a cheese sandwich, blue is definately the way to go, so much regular shop bought cheese, Cheddar especially, can be bland and virtually tasteless.

If l do eat a Cheddar cheese sandwich l have to add a large amount of onion or pickle to add flavour and make it taste of anything.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Yeah, if you are going to make a cheese sandwich, blue is definately the way to go, so much regular shop bought cheese, Cheddar especially, can be bland and virtually tasteless.

If l do eat a Cheddar cheese sandwich l have to add a large amount of onion or pickle to add flavour and make it taste of anything.

Decent cheddar is anything but bland.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Needs to be hunted down though, most of the generic supermarket offerings just don't have enough ooomph in them . . . for my tastebuds anyway.

I know what you mean. Cheddar suffers from a lack of D.O.P. Any block of yellow nothingness can be called cheddar.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

Thankfully food has moved on from the rubbish they used to serve in state schools .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You must love Subway then. Half a dozen breads to choose from and not one of them that tastes like bread. And speaking of Subway, does anyone else remember Capt Submarine in the 80's in whatever that street's called opposite Brighton Town Hall? Foot-long Sub was to die for, least it seemed like it at the time. Seemed to unleash a whole world of roll-based possibilities in that bygone era when even things like garlic and olives seemed impossibly exotic and sophisticated. Suspect it may not have stood the test of time too well tho :lol:

I do like a nice subway as it happens.

Or did....

A friend of mine worked at Caprain Submarine for a while....???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here