Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Replacing a conservatory roof

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Anyone done it to improve insulation and aesthetics?

Thinking replacing old polycarbonate with tiling

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I don’t have a conservatory but why would you want to replace a glass roof that lets the sun and light in with tiling? Surely that’s an extension?

I’ve seen the adverts on TV about roofing but to me it defeats the object of a conservatory.

Just an observation!

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
The new "In Thing" for the conservatory market is removing your old discoloured, heat losing and noisy polycarbonate roof for a synthetic slate or tile roof with insulated panels and plaster-boarded ceiling with velux window or glass panels.
Whilst these look good and are better insulated, the original frames need to be structurally reinforced to carry the load.
Depending on the age of the existing structure, you may need new doors and windows with load bearing coupling mullions or even a Portal frame.
Be careful.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don’t have a conservatory but why would you want to replace a glass roof that lets the sun and light in with tiling? Surely that’s an extension?

I’ve seen the adverts on TV about roofing but to me it defeats the object of a conservatory.

Just an observation!

probably because in mid summer all-glass conservatories become unbearably and unusably hot.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Anyone done it to improve insulation and aesthetics?

Thinking replacing old polycarbonate with tiling

We've just been looking at that. Quotes ranging from £10k for one system and about £18k for Ultraframe system. For the moment we put it on pause as we're doing other work as a priority. Be aware that you need to comply with Building Regs as you are effectively turning the conservatory into an extension. One company quoted about £1400 to comply with the regs and another only £400!!

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Currently getting quotes (2 in awaiting the third) to replace my polycarbonate with a solid roof with plastered ceiling etc so it can become our home office (I am going to see if I can claim it back on tax but salaried so probably not) . Despite the myths we heard from friends such as wall windows don’t need replaced, structural upgrade required, if a side panel “blows” it can be not be replaced etc are all wrong. Also no planning required as long as external door to house remains and heating separate, we will probably need building regulation approval. There are 3 or 4 rood material options we have been offered - all seem of a similar cost - just waiting third quote before we make decision

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Thanks for all the replies good folk of NSC. I’d welcome updates as your plans progress.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here