Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 10 years on - The best Withdean moment - Nominations thread

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Back at the end of 2019, I ran the very popular, moment of the decade thread.

This culminated in a fantastic final - https://www.northstandchat.com/show...ion-Moment-of-the-Decade-The-Final&highlight=

2-1 vs. Doncaster Rovers 2011/12 - First game at the AMEX beat 2-1 vs. Wigan Athletic, 2016/17 – Promotion to Premier League 66% to 33%. A very worthy winner. :clap2:

On the 30th of April this year, it will be TEN YEARS since we left The Withdean - mental.

So what better way to look back on the Withdean Years than to vote on your favourite ever Withdean moment. This will be crowned on April 30th 2021, ten years to the day that we said goodbye to Withdean with a 3-2 defeat to Huddersfield Town.

Please nominate your favourite moments here (and second others that you think are worthy) . Depending on how many entries we get, the competition will either feature, 16, 24 or 32 nominations. I will then sort the necessary group and knockout stages ...

488.jpg.gallery.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bloke on the pitch after Man City in his scooter/wheelchair

First competitive game back in Brighton and beating Mansfield 6-0

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The match against Pardew's Reading in 2002. They were top, I think, and were full of it. It was a rainy Withdean and Brighton just took them apart. We won 3-1 and Reading's goal was a consolation at the end. We looked like a team that day and Reading looked deflated.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Knocking Man City out of the League Cup after extra time and penalties. 24th September 2008 = my other half's birthday.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Drunk bloke getting his false leg pulled off by H Block stewards, then being manhandled, hopping and effing and blinding, round the running track. Marvellous Withdean scenes :lolol:

Last edited:

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
This for me too. I bloody hated them at the time.

I'm still not a fan of their's. I read on their forum a while ago that they're not particularly fond of us either. A few of their fans were moaning about the recpetion they got at withdean with the huge brown envelope we made.

When you reflect back on it, one of the things they got caught doing was regarding the Luke Beckett transfer. They signed him from Chester with a fee decided by a tribunal. They told the FA they were going to pay him £500 a week, but secretly paid him 1K a week. The lower figure for the wages meant the tribunal set them a lower transfer fee. That's pretty sh***y at the best of times, but when you think Chester later went out of business, getting shafted for one of their biggest assets clearly didn't help them. Cheaterfield fully deserved the grief they got at the time, and if they still don't feel they did anything wrong then they deserve to still be seen as cheats.

Last edited:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The first game - we were back in Brighton
Swindon
Chesterfield
Man City
Reading 3-1 with Pardew in charge
Zamora v Halifax
4-3 Bridcutt ' Stuff of dreams'
1-0 v Cardiff - Zamora - it pi**ed down but I knew we were going up after that game.
Virgo's goal to keep us up
Pints in the Sportsman and Chips on the running track.
The last game - we were off to The Amex

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
One of my personal favourite memories was, against Millwall at Withdean. Dennis Wise was manager and as the Millwall right back pushed up towards the halfway line, Wise shouted, "LEFT, LEFT, PLAY IT F*****G LEFT!!!". The full back promptly hoofed it straight across the pitch to no one and out for a throw. The guy sat behind me (who I believe is poster on here), hilariously shouted "Was that left enough for you Wisey?". Which not only prompted laughter from the stands but Wise himself got up from the dugout and turned to the stand, hand up in the air acknowledging the shout :)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
One of my personal favourite memories was, against Millwall at Withdean. Dennis Wise was manager and as the Millwall right back pushed up towards the halfway line, Wise shouted, "LEFT, LEFT, PLAY IT F*****G LEFT!!!". The full back promptly hoofed it straight across the pitch to no one and out for a throw. The guy sat behind me (who I believe is poster on here), hilariously shouted "Was that left enough for you Wisey?". Which not only prompted laughter from the stands but Wise himself got up from the dugout and turned to the stand, hand up in the air acknowledging the shout :)

He was a good sport laughing at the song we had for him. Oompah Loompah Dippity Do, You've got a midget managing you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here