Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Grand National

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Looking at Cheltenham and this race, the Irish have found a sport that they dominate.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I combined that with the £100 in free bet credits offer on opening the account. :)

Free money basically.

Like I said, that offer was free money. :)

7807ECDB-433C-4252-9256-9D8F9F18B0D5.jpeg

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Until that sort of attitude changes then nothing will change to improve the welfare of the animals used within this so called sport.

Yet another horse had to die today to satisfy the needs of the industry - An industry that does nothing in real terms and causes so much harm to both humans and animals.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Until that sort of attitude changes then nothing will change to improve the welfare of the animals used within this so called sport.

Yet another horse had to die today to satisfy the needs of the industry - An industry that does nothing in real terms and causes so much harm to both humans and animals.

Yawn.

JackB247

Sep 25, 2013
Burgess Hill

Creaky,

As someone who works for the regulator, I can assure you there is a significant volume of work being down to improve the welfare of horses within racing. There is a horse welfare strategy called A Life Well Lived dedicated to making improvements not just to the safety of the sport but also the tracking of racehorses throughout their lifetime.

Also, have you ever considered the good that racing globally does for the horse breed? Without racing what happens to them? I presume your proposal is to let them roam free around the British countryside - as there certainly won't be enough people to look after them all if you stopped racing.

Also, I'd be keen to understand what harm that the racing industry does to human beings? Am sure the best part of 20,000 people directly employed in the industry would disagree with you.

JackB247

Sep 25, 2013
Burgess Hill
Looking at Cheltenham and this race, the Irish have found a sport that they dominate.

Totally dominant and don't expect it to change too much when the Flat starts up and Irish trained horses win the Classics.

The british racing industry needs government to step up and help with funding like the Irish government did if we want to remain competitive.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I'm sure the horse who got whacked non stop really appreciates it

I didn't see any horses getting whacked non-stop. I may have missed it but what I saw was a jockey waving the whip backwards and forwards without touching the horse with it. That's usually how they ride a finish, albeit the horse does sometimes get a whack or two.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Creaky,

As someone who works for the regulator, I can assure you there is a significant volume of work being down to improve the welfare of horses within racing. There is a horse welfare strategy called A Life Well Lived dedicated to making improvements not just to the safety of the sport but also the tracking of racehorses throughout their lifetime.

Also, have you ever considered the good that racing globally does for the horse breed? Without racing what happens to them? I presume your proposal is to let them roam free around the British countryside - as there certainly won't be enough people to look after them all if you stopped racing.

Also, I'd be keen to understand what harm that the racing industry does to human beings? Am sure the best part of 20,000 people directly employed in the industry would disagree with you.

As regards what would happen to the horses that are currently racing I would ask what will happen to them now? What will happen to the horses that are bred from them? If all the horses that are bred for racing were “successful” then you may have a point with your comment but as I’m sure you are well aware this is far from being the case.

There may well be 20,000 people directly employed in the racing industry and many more involved in the gambling industry, there are also estimated to be well over a quarter of million “problem” gamblers in the UK. What purpose, other than to provide an instrument to gamble on, does horse racing fulfil?

There is absolutely no need to “use” any animal for “fun” - I have read the “A Life Well Lived” strategy and it only reinforces my opinion that there is an awful lot wrong in the racing industry and much as some of that is being recognised by the industry itself, (as outlined in the report/plan), there really is no justification for its continuance in the 21st century.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here