Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Latest TV Paul Barber: Albion in Europe?

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Isn't there a new euro club comp coming soon? If so is it like Rugby where all the teams get involved? Please enlighten me.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Clicked on this only planning to watch a minute or so and intending to watch it tonight.

But I watched it straight through beginning to end. Very interesting and just reinforces the fact that compared to the chaotic leadership regimes at other clubs we are very, very lucky to have such professional, rational and measured people running the Albion.

Absolutely ditto :thumbsup:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Oh my not this again it’s took a season for some to realise we are nowhere near the ambitious top ten statement.

I have a lot of sympathy for what you say, after all every season we have spent in the Premier League thus far, we have been courting relegation, so things will have to improve massively on the playing front for us wo win a European place.

That said, l suppose if you don't think positively, and aren't ambitious enough, then it will never happen. After all it wasn't that long ago that we were plying our trade in League One at Withdean under Gus was it? In those days Premier League football was just a pipe dream!

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Great job Ian, really enjoyed it and as others have said we are so lucky to have people like TB and PB running our club. If the program is a success who else have you got on your list to interview?

:thumbsup:

Thanks for your kind words.

I’ve actually almost got a wish list, which hopefully will pan out, a mixture of Albion, Sussex CC and other local personalities.

I would actually like the opportunity to question Bill Archer over a 30 minute slot , but that in itself is a double edged sword, lots of questions to ask and clarity on answers, but he is knocking 80, and the last thing I want is the woke brigade/pc police accusing me of bullying a pensioner 🙈

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I have a lot of sympathy for what you say, after all every season we have spent in the Premier League thus far, we have been courting relegation, so things will have to improve massively on the playing front for us wo win a European place.

That said, l suppose if you don't think positively, and aren't ambitious enough, then it will never happen. After all it wasn't that long ago that we were plying our trade in League One at Withdean under Gus was it? In those days Premier League football was just a pipe dream!
To counter your point we spent to get out of league one, invested at the time a large amount to get out of the championship. Unfortunately to do anything of note in the PL takes a whole different level of investment. Nice to dream though.

We played well for a half at Utd and that was pleasing, unfortunately we got undone by world class players and it’s always going to happen at this level until you have some of your own.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
If they are serious about getting into Europe then i hope Potter does the decent thing at the end of the season and steps aside. We will need a tried and tested European manager.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
If they are serious about getting into Europe then i hope Potter does the decent thing at the end of the season and steps aside. We will need a tried and tested European manager.

Wind up merchant

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Thanks,this was a fantastic interview.
Good questions and interview style from yourself and you got some really good in-depth answers from Paul Barber.
I like PB's style,he is always calm,sensible,realistic and for a high flyer he is always very down to earth and keen to see things from a human perspective as well as the business side of things.
He obviously loves the club as much as we do as fans which is great to see.
Fantastic work,well done latest TV.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Like who?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously it won’t be a big European “name” so maybe a young manager with progressive ideas and some experience of playing in Europe? Graham Potter maybe?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Little old Brighton, playing European football, who would have thunk it!

In the next five years though? I'm not so sure. Firstly we have to get away from this wretched relegation scrap, and then simply look towards making ourselves an established Premier League club, maybe then we can start thinking more ambitiously.

That said, if we survive this season, it will mean a fifth consecutive season in the top flight, everyone in the club is determined to make European football happen, the players, the management, and certainly the fans. Let's all hope we get to see it.

I do t subscribe to this way of thinking. We ARE an established EPL club. Look at how quickly it can change, Wolves were in Europe, West Ham have gone from bottom half to challenging for a CL spot in less then a year.
One or two players could transform us. Look at the impact of the keeper. Get a striker and a playmaker, have some luck with injuries and there is no reason we can’t push on significantly in a very short timeframe.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
That said, hope he’s cautious stating that long term goal publicly as some numpteys may use it as a stick to beat our manager with if we don’t qualify for Europe (as some did for us not being top 10).

Totally agree with you. Do you remember that "Premier League Ready" slogan..? So embarrassing.

As if little 'ol Brighton would have ever made it to the Premier League....

Oh.........

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Totally agree with you. Do you remember that "Premier League Ready" slogan..? So embarrassing.

As if little 'ol Brighton would have ever made it to the Premier League....

Oh.........

[emoji106] it’s almost as if the club know what they’re doing and have made long term plans or something [emoji6]

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I do t subscribe to this way of thinking. We ARE an established EPL club. Look at how quickly it can change, Wolves were in Europe, West Ham have gone from bottom half to challenging for a CL spot in less then a year.
One or two players could transform us. Look at the impact of the keeper. Get a striker and a playmaker, have some luck with injuries and there is no reason we can’t push on significantly in a very short timeframe.
Totally agree. People seem too happy to see us as 'little old Brighton'

Off the top of my head i can remember Burnley, Swansea, Wolves, even Birmingham in Europe not so long ago. West Ham have had Antonio leading the line most of the season and are pushing for Champions League! And there's now this noddy Europa Conference thing which seems perfect for a side like us.

In my opinion this season as been a huge disappointment but IF we, to paraphrase Gpot himself, take the positives and use them to kick on next season, it may turn out to be a really useful stepping stone. I guess it will likely all hinge on summer ins and outs.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here