Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 10 years on - The best Withdean moment - Nominations thread

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I remember a particularly good chant from a set of away supporters, although to my shame I can't quite remember which club now.

It was a midweek game in the Paint Pot Trophy and the away fans had the family stand. I'd never seen such a low turnout, probably about 30 of them. To their credit, they sang all evening and capped it off a treat with ...'home in a taxi, were going home in a taxi! :lolol:

I want to say Barnet. We battered them, we may have even cheered for them when they scored. although I could be confusing two games.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Nathan Jones' Rhonda shuffle. Incredible scenes.

Mansfield 6-0, with silky Dave Cameron tripping over his own feet. The Paul Watson/Zamora freekick routine.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We were too, it was my young son’s third ever Albion game. 12 years on (time flies), he’s a NS s/t holder.

I really liked Russell Slade, self effacing, he loved that chant.

Yes l loved Salde too, the lower divisions fire fighting equivalent of Big Sam. Wondering what he was up to now l wikkid him. A managerial "consultant", (whatever that is), at Stevenage apparantly, the club whose manager is Alex Revell, and coach Dean Wilkins. Another team with a strong ex Albion presence.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Bridcutt’s last minute goal v Carlisle.

My son was 12 at the time. After they equalised he threw a paddy and wanted to go - told him we never left before the end and to have faith. Even so - we walked down to the running track and stood behind the goal for the last couple of minutes. The trajectory of the ball was right in our eye line as it went in.

Since that day he has never ever left before the end of a game. He’s an academy coach himself now and still uses it as example to his players of keeping going to the end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Many good games . Few things I will never forget

Going to midweek evening game Northern opponents maybe Rochdale poring with rain and freezing cold. There were about 10 away supporters seated miles from pitch. Felt very sorry for them

Turning up for youth team game against Chelsea expecting to park next to pub. 5k turned up Missed first 20mins.

The worst performance I have ever seen from so called good player when Robbie Savage played. Showed no interest at all and was an insult to watch. Cant remember who manager was but at least he had balls to take him off at half time. We won i think 3.2

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
As a JCL I only ever got to see one game at Withdean and to this day is still the most scared I've ever been at a football match .

We got to the ground very early and had a lovely carvery in the pub chatting to the away fans on what was a lovely March day .

From my seat in the pub I could clearly see the stand we would be sitting in backing on to the woodland and I was looking forward to the game .

Never even seeing withdean before upon entry I found it a bit surreal , as we walked along the running track which in itself was a strange event you could feel the eyes of those seated burning into you which made me feel slightly nervous, they must know I've never been here before , my sub conscious assumed, it seemed like we were heading for the end of the main stand and I was told this was the only spot with any atmosphere at all .

I squeezed my over fed thighs into my seat and soaked up some warming sunshine and waited for kick off , I admit none of the players were familiar to me but I clapped along with the rest as the home team names were called out on definitely the worst PA system I'd ever heard .

Everything seemed good the football was entertaining if not clandestine but I was having a good time , then just before half time the away team scored and a smattering of tiny ants danced away to my left probably cheering but barely audible due to the ridiculous distance they were from the pitch .

So half time came and we trudged off to the refreshment area through the fog of cigarette smoke and chip fat frying to discuss the teams first half failings and how all our nans would have saved the goal .

The smells reminded me of football from days gone by, on the terraces a unique combination of aromas from long ago that you can only find at a football match .

Anyway I digress , so the game restarted and every now and then a few lads would try to start a song but it seemed to just die on the breeze never really taking off , with 16 minutes to go we equalised and the mood changed from one of defeat to one of possible victory , people that had already started to leave along the running track made their way back to whatever seat they fancied it was game on .

So the noise level had really perked up and one had a sense that the game would be won and so did the players , visibly steeled by the crowds involvement, then it happend .

A few started to stamp their feet in tune to Queens we will rock you , this seemed to ripple out and very soon it felt like the whole stand was starting to sway with the vibration , I didn't imagine it because over the deafening din looking around you could see others looking down at was by now a moving stand with 3 thousand Freddie Mercury's stomping out .

I went from having a ball to having palpations in very quick time , it was scary! Luckily for me we scored and the synchronised stomping stopped , the stand seemed stop moving and my heart rate returned to normal .

I've no idea if indeed the stand was swaying that day but it certainly felt like it , I never got the chance to revisit The Theatre of Trees and to be honest I can't say I was sad to see it go , but as experiences go at football grounds it was certainly right up there .

Thank god you didn't go twice .:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here