Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 9-12/4/21

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I mean, it’s unlikely... but not inconceivable that Saints lose the next 4 games. I think they play Fulham as well. I wouldn’t be completely relaxed for them.

Fulham would need 10 from 6 and WBA 13 from 7 to go past them if they get no more points at all. Can’t see either happening.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Such a shame Saints are done and dusted, if they hadn't cheated their way to 3 pts against us at the Amex, they'd be in real trouble...

Well done for not forgetting - was very weird being there for those of us who were. Joke of a ‘decision’ and certainly not clear nor obvious!

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Saints fans must be in meltdown.
Their owner is trying to sell the club, Ings wants away, they lost their main Chinese shirt sponsor and replaced them with a cheaper deal with a betting company.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Due to frame rate I believe the actual margin for error is about 6 feet.

Not just that - inability to be certain of the exact point of contact of ball arriving on/leaving player’s foot, and speed of the receiving player during the move in question. The current level of precision they are trying to apply with their forensic lines makes no sense.

The facile argument often put forward that ‘offside is offside, fact’ when using a VAR decision doesn’t always hold water.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Ward-Prowse :lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I mean, it’s unlikely... but not inconceivable that Saints lose the next 4 games. I think they play Fulham as well. I wouldn’t be completely relaxed for them.

Blimey, Southampton have to play Leicester, Spurs, Liverpool, Dirty Leeds and West Ham as well as Fulham.

It's perfectly possible that they could get no points from that lot

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Ainsley Maitland Miles who we were linked with in the summer man of the match.

Could be an interesting signing assuming Brom go down.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Late to log on, but I don't have a problem with the West Brom VAR decision. No one likes that it happens, but for the past almost two seasons VAR has been used to determine offsides by a fraction. There have been numerous occasions where we've looked at similar angles to the one shown and commentators have declared it is clearly onside, then the lines get drawn against shirt sleeves and the decisions is offside. We may not like it, but the officials/authorities are happy that VAR is accurate enough to make those tight calls with absolute confidence. Experience should tell us all that, as much as people think it was onside, there is a significant chance that had a line been drawn from the West Brom 'scorer's' arm, and the Everton defenders foot it could have been shown to be offside. Since the angles available don't give a clear view of the West Brom player's arm, they can't draw the line, so they stuck with the onfield decision. Seems fair to me, as someone who accepts that VAR is being used this way.

Beyond that, the onfield assistant gave offside. It's a tight decision, not a clear and obvious error. So why are people upset they stuck with the onfield decision? Isn't that what we've been calling for? Errors are a part of football, we say, should only be used for clear and obvious, we say, yet when that is put into practice...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Entirely accidentally, VAR actually got it right today. It looked a close decision in real time - the lino called it offside, the ref gave it - and VAR shouldn't have even looked at it - it wasn't a clear and obvious howler to anyone watching in real time!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] is going to have to give the next one of these threads some thought. From this Friday 16.04.21, there are Premier League fixtures on ELEVEN consecutive days!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here