Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The ten PL defenders least dribbled past this season…

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
So if i'm reading that right, Konsa and Dunk are the best English defenders in the league, with Webster not far behind, all 3 better than England regulars Maguire, Dier and i assume Stones as he's not in the top 10?

Fantastic job that Southgate chap is doing :thumbsup:

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
So if i'm reading that right, Konsa and Dunk are the best English defenders in the league, with Webster not far behind, all 3 better than England regulars Maguire, Dier and i assume Stones as he's not in the top 10?

If only your ability as a defender was defined by 1 statistic..

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
If only your ability as a defender was defined by 1 statistic..

Very true, however it is a pretty important one and they do pretty well in most other stats i've seen. I'd actually be quite interested to see the stats that show why Maguire and Dier in particular are consistantly picked.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

I’m already kicking myself for biting. Is this a genuine post?

I think Southgate will be taking a few other factors into consideration when selecting a team.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain

I think Southgate will be taking a few other factors into consideration when selecting a team.

No doubt he does, but i'm genuinely interested to know what those factors would be, it's not even just in defence of Dunk or Webster although i do think both are better than Dier, as mentioned above Konsa has been consistant all season for Villa, Mee and Tarkowski at Burnley have been good for years.

Yet they get overlooked time and time again in favour of Dier who at times cant get into Spurs team and Mings who seems to have numerous errors in him. I'm not a huge fan of Maguire but he has made a difference to Man Utd's defence since he's been there and i do rate John Stones, none are perfect, all can make a mistake from time to time but for consistancy, i don't see how Dier and Mings get ahead of any of the others.

Still, i'm Scottish, so carry on Gareth, great job, at least Dunk and Webster aren't getting injured on international duty :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Indeed. Other important properties of a top international defensive central defender:

1. Number of times he bombed on, dribbling past the opposition, to lay on a goal, a la Steevie (G) Gerrard
2. Number of times he came up for a corner and nutted it into the net a al Virtual Van Dyke
3. Number of timed he blocked a shot, a la Lewis (who?) Dunk
4. Number of times he played a slightly more difficult pass than the obvious one and just about got away with it, a la John Stones

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Indeed. Other important properties of a top international defensive central defender:

1. Number of times he bombed on, dribbling past the opposition, to lay on a goal, a la Steevie (G) Gerrard
2. Number of times he came up for a corner and nutted it into the net a al Virtual Van Dyke
3. Number of timed he blocked a shot, a la Lewis (who?) Dunk
4. Number of times he played a slightly more difficult pass than the obvious one and just about got away with it, a la John Stones

5. Number of times he’s been arrested and convicted after brawling with local mafia whilst on holiday in Greece

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here